Siy

Hello all... great site that you have here..... Have just started my research!

I am looking to buy an old Targa - am very open to anything 70's/80's

Love the SC so that may be top of my list... but my budget is probably going to restrict me... £30-40k

Do I realistically stand a chance of finding something that I can drive on weekends when the sun shines? I dont mind a bit of restoration, but am not very handy, so likely to end up paying for stuff to be done.
~Ideally would like to buy from someone known to this site, as it seems apparent the love you guys have for your p&j's....

All info gratefully received... am off to start searching!

Simon

I think you should find something very useable Targa in your budget, coupes too.  

Only backend of last year, might still be for sale?

Thank you for the responses guys... yes, thats my fear.. there are some bad ones out there, and being new to this, will take all the advice I can get. Happy to admit my knowledge is almost zero....!

Nige, the link that you send, does not display as it seems I dont have permission?

Is there a cheaper/less 'sellable' colour when it comes to these beauties? I have been in ferrari's for a while and red is obviously more in demand and expensive than blacks etc....

with the 911, I love the guards red 80s look... reminds me of drooling after them as a kid!

Secretly hoping someone on here, has a perfectly fettled Targa that they are waiting to sell at rock bottom money!!! Guess I wont be that lucky, but please point me in the right direction if anyone sees something interesting....

I've just had a pcgb valuation on my 77 targa (to keep up with the current surge in prices) - 55k! 

I think you'll find one but it may need work. Targa's seem to have become quite cool of late. 

12 minutes ago, Siy said:

Thank you for the responses guys... yes, thats my fear.. there are some bad ones out there, and being new to this, will take all the advice I can get. Happy to admit my knowledge is almost zero....!

Nige, the link that you send, does not display as it seems I dont have permission?

Is there a cheaper/less 'sellable' colour when it comes to these beauties? I have been in ferrari's for a while and red is obviously more in demand and expensive than blacks etc....

with the 911, I love the guards red 80s look... reminds me of drooling after them as a kid!

Secretly hoping someone on here, has a perfectly fettled Targa that they are waiting to sell at rock bottom money!!! Guess I wont be that lucky, but please point me in the right direction if anyone sees something interesting....

You need to be a paid member to see classifieds https://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/index.php?/subscriptions/  That's from October last year silver/grey 3.2 targa for £32k good condish.

I don't think colour affects values unless it's some obscure beige/chiffon.  Insured agreed value is always much more than selling price.

Just get out there and start looking at a few.

Don't just look at outer bodywork. 911s of that age have no wheel arch liners so mud/water get right up inside the wings.

If possible get any vehicle you are looking at on a lift. Check out the kidney bowls under the rear wings, get your hand in and give them a good feel, any give in them, walk away, same on the sills. Similar at the front look up at where the outer wing joins the inner wings give a good poke around for signs of rust. Lots of after market underseal could mean its trying to conceal the rot.

There's a thread on here about a good looking car with some very poor repairs (not mine).

And my Targa is currently in the shop having sills and other bad repairs fixed.  

Welcome and good luck with the search. Any particular reason you are looking at Targas only? As a Targa owner myself, if I did it all again, I’d go for a coupe with a sunroof. And probably keep the Targa as well :D

Thank you all so much for the help... What a great bunch.... looking forward to becoming a regular!

Why a Targa....? had a think about how to answer that, and just sum it up like this....  'because they are cool'!

I loved the Targas when I was a kid - iconic shape... I normally drive a convertible, and love wind in the hair.  Just not overly keen on the older 911 convertibles (just my take), and think the Targa is the place to be. I know they arent as popular... but it works for me!

Appreciate all the words of wisdom above... have made a couple of enquiries, but think its good advice to be patient, and wait for the right one... lets see what comes up. Please do keep me posted if anyone spots something that looks good out there 😉

Thanks again guys for the help!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mean in green said:

Post up here any that you like the look of, you might be amazed at the eagle eyed abilities that exist. 

Definitely, take this one up in Edinburgh.  Looks pretty good, bang in your price point.  But....

