Extra brake light switch - any reason not to put a hole just here?

Am mocking up a bracket to take an additional brake light switch and am thinking of drilling and tapping a small hole just here.

Seems hollow with just the rod from the pedal to the booster inside. Any good reason not to do it?

870D1710-D185-4998-A2A7-B528A7F0260E.jpeg

@SilverWT did a switch mod here somewhere which was quite near. I put a early switch by the brake pedal which works well. Sorry I didn't answer your question but there are alternatives to drilling holes where they shouldn't be or that might cause an issue.

Edited by Phill

2 hours ago, mean in green said:

Am mocking up a bracket to take an additional brake light switch and am thinking of drilling and tapping a small hole just here.

Seems hollow with just the rod from the pedal to the booster inside. Any good reason not to do it?

Yes it's hollow, but you would be a fair distance away from the linkage where your red cross is. This would make it more difficult to reach/align the switch with the shaft.

If I was to do it again, I would take the same approach as last time and make a "bung" to fit in the hole that carries the switch.

Mark

Thanks, I’d forgotten about that thread. Might have a rummage around in my electrical spares to see if I have a sacrificial bung option instead.

I had been thinking of making a bracket to hold the switch, which would pass through the top hole in the casting where there’s usually a transparent grommet. The two studs above the casting look like they would work well as bracket mounting points along with adding a small hole for a third bracket fixing at the bottom.

Something like this possibly (crude first attempt, can be slimmed down once dialled in...).

EC2AD822-7451-4E5C-82AB-DA18114AA9DE.jpeg

239EFEC9-567F-40BD-807F-2DB00E2D0A0B.jpeg

• mean in green changed the title to Extra brake light switch - any reason not to put a hole just here?