Audi or Volvo

Nige

Just perusing possible new cars for the wife.  My gut instinct is Audi as I'm a Vag fan boy, but thinking the Swede is bit of left field wolf in sheeps clothing options. 

Any opinions/experiences, the T5 seems a bit of rarity?

TT

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106234124197?fromSavedAds=true&advertising-location=at_cars

C30 T5

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106284368713?fromSavedAds=true&advertising-location=at_cars

When ever buying for the missus, I arrange for her to view many and drive a few, its amazing what they choose, compared to where ones initial thoughts were! 

Well they are both a bit yawntastic aren't they? No one is going to say to your wife "ooh nice car" are they? More like "is that what your husband gave you the option of, lucky you......." There are a million fat jellymould TTs on the road and they really are quite dull to look at and that Vulva is simply a mundane hatch/saloon hybrid jack of all trades. Do her a favour and simply ask what she uses the car for most of the time and what would she likes the look of. I'm sure she will come back and say "well, Darlene has just got one of those doobreywotsits. I went in it the other day and it's great, it did this and did that and this was useful and I liked the way the flangy bit twiddled round. Darlene says it is great for all that stuff and blah blah blah...... Oh and by the way I'm leaving you for her because she cares......." You didn't limit her choice and you made her feel like you care about what she wants.

Much like wot Beaky says.

Edited by Phill

Posted (edited)

Do you ever have anything positive to say Phil, sounds like you're on a p*ssed up rant?

She has short listed these 2, nowt to do with me other than pressing the buttons on autotrader.  Only thing I say is not French as it's me that has to maintain them and I hate working on French cars.

Edited by Nige

My mum had a C30 when they first came out and was less than impressed with its power after the tank she had before.  That said, when I drove a T5 tank, it was super impressive so I can only image a T5 C30 would be blistering.

Does the Audi come with the optional indicators (sorry, I’ll get my coat)

Edited by PeterK

39 minutes ago, Nige said:

Do you ever have anything positive to say Phil, sounds like you're on a p*ssed up rant?

She has short listed these 2, nowt to do with me other than pressing the buttons on autotrader.  Only thing I say is not French as it's me that has to maintain them and I hate working on French cars.

You have to read my posts with a healthy dose of sarcasm in them. I have a dry sense of humour which doesn't always come across in forum posts. 

That said, you asked and should accept people's opinions as they come. It appears I'm not the only one with a downer on one or both of your offerings? But if you prefer, here you go, they both look like wonderful cars which I am sure will give years of pleasurable driving and perform beyond expectations. I'd love either and I'm sure you'll be both pleased with whichever you choose.

Edited by Phill

Maybe throw in some useful suggestions Phil rather than a 'healthy dose' of sarcasm.  To be honest she says that's nice to almost anything.  But not that, but I'm working on 'that'

I'm struggling suggesting anything modern that isn't mundane.  

She said that's nice to her current CLK, which after 2 years is probably one of the most dullest cars she's admitted to owning.

She's had a string of fun hot hatches in the past, maybe time to revisit those.

All personal preference I know, but I would opt for the C30 over the TT in a heartbeat. Because of the fact that they’re actually fairly rare compared to the TT, they’re seen as a bit cool by some. The T5 will be a quick thing & will surprise a fair few ‘hot hatches’ out there. A couple of the lads at work had D5 C30s & they were bloody fast for a diesel, & the T5 is a big lump for a little car like that. One more pot than most of the similar cars of the era too. What’s not to like?

The one you’ve identified looks to have been well looked after with decent history & the mileage is low for the age.

My 2 quids worth, & good luck.

2 hours ago, Nige said:

Maybe throw in some useful suggestions

Alfa Romeo Brera. Less than your budget which leaves money for any work that needs doing.

Alfa 159 estate if you need space.

VW T-roc great looking small SUV.

New shape MX5-lovely, especially in a targa.

Posted (edited)

She's really quite taken by the C30, the dealer has two T5s to view, also this Civic Type R which she has had before as an EP3 which she loved.  

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107094843172?fromSavedAds=true&advertising-location=at_cars

I have suggested Breras and they are good value and good looking, again the same dealer has one in.  We'll be looking at quite a few tomorrow at the same place which is fortunate.  Not sure I can stomach £600 per year road tax and potential build costs.  

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105112495798?onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&make=ALFA ROMEO&year-to=2021&model=BRERA&include-delivery-option=on&radius=40&postcode=de58nd&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

2 seater is a no go, also hatchback/folding rear seats is needed.  

Edited by Nige

Civic or Volvo all day. The Brera V6 isn’t the Busso, rather the very ironically-monikered GM High Feature V6 which couldn’t be more of a hound if it urinated on fenceposts and shook itself vigorously when wet. 

2 hours ago, mean in green said:

Darlene’s probably got a Juke.

Ha, we had a 1.6 turbo tekna Juke for 3 years. 187hp and very quick but not in the least rewarding to drive. All felt a bit plasticky, wouldn't be on my recommended list. The x-trail we had prior to that was excellent though.

Edited by Phill

Test drove the Volvo and it felt too conservative and didn't really have the shove in the back we expected from a 2.5, 235bhp.  Guess the weight and autobox doesn't help.  Looked really nice though, but plasticy on the inside.

Scirroco is now looking like a contender but has to be the right spec. 

1 hour ago, Nige said:

Looks like it's going to be a Cooper S.

That's what my missus ended up with, but in convertible form.

The run flat tyres are awful, so price in a new set of normal tyres to improve the ride quality

👍 It'll be the second Cooper S she's had, yup first thing I did with the first one was to change the runflats out.