Back in Black

Bugs 77

Ha!, a little bit to do before they go on Siy. The old wheels will stay on until I trailer the car back up to Perth because I strap the car down through the rims, another week or so and that will be happening, still waiting on my decals and stripes (supposed to be going on as we speak) then I can put the front and rear windows in and away we go.

In the meantime I've ordered the new air con, alternator to suit and front fuse panel from Classic Retrofit, will cover installing all that as I tidy up the wiring and front trunk area. Below is a couple of happy snaps of the new exhaust to keep things rolling.

904819522_Exhaust1.jpeg.7fa3cf60bae0222c7241cb7ba7be78ef.jpeg

2048783103_Exhaust2.jpeg.641dda60e86368fd3f19655fd81425c2.jpeg

Zoom :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wheels now have rubber on them, and this just turned up on the doorstep. All the bits for the new aircon and fuse panel from Classic Retrofit, thanks Jonny.

IMG_0974.thumb.JPG.37b13d5d605f0cf03b4d893a5075e503.JPG

So I have been assured the stripes and decals will go on by Wednesday, Should I book the car trailer for Thursday?

From here it's off back to Richards workshop in Perth for electrical tidy up, fit aircon, refresh suspension and fit the engine.

Graphics are on, I'll put the windows in and ship it up to Perth next week.

IMG_0999.thumb.JPG.a7427ae5f947ca3c382ba8144e128a0b.JPG

The graphics colour (satin black in the end) matches all the rubber bits which is nice.

IMG_1002.thumb.JPG.5664222a43e52cbb37ae7a96bdd42362.JPG

Carrera script comes and goes from view depending on angle and light. Sill cover to go on after oil lines go back in, I like having the sill covers as I think they make the car look lower.

IMG_1004.thumb.JPG.5bbe4cdf28efaf4924c3422321467a81.JPG

The end.

IMG_1001.JPG

IMG_1003.JPG

• Like 2

Right, car is now up at Richards, as soon as the car was rolled in the new wheels had to go on.

Quick check underneath to make a list of bits needed to do the suspension refresh and make a plan of action. All will come apart, various bits will go to powder coaters and platers this week then reassembled later with all new bushing, tie rods etc. While those bits are being done we'll attack the electrics and aircon, engine is just awaiting the carbies then can go in. If all goes well most will be finished off over the Xmas break, as the borders are closed we're locked in our state and not going anywhere, except perhaps the beach.

IMG_1016.thumb.JPG.dd8cdb57022bc6ed239bde8e851ea3bb.JPG

Went back up to RJP Motorsport last Friday to do a bit more, through the week Richard had removed all the suspension and already cleaned and painted brake callipers and the disc hubs. Spring plates had been modified (to make setting ride height easier) and sent to platers along with all other necessary hardware. I took various brackets and the A arms home to give to our local powdercoaters on the Monday morning then got a call that afternoon to say they had been done!, will pick those up today.

While up at Richard's workshop I was given the task of finishing the cleanup underneath with the car on the hoist (did I ever mention Richard is a concourse judge too!), was able to finish spraying out black under the guards with the suspension out after Richard checked the spring plate mounting points and welded up one crack we found. All fuel lines have been replaced and then we started to fit out the engine bay electrics which include MSD unit and appropriate coil, at which point we decided to make a cover for it, not to hide that gear completely but for more of a feature. All old alarms and other now redundant electrical bits and their associated wiring has now been removed along with old blower unit ready to install the new AC. Another thing I found was that although I had cleaned up the gearbox Richard had upped the ante by replacing all the old nuts and bolts on it with new ones.
New PMO carbs are on their way.

1363757464_Electricscover.jpeg.1b7fb8f3d748a52cdd693880e0138d40.jpeg

You get a sneak peak of what's behind, mirrors Rennline footboards inside the car.

• Like 1

Another run up to RJP on Saturday to deliver the powder coated bits, check on progress and lend assistance where possible, given the job of sanding front strut parts clean before repainting. Richard has all well under control putting things back together again and has cleaned up all the electrics, we tested the sunroof and it's working perfectly so no burnt out motor like I was dreading. Flipped the wiper motor around so wipers now stop on the correct RHD position, all the work was done right in the cars conversion but the motor was put back in to still park the wipers on the other side. Richard did comment that the pedal box conversion was done very well too so that's nice to know.

IMG_1023.thumb.JPG.51b5942d8194f8fcf20cd016d299c2c8.JPG

Along with tidying up the electrics we fitted a new Classic Retro fuse board.

IMG_1025.thumb.JPG.038afda21a495f31e998469114efb15e.JPG

AC condenser slotted in nicely along with the drier. This car had factory AC before, with that there is a condenser and fan fitted up in the front where the new electric compressor goes. The old condenser is housed in a raised section of bodywork that is not in non factory AC cars, Richard cut a section of this raised section out and sealed off the hole flush, this allows the new compressor to sit down properly as designed by Classic Retro for a previously non AC car.