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102259475360?advertising-location=at_cars&include-delivery-option=on&postcode=de58nd&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&price-to=40000&make=PORSCHE&model=911&radius=1500&sort=year-asc&page=1

.... Its described as 1978 3.0 Cab, though it's clearly a Targa, its actually got a later 3.2 engine installed and 3.2 interior parts plus other later model body details.  Nothing mentioned in the description either.  DVLA also have it listed as a 3.0

Might be legit, but you'd need to ask the right questions.

1 hour ago, mean in green said:

Post up here any that you like the look of, you might be amazed at the eagle eyed abilities that exist. 

...and add your location in your details so we can see roughly where you are based. There may be someone local to you that can offer some help.

Brilliant help guys.  Thank you. I hope I cam reciprocate in time. 
am based in Weybridge Surrey- but expecting to travel to find the right car.  Will be keen to get inspections done too.  And yes - for the eagle-eyes here, will be sure to post what I find

thanks again.  Great place to be and already giving some comfort!

On 28/06/2021 at 15:37, Busybee said:

I've just had a pcgb valuation on my 77 targa (to keep up with the current surge in prices) - 55k! 

I think you'll find one but it may need work. Targa's seem to have become quite cool of late. 

Always were cool, just nobody realised it! 😉 

• Like 1

On 28/06/2021 at 17:17, Nige said:

This looks cracking https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1318557 one of the best colours too.  Assuming it's still for sale.

so this one does float my boat.. I have seen a couple others also which interest, so I am far from certain on it.

As above you mentioned its ok to ask a few questions from the greater knowledge pool....

So the Minerva blue one, linked above, has been owned for last 15 years by a mechanic who has done much of his own work.. for me  I think thats a plus. He has been very honest about its deficiencies, so I trust the seller.

Where it has had rust (wings etc) he has cut it out and rewelded new plates in. I assume this is acceptable and a good thing????

It needs a new rear targa seal (are they hard to come by/expensive?) and could do with fuel pipes being replaced he said (not essential but sensible)

it has also been painted a few colours by him, before returning it to Minerva blue. any issue with that?

Finally - is  a Momo steering wheel standard or an aftermarket edition on these?

Thanks guys

The bodywork is the thing that soaks up a lot of time and money on these cars so I would like to see pictures of the work he did as proof of the depth to which he went.  Also who rebuilt the engine and what did they do/replace?  Without this detail how do you know these key aspects have been done properly, so maybe keep looking.

Posted (edited)

Momo not standard but a common change/upgrade.

Targa seals, not sure - guess they could be spendy

Rust in front wings - Fine if repairs are good

15 years ownership and DIY'ed - Fine, many here are the same

Fuel lines - Always sensible to monitor their condition due to age, also E10 regular unleaded being rolled out this year is not good for old fuel lines.  Provided you stick with premium fuel/E5 then fine.

Various colours - OK ish, depending on how well the colour changes have been applied.

If it's rust free and the engine is solid I don't think those things would put me off, would just see them as a bargaining point.

Overall defo worth a look but would need further investigation and independent inspection if you decide to take it further for piece of mind.

Stoke on Trent ain't too far from me.  Where are you based?

Edited by Nige

He has sent me photos of the bodywork, where he cut out and replaced... seems legit - but I dont really know what I am looking at. if anyone here can judge, I could email/whatsapp a  pic or two over....

1 minute ago, Nige said:

Momo not standard but a common change/upgrade.

Targa seals, not sure - guess they could be spendy

Rust in front wings - Fine if repairs are good

15 years ownership and DIY'ed - Fine, many here are the same

Fuel lines - Always sensible to monitor their condition due to age, also E10 regular unleaded being rolled out this year is not good for old fuel lines.  Provided you stick with premium fuel/E5 then fine.

Various colours - OK ish, depending on how well the colour changes have been applied.

If it's rust free and the engine is solid I don't think those things would put me off, would just see them as a bargaining point.

Overall defo worth a look but would need further investigation and independent inspection if you decide to take it further for piece of mind.

Stoke on Trent ain't too far from me.  Where are you based?

I am in Surrey - so quite a schlepp...  Would def get an inspection done, once I have chosen the right one.