Rear Torsion Bar - Broken

flappa2

Looking for advice with regards sourcing a pair of Rear Torsion Bars, I am working with a snapped item (broken splined section still in situ 😬). Matt has informed me that they are NLA from Porsche.

Would also appreciate some guidance on what parameters to go by when selecting replacements. I have measured the plain shaft diameter as 24.2mm, 44 splines on the outer body.

Thanks Flappa2

Just now, Phill said:

There always seem to be second hand ones knocking about unless you specifically want new?

Given the severity of the failure I would rather go new Phil. Thankfully I was travelling at very low speed at the time.

24.1mm on the rears from factory, aftermarket ones seem to start about 26m and up so they will be a bit firmer, about £500 a pair

11 minutes ago, Type911 said:

24.1mm on the rears from factory, aftermarket ones seem to start about 26m and up so they will be a bit firmer, about £500 a pair

Aftermarket available from UK stockists Matt ?

Personally I'd be less concerned about the potential risk failure of good condition (i.e. not excessively corroded or pitted) s/h OEM items than anything that has been Zinc Plated ??!!!!

1 hour ago, topcarrera said:

Personally I'd be less concerned about the potential risk failure of good condition (i.e. not excessively corroded or pitted) s/h OEM items than anything that has been Zinc Plated ??!!!!

Buy it from D911 it will probably be “used” anyway 😋

3 hours ago, topcarrera said:

You might have a different opinion if you had experienced the failure, thankfully I was travelling below 30 at the time.

Unfortunately you won't will not be able to ascertain the condition of a used part by visual inspection and you could be fitting a part 90% through its life cycle without visible defects. For me the lower risk solution is replacement with a new item.

I know you asked about UK suppliers but Sway-Away solid torsion bars are $375 plus shipping for a pair 23mm or 25mm torsion bars to a fit a 915 fitted 3.2 from Elephant Racing in the US.  I bought my hollow torsion bars (can't remember the brand) from Elephant Racing in 2019 and had no problems with shipping, fitting or, subsequently, with reliability in use.  Obviously, there is a chance of getting stung for duty and VAT,but at £266 at today's exchange rate you have some space to play with price wise.

Over the years I've read just as many reports on the various forums about failed new bars as old ones. It's a very rare thing either way. I vaguely remember @SilverWT putting how thread about it but could be wrong.

11 hours ago, jehatwhitland said:

I know you asked about UK suppliers but Sway-Away solid torsion bars are $375 plus shipping for a pair 23mm or 25mm torsion bars to a fit a 915 fitted 3.2 from Elephant Racing in the US.  I bought my hollow torsion bars (can't remember the brand) from Elephant Racing in 2019 and had no problems with shipping, fitting or, subsequently, with reliability in use.  Obviously, there is a chance of getting stung for duty and VAT,but at £266 at today's exchange rate you have some space to play with price wise.

Useful info thanks

4 hours ago, Phill said:

Over the years I've read just as many reports on the various forums about failed new bars as old ones. It's a very rare thing either way. I vaguely remember @SilverWT putting how thread about it but could be wrong.

Ok Phil, I will see what comes to the thread. Thanks

10 hours ago, Phill said:

Not me this time, Jonny Hart  had problems with new rear T bars going soft.

I can add some experience though. My 3.2 has second hand 26mm turbo rear T bars which it has run for about 7 years of hard use (including track) without issue. If second hand bars are blemish free i.e. no scratches at all in the paint on the shafts there is a good bet they will last. They are handed though (marked with a "L" or "R" on the end face) and putting them on the wrong side will be a problem.

Mark