Resetting fuel gauge

So, ran out of fuel last weekend even though my gauge was showing quarter full. Good job I was at home...

I have a new sender unit.  Is there any way of matching the gauge to sender unit so that it reads more accurately or do I just have to do the old motor thing and put up with knowing that quarter full on gauge = empty?

Cheers,

Al.

Through lack of use the gauge senders often stick in one position or a smaller range of the sweep than is fully available.  It can be fuel residue or glaze that causes them to stick and it is possible to clean the sender and get it back to full working order.  If you want to try this remove the sender from the tank and remove the outer protective aluminium shell or cover.  You will then see a central rod along which the float moves as the level changes.  Give the rod (excuse the lack of correct terminology) a clean with something like metal polish, Brasso or similar and then reassemble.  It should work fine.  

Thanks Ian but I have already replaced my sender unit. My issue is that it doesn't seem to provide the gauge with the correct current so I am wondering if I can do something with the gauge to match it to the sender?

Best,

Al.

Does the gauge misread if the fuel sender is out of the tank (and you can confirm full travel) ?

Ok, I'll have a look at that. Also have the sender from my '73 which is original VDO and seems to slide easily. Might fit that and note the difference. 

15 hours ago, Flat 6 said:

Thanks Ian but I have already replaced my sender unit. My issue is that it doesn't seem to provide the gauge with the correct current so I am wondering if I can do something with the gauge to match it to the sender?

Best,

Al.

Apologies, missed that.  In that case I would try what Peter suggests