Harry's Garage - Filler Episode

World Citizen

My mechanic has a 105 series Giulia 1300 which he has campaigned in historic racing for 15 years. He took it apart and re-did the bodywork a couple of years ago. He bagged and binned 18 kilos of paint and filler dust!

24 minutes ago, runnersp said:

My mechanic has a 105 series Giulia 1300 which he has campaigned in historic racing for 15 years. He took it apart and re-did the bodywork a couple of years ago. He bagged and binned 18 kilos of paint and filler dust!

Presumably made it somewhat quicker. 😊

He did seem genuinely shocked and seemed to be thinking “what have I got into!” Can’t turn around now and bills will be mahoosive! Nice shiney engine and nothing to put it in 😞

4 hours ago, mean in green said:

Someone made the suggestion in comments not even to try fixing the bodywork, given that the plan is to go racing. Makes a lot of sense!

Clear coat over the bare metal and the patches and off you go!

Seriously though one of our neighbours is doing an ISO Grif exactly like this. Solid and eat your dinner off it underneath but simply clearcoated over the significant patina on the top for a zero ****s given daily driven classic.

that Fulvia is in truly horrific state! did they say 25 kilos of filler out of it?!  Wing panels are like a patchwork of panels welded together. Lucky for Harry he's minted, the rest of us mortals would have probably have to walk away and sell off the spare parts. good on him for perservering as the car is personal to him.

looks like the guys who work on my Integrale are doing the work, at Brands Hatch. Recognised the mechanic in blue overalls.

A friend of mine has been working on one of those Lancias for a client, also took out about 15-18 kilos of filler. He's done quite a bit - and the customer has paid - but he told the owner that if he keeps going the bills will be huge so he doesn't want to do any more work. The customer now refuses to pick it up and will put £15k down in advance if he does a bit more. How times have changed! :D

Remind me Not to venture down the Lancia route unless having a magnet to hand when checking bodywork!
Wow these stories are tear jerkingly painful on the pocket

i might have to start thinking twice about using the Integrale as my winter hack :wacko::D am hoping that all the mud that gets packed up under the arches offers some protection from the salt <_<

3 hours ago, runnersp said:

To be fair I think that’s probably a smart move with any classic!

All the smart people drive dull new Euro boxes 😪 glad so many of us aren't smart

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, World Citizen said:

All the smart people drive dull new Euro boxes 😪 glad so many of us aren't smart

I meant about approaching a classic Lancia with a magnet, that’s definitely the smart move! :)

• 8 months later...

Fantastic looking cars, but I think the Zagato must have let the work experience guy do the front. The twin headlights and grill on the normal Coupe, look so good, but these look like a Renault 12.