Modifying gear lever

Having long legs and with the seat set to fully depress the clutch (915 g/box) I find it a bit of a stretch to put into 1st, 3rd and 5th. From the options list I have the Porsche short shift fitted. Is this purely a shortened gear lever?

Has anyone modified their gear lever so that the knob is moved about 50mm to the rear. 

Short-shift is a reduced motion of the lever not an actual shorter gear lever. If you put it back to stock, the lever will go forward more and come back further in the upper and lower gears. Your coupler could be adjusted to bring the shift back a bit I suspect but it may mess up the whole shift pattern. If you mark it as it is and play with it, you can always return to the original position if it doesn't work. 

18 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Your coupler could be adjusted to bring the shift back a bit I suspect but it may mess up the whole shift pattern.

Won't work, to get all the gears the linkage has to be adjusted to do just that, not to a preferred position.

I would suggest extending the gear lever itself.

Mark

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, SilverWT said:

Won't work, to get all the gears the linkage has to be adjusted to do just that, not to a preferred position.

I would suggest extending the gear lever itself.

Mark

It works on a 901 box. Well it did for me.

If the gear stick is extended it'll come back at you more for 2nd/4th but be further away for 1st/3rd/5th? Maybe a dog legged extension piece that brings everything back towards the rear of the car?

Edited by Busybee
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Busybee said:

If the gear stick is extended it'll come back at you more for 2nd/4th but be further away for 1st/3rd/5th? Maybe a dog legged extension piece that brings everything back towards the rear of the car?

I think this is what I had envisaged a sort of S shape. 

Does anyone have a spare std gear lever lying around doing nothing?

6 hours ago, mean in green said:

That's what I did - 50mm extension piece inserted in the top of the lever.

This ^^^^^^ 👍