IMG_1022.thumb.JPG.d1e6b438b448a47743f266da9ad47200.JPG

Oil lines all back in, uprated front oil cooler will be fitted. Rear suspension going back in too, little mod to adjustable spring plates is a couple of small welds to the front locking nut bolt so no need to get a spanner in the small space between spring plate and body while fine tuning ride height.

IMG_1024.thumb.JPG.97626184838b72526a8a51b101c9bbac.JPG

Front starting to go together too, all cleaned up, new break lines and Turbo tie rods.

IMG_1026.thumb.JPG.e67a65ae37cd36930c9a10c3c340b3b5.JPG

Motor, just awaiting carberetters 

IMG_1027.thumb.JPG.3bc7f459240aa9005178c2423a0044a1.JPG

I like this.

• Like 2

Just read this, what a great effort Bugs.

I had similar manifolds on my old 71 car and loved them, not sure why I wasn't bothered about heating back...

Seats look great, are they vinyl and is the colour cork?

Yes Cork and yes vinyl, original interior was cork vinyl trim with cork leather seats but they don't match as well. Because of the hotter climate here vinyl seats with cloth inserts is less sweaty too.

Down the track I'll source some sports seats and finish those the same as these but these will be fine for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Merry Xmas everyone, hope all is well wherever you are and you're enjoying a good break if possible.

Just before all closed for Xmas the carburetors and shock absorbers where delivered, after Richard's festivities were over he snuck into work and finished off fitting the suspension and trial fitted the new front oil cooler.IMG_1049.thumb.JPG.c0bcacf22b6be9603d499b7b31b77a82.JPG

Factory fresh up front now.

IMG_1043.thumb.JPG.be122b99e6f15619b1c59f14119d9ea9.JPG

Uprated oil cooler in, just awaiting some custom brackets.

I came up this morning to get in the way, was like Xmas again unpacking the PMO carburetors and assembling ready to fit.

IMG_1038.thumb.JPG.2512141bbe28c4373483024c7d62c4d7.JPG

Carbs on, linkages set, spark plugs and leads in to see how they'll sit.

IMG_1046.thumb.JPG.a36ed84414f452ca0e8243015e59f8b6.JPG

Lighter but uprated alloy clutch fitted then gearbox mated to engine.

IMG_1048.thumb.JPG.7630de73029320557e2e51eb4dc71f46.JPG

And in she goes, I can't believe how well this is going together and how good it looks.

IMG_1050.thumb.JPG.774d158228aaa482c962b3e164238d22.JPG

Super clean looking in there, exhaust looks the business. Blacked out the white surround of the number plates too.  

IMG_1053.thumb.JPG.64b9afc541194926ed047c4ca6bdb658.JPG

With engine in and car back down on terror firmer we where able to check the ride height, still need to lower the rear more. It was lowered from previously but we've removed quite a bit of rear weight and probably didn't factor that in enough so it will need further adjustment. But that's enough done this morning, it's warming up in here now, Perth has had 40+ degs C the last 4 days so it's time to knock off. Back again in the cool of tomorrow morning.

Back to the workshop the next morning, we reset the ride height to where we wanted it and then put the sill covers back in place.

Next the fuel lines where all set up, and after a check over all the electrics plus a ham and salad roll for lunch Richard mentions that we should fire it up. Now I must mention that this is where you see Richard get very serious for half an hour or so, no more joking, just pay attention and turn the key when told. I have some iphone footage of the result, just have to work out how to get it on here.

Anyway not long to go and it'll be roadtest time, can't wait.

On 18/09/2021 at 06:01, Bugs 77 said:

This morning I made a new parcel shelf, luckily I had enough black vinyl left from recovering the door top trims and there was enough cork vinyl I got in to do new door panels to use to finish the bulkhead part of the parcel shelf.
I took the black across level with the side trim tops so I think that flows around well, plus I sewed in some detail to match the stripes that will go on the outside of the car.

IMG_0864.thumb.JPG.4a228ca81a8c171361e655c9a8d5b4ee.JPG

IMG_0867.thumb.JPG.d8607d386f743158cc1dc168be4ea948.JPG

All will be locked in place by the two luggage strap saddles that go on top and there will be the two black screws that go down in the lower two corners. I forgot to fit the metal tab on the lower central part of the cover that slips into a locator on the bulkhead before I covered the backing board, bit annoyed, but it seems to be sitting well without it so all good.

Reading this thread backwards,  I was wondering where these sewing skills came from. Sailmaking! Wonderful work.

Thanks for sharing. 

Al

17 hours ago, Jonny Hart said:

Looking good.  See the AC condenser in there,   Is there enough tyre clearance with the drier in that position?

Hi Jonny, yes clearance is ok. Richard has used this position before with no problems. I was more concerned about stones but I think most of that goes out back, when you think about it standard drier is behind the wheel so can't hurt being in front if clearance is ok.