Aesthetics - Advice please?

Siy

Need to make some fixes to my whale tail... corroded fixings have pushed the rubber out, and some of the slats on the black grill are broken. probably just need to source a replacement one and paint it, rather than repair. Would that be the general wisdom?

Regarding the rear bumper... Any advice on a cleaner look.... not overly keen on the two large 'overriders' either side of the reg plate.... What options would I have here to reduce/remove?

This is just the beginning of advice I am going to be requiring, before the work begins... get ready for more numpty questions coming up...!

Right Side.jpg

Rear.jpg

Aesthetics are subjective, everyone will have an opinion on what you do.  For me I would remove the rear spoiler and go without, the Targa looks better with a clean back end to my mind, others will say different.  Several of us, quite a lot in fact, have removed the rear bumper blocks.  So if you’re not into originality get rid of them.  Choose your new number plate lights carefully as not all of them integrate nicely.

B98E4D4B-7CB7-42D8-B212-3B7A9AFCB9D2.jpeg

You can remove the rubber bumperettes easy enough, though you'll need the bolt holes that are left welding up and painting, or just put a plastic bung in first to see if you are happy with the looks.  Alternative number plate lights will need to be installed, loads of options on these.  I used number plate screw LEDs.  

ox1111.jpg

Rear spoiler, I guess you have few options, keep as it, flat lid, ducktail or change to tea tray or whatever other spoilers Porsche did.  I think with a Targa the colour makes a big difference as to what works, but flat or duck would be my choice.  

All this is easily changed back or altered to whatever you takes you.  I think most here swap and change depending on mood, I have a flat and duck lid which I change occasionally.

Lose the shark fins :)

Thanks guys - yes it looks much cleaner without these blocks... will def remove if I can tidy up what's left behind there without too much trouble.

Will look at reg light replacement options next....

Shark fins... yes... not sure how I feel about them yet. Always assumed they are there as stone guards...? Not in love with the black ones - is it normal to have them (car is an '82) or have they been added by a previous owner?

3 minutes ago, Siy said:

is it normal to have them (car is an '82) or have they been added by a previous owner?

Only wide bodied cars ever had them (or needed them) as std, those are aftermarket stick-ons.

Mark

...so overall advice is to remove them?

I am neither here nor there. Dont think they look quite right. To date all my Porsche's have been modern (or ferrari's) so am keen to learn from the masses on these things. If I could use photoshop I would try to 'delete' them to see the difference.

No shark fins - I just Google Image Red 911sc Targa.  Oddly most images in the search had shark fins, guess it was a 'thing' for owners of Red 911sc Targas to do.  If you like em you keep em, probably removing them will show up UV fading differences in the paint anyway.

29-04-2021-JBB-11.jpg?w=1263&fit=fillmax

10 hours ago, Nige said:

You can remove the rubber bumperettes easy enough, though you'll need the bolt holes that are left welding up and painting, or just put a plastic bung in first to see if you are happy with the looks.  Alternative number plate lights will need to be installed, loads of options on these.  I used number plate screw LEDs.  

ox1111.jpg

Rear spoiler, I guess you have few options, keep as it, flat lid, ducktail or change to tea tray or whatever other spoilers Porsche did.  I think with a Targa the colour makes a big difference as to what works, but flat or duck would be my choice.  

All this is easily changed back or altered to whatever you takes you.  I think most here swap and change depending on mood, I have a flat and duck lid which I change occasionally.

Lose the shark fins :)

+1 flat or duck.  I have the duck on atm but the painted, matching flat lid wrapped up in the garage. Personally, I think the bumpers are integral to the IB look, so have kept them (albeit changed from the original large US ones my car came with for the Euro ones.) They do weigh a ton though.  I just used bungs for the holes. 

P7205001 - Copy.JPG

That looks fantastic! Although I love a ducktail, I am not sure it would look right on my red '82 car with the black Targa hoop, as opposed to your slightly  silver one... that works very well. Maybe its a colour thing.... 

Are they the RS door cards? Is that a popular mod, changing the door cards. give a much cleaner look!

What other desirable interior changes do you guys recommend?

Mine looks like this at the moment, so have plenty to do ahead of me. Am not happy with the seat bolsters... they seats were recovered previously but the foam looks lumpy! That's high on my list to sort.

....All interior thoughts/tips well received

Interior.jpg

Edited by Siy

No benefit other than declutter and marginal weight loss.  Just be aware alot of mods on here are for ultimate weight loss for track days.  Day to day driving and road trips you will notice little if any difference unless you go the whole hog.  You'll also need to relocate whatever switch gear you have on the console.  Unless you've size 18 feet I doubt there are benefits.

Edited by Nige

great knowledge - thanks... Yes, I have no interest specifically in weight loss (other than personally!!!). I just want a great looking place to sit and enjoy, so looking at all the options.

Its quite exciting - never done anything like this before... had a Cobra a few years ago, but that had already been sorted when I bought it.... this allows me to put my fingerprint on it - I just need to find out what all the options available to me are, and decide what is the best bang for buck.

12 hours ago, Siy said:

That looks fantastic! Although I love a ducktail, I am not sure it would look right on my red '82 car with the black Targa hoop, as opposed to your slightly  silver one... that works very well. Maybe its a colour thing.... 

Are they the RS door cards? Is that a popular mod, changing the door cards. give a much cleaner look!

Mine looks like this at the moment, so have plenty to do ahead of me. Am not happy with the seat bolsters... they seats were recovered previously but the foam looks lumpy! That's high on my list to sort.

Interior.jpg

Mine started as a red '82 SC as well.  The door cards are a sort of home-made amalgam made with 3mm foamex, scrim and vinyl - easy to cut, waterproof, self-extinguishing and waterproof. 

13 hours ago, Siy said:

Interior.jpg

Definitely look at those seats. The bolster should be quite firm to hold you in place. Here is my '87 Sport seat, this is the before picture as the leather is being restored (but keep the patina) and piping replaced. Even with 34years of bums the bolster aren't soft or lumpy.

In my resto, I'm going for a more luxury feel rather than stripped out, So I'm making full leather gaiters for the gearstick and handbrake. With a nice wooded gearshift nob from  https://builtbybasil.com/product-category/hardwood-gear-knobs/

20210224_172324.jpg

With mine I'm going semi stripped out, will be removing back seats and the rear parcel shelf and replacing with fitted carpet, semi RS lightweight or similar to Carrera CS but will keep vinyl rear quarter panels. I might make a rear lower shelf over the rear seat area like was an option for CS and in earlier longhood days, you end up with two storage bins under the shelf in the rear seat wells. Makes up for removing door bins if you fit RS style door cards. Also have removed centre console.
You got me thinking about the rear overriders now, think I may delete those too, I have to weld up the holes from when it had the US ones on but may now weld up the rest.

Edited by Bugs 77
Just added some more content.

Yes - those seats look significantly better than mine.. thats definitely on the list of to do's along with complete Targa top refurb/rebuild.

Not sure yet whether to do the door cards.. think the storage will be useful. Quite like the look of it minus centre console, so will consider that.

Those gear knobs are great - that may be on my list now!!!

I think I do want to delete the overriders... will live with it for a while and decide. 

Gotta say - this site is fantastic... friendly and helpful, genuinely impressed guys. and thanks for such a warm welcome!

I'm not a fan of the overriders but agree they are part of the car's visual character.

I have also revised my view of their usefulness having been rear-ended at (very) slow speed in slow traffic last year. Not a single thing is bent, which it would probably have been had the rubber not been there.