Lewis still doing it!

SurlySurdi

Really liked the format for qualifying today. Lewis still showing them how to do it. I'll plan to go next year as it's been a while (2008) since I've been as a spectator although I did a track day on the full GP circuit in 2018.

When I see either Silverstone or Brands on TV the itch to get out there starts again. Let's see what tomorrow brings, so glad the crowds are back in F1, it really makes a difference.

On 16/07/2021 at 20:39, Chris_911 said:

Really enjoyed that.

That was sheer class from Hamilton.

(But let's not forget what George Russell achieved today - wow!)

Oh yes, what a great race! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Christian :P :lol:

There's no class in punting off your main rival.....

Max Max Max
Super Max Max
Super super Max Max Max
Super Max Max
Super super Max Max Max
Super Max Max
Super super Max Max Max
Super Max Max

Both McLaren driver up there too,  good to see Ferrari and McLaren at the top

Thinks it's going to go down to the last race this year 😎

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

There's no class in punting off your main rival.....

This is the biggest problem with F1. They were racing hard which is almost never seen and to be applauded. H did not punt V off the track, there was masses of room, all V had to do was open the steering a smidge and it would have been avoided. H did the exact same thing later in the race and there was no contact. As for CH, to say that people shouldn't try and overtake is ridiculous.

As we (at home) discussed afterwards Red Bull is a drinks company and CH loves to be controversial because it brings more advertising. I'm surprised he didn't manage a tear or two. His comments were deliberately inflammatory and he just lost my respect as a serious racer. I could go on about his constant pandering to the TV and press but I don't want to upset Nige again ;):P. Mercedes are a serious car outfit and present a far more professional front IMHO. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Phill said:

This is the biggest problem with F1. They were racing hard which is almost never seen and to be applauded. H did not punt V off the track, there was masses of room, all V had to do was open the steering a smidge and it would have been avoided. H did the exact same thing later in the race and there was no contact. As for CH, to say that people shouldn't try and overtake is ridiculous.

Not to mention Max's preliminary attempt to squeeze Lewis into the 'old' pit wall on the run down to copse. 

17 hours ago, Phill said:

I don't want to upset Nige again ;):P

I don't recall ever being upset by anyone on the forum. 🙂

Hamilton did give Max a nudge, but why was Max forcing the issue like that on lap one? You’ve got a solid lead in the championship, the sprint race showed that pace was abundant on low fuel and conceding first on the opening lap is hardly a Greek tragedy.

What was gained from driving like that? A comprehensively mullered racecar, a championship lead halved, momentum to Lewis and let’s not forget a comprehensive ringing of your bell (51G impact!).

Championships aren’t won with balls-out opening laps, they are however lost. 

As for Horner’s theatrics and Toto’s emails? Bell-ends, the pair of ‘em.

was just a racing incident to me, both hard chargers were never going to back down and it was inevitable at either that corner or another, or the next track etc.  Bit rich of Max and RB calling out LH for aggressive driving! Max has done the same on several occasions and wiser Lewis has pulled out of it to avoid contact. The real shame was everyone was robbed of an epic race long fight between them. :( Both could have given each other a tad more room and carried on fighting.

Felt sorry for Leclerc, leading 50 laps!

Edited by MarkJ
  • Like 1

Max got away to many times with his aggressive moves over the last 6years.

Swerving on the track (many times) , brake checking Kimi at Spa, pushing Hamilton twice this year, pushing Leclerc off the track and others. 

I feel Lewis has had enough of those stupid moves and shown him what the consequences of wanting to race a bit too aggressively. 

I blame the FIA for Max attitude, they have been protecting him for far to long with his reckless driving. 

What I find amusing is that Hamilton is is 13 years older with a slower car and still giving some really hard time to a so called prodigy... 

Still, Verstapen should walk away with the championship if there is no relibilty issue. Their performance on soft tyres is astonishing(during Quali) . Off the line, Mercedes have no chance either, Redbull have the perfect machine. Respect to them for completely out smarting Mercedes with the new rules. 

• Like 1

30 years ago Racing incidents were handled slightly differently. 😅

1987 Belgian Grand Prix
After losing out to Ayrton Senna at the start, Nigel Mansell was keen to retake the lead as soon as possible and went for a move around the outside of the Fagnes chicane. Neither driver would give in and inevitably, the two collided. Senna was out on the spot while Mansell was forced to retire from the damage later in the race.

At that point, Mansell stormed down to the Lotus pits to chat with Senna and make his feelings known. He described what happened years later:

“I went over to him, grabbed him by the overalls and pushed him up against the wall. He wore loose overalls in those days and I pulled the zip up beyond his chin to just below his nose. ‘Next time you do that,’ I said, ‘You’re going to have to do a much better job.’”

Senna’s view was that he’d done nothing wrong, brilliantly saying:

“When a man holds you round the throat, I do not think that he has come to apologise.”

Apparently a few punches were thrown, and that was that. The race itself was won by Alain Prost, who drew level with Jackie Stewart on 27 wins, leaving him needing just one more to break the all-time record. Stefan Johansson finished second and Andrea de Cesaris third for Brabham.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Apparently slow motion footage shows that Verstappen deliberately jinked right at the last moment and caused the accident!

Definitely a racing incident, we're getting soft nowadays in F1, that's another reason why I get more enjoyment out of watching touring car racing, there is just so much more wheel-to-wheel action.

Back to F1 though, it's damn good to see a bit of proper racing rather than overtaking only happening during pit stops because a wheel gets stuck when changing it! 

From Joe Saward's blog.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2021/07/20/green-notebook-from-the-fog

"I think this one was a racing incident because the contact between the two cars was minimal, but with big consequences. Max came steaming across in front of Lewis and almost did it right. There wasn’t much Lewis could do to avoid an impact at that point, although I am also sure that he ddn’t want a collision. Amid all the noise after the crash, few seemed to pay much attention to the FIA Stewards’ decision – and they largely missed the point that Lewis was also given two penalty points. The cars, the stewards said, “entered Turn 9 with car 33 in the lead and car 44 slightly behind and on the inside. Car 44 was on a line that did not reach the apex of the corner, with room available to the inside. When car 33 turned into the corner, car 44 did not avoid contact and the left front of car 44 contacted the right rear of car 33. Car 44 is judged predominantly at fault”.

The last phrase is significant. The stewards clearly felt that that Lewis should take most of the blame, but the word “predominantly” indicates that there was also some fault involved with Verstappen. There was no penalty for the Dutchman as the implications of an accident – while not considered in the discussion of blame – are treated as punishment in such circumstances.

So, in effect, the stewards were saying that both drivers had some responsibility in the crash.

I’d call that a racing incident…"

6 minutes ago, Fred said:

Oh dear...

They need to move on and focus on the championship.

6 of one and half a dozen of the other, though the stewards have already judged Lewis to be more at fault, hence the penalty.

In what form does Red Bull want its pound of flesh?

Could this backfire on Red Bull?

Edited by Chris_911

I agree.

Seem to be taking the holier than thou approach.

Top their credit Mercedes seem to be just getting on with the job in hand, though they were clearly voicing their displeasure with Red Bull's actions in the statement they have released.

Between the lines it seems Red Bull has made accusations against the FIA which I'm guessing have gone down like a lead balloon...