help paint job gone wrong... I think

Jono

Morning guys, 

I hope your all well, I wondered if you could help me as I'm a complete noob with this. 

I recently brought a 82 SC it needed a little bit of work and I've been going through ticking each bit off. The biggest part was the rust and dodgy paint on the lower bumpers, valances and skirts. I took it to a reputable shop near me that was recommended by good friends and also mentioned that they had painted old 911s before (some garages I went to asked me to take it apart as they hadn't seen anything like this lol) 

anyhow fast forward to the job being done and me collecting the car, as a heads up i've already paid for the work.  it was £1000 on the nose that was broken down to me as £170 in paint and the remainder in labour. when I picked the car up I didn't notice it but as i've had a real good look at it there is a slight colour variation. he ended up panting the drivers side door as the blend didn't work out but now looking at the rear quarter and the door you can see the difference. my original colour looks like it has a gold colour in it its darker. when I asked him about this he mentioned that he had done multiple spray outs with multiple undercoats and this is what has come out. He has asked me to leave it for a few weeks to let the colour settle in, in the hopes that would make a difference will that actually do anything. I mean it looks like the wrong colour to me.... one thing that I was thinking about was that the car did have a respray previously so could the difference to do with that maybe? from the from it doesn't appear to be too noticeable, the bumpers where painted along with the driver side wing. 

so yeah just after some advice with what I should do really. I just want it right and if that means taking it elsewhere and loosing 1K then that's the lesson I will have to learn here. 

thank you in advance :) 

IMG_5614.JPG

IMG_5615.JPG

IMG_5616.JPG

IMG_5617.JPG

IMG_5618.JPG

IMG_5619.JPG

IMG_5620.JPG

Metallics are *really* awkward to match up. I suspect the lacquer is slightly aging/yellowing on the rear? Is it the same paint system all round the car?  I don’t think it will get any better :twocents: My car was Venetian Blue and there are 2 versions of this colour: are there for yours?

• Like 1

Not commenting on your painter's ability but where the A-pillar meets the door meets the wing meets the scuttle on my metallic blue SC all the panels are slightly different colours :(

Metallics are indeed a total b**ch to match. 

Guess they didn't use a scanner on the car to match the existing paint and simply mixed to the paint code. That's the issue I would suggest. I've just had some paint done on a metallic SC and it came out pretty spot on using the scanner but a panel blend was still required to fully disguise it. Nice SC by the way.

+1 with regards to them not using a scanner, I think it may be worth considering getting the rest of the car repainted as well to match the new paint, in my opinion new paint next to old won’t work especially with a metallic colour.

Whichever way you go the paint should match all over the car. Leaving it for a while won’t make enough of a difference from the photos. It seems like he’s done a good job of painting the bits he’s done so far, getting the rest of the car to match will cost more money but it means you’ll get the most out of the money you’ve already spent. Good luck I hope it works out.

Edited by SurlySurdi

Hi guys thanks for the replies,

yes it’s the same off silver colour all around the car, in some lights it almost has a gold/ brown quality. 

from what I believe he did have the colour tested and experimented with different undercoat colours like red and yellow. In the end on his test sprays on small metal bits this one came out closest and he said that’s as close as he could get. 

Hmm, while I agree with the various comments above, I would expect a professional to get closer than the pictures indicate.

Is it Zinnmetallic?

I've painted various panels and patches on both my 3.2 and SC at home and while not a perfect match it's not bad. No messing with undercoat tones, paint just mixed to code and different paint systems, e.g. the flat lid on the SC

IMAG1523.thumb.jpg.d43d86f7af9a648a0a0f43267041d743.jpg

IMHO the spraying method, i.e. how the metallic particles lay, has a more significant effect than slight tone differences. 

Mark

10 minutes ago, SilverWT said:

IMHO the spraying method, i.e. how the metallic particles lay, has a more significant effect than slight tone differences. 

Mark

+1

Was just about to make the same point.  A scanner will do nothing to help eliminate appearance differences that can be generated with some metallics simply through application technique (gun pressure, spray angle, wet coat thickness, etc ....)   

My Dad has just had a bumper done in a light metallic on his new Golf. Using the filler flap they scanned / mixed / kept adjusting until it was right.

Seems to be as much down to the competency of the guy mixing it as the one doing the painting.  

Chips Away and all those other smart repair guys seem to manage to match and blend repairs seamlessly.  The differences are quite obvious in the photos.  Problem is deciding what to do I guess.

I think you are right and I agree that the new paint is far too light. With matching old paint you'd expect some difference, but this seems too far apart to me. The fact that he had to paint the whole door tells me that the blend was so off this was the lesser evil.

an update for you all 😀

It’s going back, I’m also going to take the petrol filler cap to the paint shop and have the colour specified myself to then take to the body shop. 

is there anything I else I should do to try and get the best match possible. 

the painter is now going to paint the full side of the car for free to make things right so I think I’m going to pay a little extra and get the whole car done. 

that will make his life easier and give a much better finish 

5 hours ago, Northy said:

then put new ones on.   

Noooooooo, none original and no place on anything other than a wide body car, IMHO of course.

Mark

7 hours ago, Jono said:

an update for you all 

...the painter is now going to paint the full side of the car for free to make things right... 

• Like 1

I love the shark fins 😂😂 

I’ll make sure he takes them off don’t worry. 

Hi rich I haven’t had a chat about that with him yet, I can let you know how much I order when I do. 

Great idea to buy some extra