These days my primary interest is the 930, but I share a couple of other classics with my father-in-law. He's a lifelong AC Ace owner, but while I find them beautiful and fun in certain conditions, I never desired owning one, but a Cobra is a different story entirely. Ours is a 1964 Mk2 FIA spec ex-racer. After we retired it from competition the 289 engine has been rebuilt to 440bhp with aluminium heads. It's on quad Webers instead of the single Holey, etc. It's a firebreather, but keeps shredding the clutch (still under investigation with the engine builder), so has had little use over the past year.

We also have a Sunbeam Tiger Mk2, which has a tuned Ford 302 (we have the original 289), but its character couldn't be different from the Cobra's. Tiger is all low down torque, while the Cobra really thrives on revs.

17904425_10154462512492113_9756578806837

DSC00642.JPG?format=750w

• Like 1

Wow 440bhp from a 2 eighty nine, I'd love to see the dyno sheet on that one. Love the quick lifts on the front, thinking 'bout them for mine and you got some serious rubber on the front there.

1 minute ago, ignatzcatz said:

Wow 440bhp from a 2 eighty nine, I'd love to see the dyno sheet on that one. Love the quick lifts on the front, thinking 'bout them for mine and you got some serious rubber on the front there.

I would love to see the dyno sheet too as it's the builder's claim! The whole thing is pretty trick, but it's a bit arbitrary at this point until the clutch issue is sorted. Long story short, the engine went to a very respected builder and he went to town with it, but has had trouble matching it to a gearbox which can handle it (it destroyed a T5 within a few miles) and although I don't know if it's related, it keeps shredding clutches, so until we get to the bottom of it we might as well have no engine at all.

All of the mods you can see are part of the FIA spec, including the balloon tyres, albeit these are road legal. It has full extinguisher plumbing, cutoff switches, etc. It started life as a normal road Mk2, but was then converted and raced by the previous owner. The engine was already quite high spec, but had to race with the original iron heads. When we got it it was quite tired, so the question was how far to go with the rebuild, and it seems the answer should've been "Not this far!".

4 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

the Cobra looks a beast! must be mighty with that bhp :steering:

I drove it only a couple of times between the clutch issues (my FIL got stranded on the side of the road on the day we took that photo with the 930). It's not as terrifying as people assume, very progressive and friendly in the dry. I think it would turn lethal pretty quickly in the wet.

I think a Cobra or an R8 is the only thing I'd swap my 911 for.  Though I'd have to put up with a replica :(

3 minutes ago, Nige said:

I think a Cobra or an R8 is the only thing I'd swap my 911 for.  Though I'd have to put up with a replica :(

Ultima GTR! 🤗