Gearbox and Engine Mounts

Righto, longer road trips and growing tinnitus along with impending deafness means my past choice of hard engine and gearbox mounts seem like a bad decision.  They've also been installed for a few years now anyway.

What's the current thought on mounts.  Was thinking some club sport engine mounts such as these https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/secd6413c5fa1/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/2128.  But what about G50 gearbox mounts?  I'm not wanting the expense of a whole new mount with bonded in bushes, so will need some press fit after market jobbies.

I currently have Superpro on the engine with Rennline Semi Solid HD on the transmission.  The Rennline items are relatively low miles but removing them will destroy them, anyone fancy a G50 ali mount and bush swap?

My mind is saying CS/Cab engine mounts to start with, then reuse the Superpro on the transmission as they should be more compliant than the Rennline items.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Nige said:

Righto, ... growing tinnitus along with impending deafness

Not you as well :banghead:

My mind is saying CS/Cab engine mounts to start with, then reuse the Superpro on the transmission as they should be more compliant than the Rennline items.

I think that's what I had - no problems.

Edited by Dr Rock

I think the other way round. Go for softer on the gearbox as, IMHO, there is far more noise transmitted from there than the engine mounts.

I've got superpro engine and gearbox mounts. I always liked them for their motorsport sounds but If you are looking for quieter items then would suggest getting the clubsport or new stock mounts as the superpro transmit a fair bit of gearbox whine.

I have those installed already Xris, my setup is those Rennline ones at the gearbox and Superpro at the engine.  Generally it's fine but I seem to be doing more longer road trips and the vibration and noise gets tiring.

Just now, Nige said:

I have those installed already Xris, my setup is those Rennline ones at the gearbox and Superpro at the engine.  Generally it's fine but I seem to be doing more longer road trips and the vibration and noise gets tiring.

True, I have ear plugs (what the motor cyclist use) for the noise, vibration I think that just maybe the nature of modded IB's, but perhaps the CS maybe the trick

I had Superpro in mine for a few years,  got fed up in the end with noise/ vibration,  I initially changed g/box ones for club sport ones,  then a year later changed the engine ones to club sport ones, much nicer, 

The car did feel great in a way with the Superpro’s,  a very race car feel.

Last year I even put some soundproof in it,  

A slow aged related decline into softness,  😬😬😬

My 3.2 has Super pro (engine and gbox) and my SC has the club sport/cab ones (engine and gbox). Both set ups suit the respective cars and my use of them.

Form your what you say you are trying to achieve, I would recommend going with the club sport ones on both engine and gbox.

Mark

Posted (edited)

Club Sport ones only seem to be available already pressed into the engine mounts.

Is it just the case of pressing the bush out of mount and then pressing them into the G50 gearbox support bar.

767093889453_ml.jpeg

Edited by Nige

I think the Rennline G50 mount can be pressed out like normal G50 rubber without damaging it? I pressed out the original ones and seems alright.

I bought Rennline G50 normal hardness one before realising the engine and gearbox mount rubber pieces are the same, kind to stupid. I also think the 2 piece Rennline design may cause problem, the centre metal tube should be a 1-piece thing to provide enough stiffness.

Isn't all 4 mounts should be more or less same hardness, or it may increase the vibration because of imbalance?

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update, I've installed the Club Sport mounts Ian has kindly loaned.  I've fitted them to the engine end and it's much improved, a lot less droning from the exhaust and less vibration, these replaced the Superpro items I installed about 8 years.  A success from my point of view.  Even some of the minor rattles from the sunroof panel and an annoying one from the passenger door has stopped!

Now going to install CS mounts at the gearbox end, I'm guess if I buy CS engine mounts I can then carefully press then out of the metal outer and then press back into my G50 gearbox mount?  Anyone done this?  Are they bonded to the metal?  Can the rubber be purchased separately?

If you are reading Matt, do you know if there is any visual difference between engine and gearbox mounts, just the rubber part?

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/2128

Really very easy with simple tools and common sense.  Half an hour

The only thing that can really go wrong is if one of the long bolts through the mount into the engine cross member is seized.  This can cause damage to the end of the cross member, as trying to undo the seized bolt can twist the end off the cross member.  Get plenty of Rostoff or similar into the area beforehand and it should be ok

56 minutes ago, Beaky said:

How ease is it to swap over engine mounts?

To answer the question properly.  Support the engine with a jack.  Undo and remove the two small bolts holding the mount to the body.  Undo the large bolt through the centre and remove, being careful to watch that you are not twisting the end off the cross member as mentioned above.  Remove the mount.  Fit the new mount and refit the bolts with a some Copperslip or similar on the main bolt to stop seizing in the future.  Torque up to the correct spec.  Do the other side the same.

Because of the configuration of the cross member the right hand end is most liable to break off if the bolt is seized.

I have WEVO blue in at the moment, but may try out a set of Club Sport ones to see if it reduces the fatigue levels that the current set up delivers. 

1 minute ago, Ian Comerford said:

To answer the question properly.  Support the engine with a jack.  Undo and remove the two small bolts holding the mount to the body.  Undo the large bolt through the centre and remove, being careful to watch that you are not twisting the end off the cross member as mentioned above.  Remove the mount.  Fit the new mount and refit the bolts with a some Copperslip or similar on the main bolt to stop seizing in the future.  Torque up to the correct spec.  Do the other side the same.

Because of the configuration of the cross member the right hand end is most liable to break off if the bolt is seized.

👍