Headlight reflector bowl replacement

astrasxi

Hello IB-ers.

I have an '89 3.2 Carrera with the M605 headlight leveling system. Both headlight reflector bowls are severely corroded, with the off-side worst. They are beyond saving with re-chroming.

Question is, I know that places like Design911 etc now sell third-party LHD lights with RHD glass at less than half the cost of genuine RHD units - great, that would suit me fine. Problem is that these are for cars without the M605 leveling system.

Could I...

1. Simply fit a pair of 3rd-party non-leveling lights and leave the vac system disconnected. I don't think I've ever touched the leveling switch. I assume the non-leveling lights would physically fit no problem, but obviously the leveling system will no longer work. Someone has told me this would be an MOT fail if leveling is not functional. Does anyone have experience of this? 

2. Do as above and buy 3rd-party non-leveling lights, but swap the reflector bowls from them into my existing M605 lights. Is this possible? I have read that the reflector bowls are not interchangeable between leveling and non-leveling units???

3. Assuming no eBay joy for 2nd hand genuine M605 lights or just reflectors, take a £700 per side hit and buy genuine M605 lights, if still available.

Any thoughts or experience greatly appreciated. 

Thanks. 

You can use non levelling lamps without any problems.  Do yours actually work anyway?

I don't think much can be swapped over, I vaguely recall trying to swap early chrome bezels onto my later levelling headlamps and realised it wasn't easily possible so just replaced them with early style units.  They're not genuine but fit fine and still look like new over the past 4 years.

Thanks. Sounds like non-leveling replacements are the way forwards, then. Literally can’t recall the last time I ever used the leveling on mine, so no idea it even works. One of those pointless features, just like the semi-electric seat adjustment!

Perversely (IMHO) if the self levelling system is there (i.e. there's an adjuster next to the switch) it has to work else it's an MOT fail. But remove the switch and leave a hole in the dash and the car will pass, assuming the lights are aimed correctly.

On my over-the-next-winter to-do list is to design a blanking piece to replace the adjuster and its bezel and print it on the 3D printer I haven't bought yet.

• 5 months later...

Just following up on this old thread, one of my reflector is badly faded and I have the Self levelling system (not sure it works)

Rather than change it with an expensive direct replacement , can I use a standard headlight, one without the self levelling gear? 

1 hour ago, Beaky said:

Just following up on this old thread, one of my reflector is badly faded and I have the Self levelling system (not sure it works)

Rather than change it with an expensive direct replacement , can I use a standard headlight, one without the self levelling gear? 

You can buy replacement H4 lens, so I'm guessing you must be able to get to the reflector. If so give silver polish ago, or because (I Think) they are metal , you could get them re-silvered/chromed.

Looks like they do replacement reflectors for 87 and later, So I'm guessing there must be something for earlier models.

https://www.design911shop.com/Headlamp-reflector-Porsche-911-1987-90---964/prod142595/

Edited by TargaWayne

• 5 months later...

I may be in the market for a pair of front headlight reflectors - (84 3.2 rhd)

Anyone have a pair or point me in the right direction of stockists ?

thanks Flappa2

Hi Mike. If resilvering is an option try contacting silchrome.co.uk I haven’t used them but got in touch as I have a spare pair of headlamps, one of which is older than the other and could do with resilvering. They quoted £60-100 per reflector depending upon size and condition. One of these days…

11 hours ago, sopor said:

Hi Mike. If resilvering is an option try contacting silchrome.co.uk I haven’t used them but got in touch as I have a spare pair of headlamps, one of which is older than the other and could do with resilvering. They quoted £60-100 per reflector depending upon size and condition. One of these days…

Ok Thanks Felix.

I had mine done by central engineering design in Kent, £240 all in, they have done a good job, even removed the original stickers and kept them for me.

But they are not silver, they are done in chrome as they suggested for better durability.

On 29/06/2022 at 20:59, Justin689 said:

I had mine done by central engineering design in Kent, £240 all in, they have done a good job, even removed the original stickers and kept them for me.

But they are not silver, they are done in chrome as they suggested for better durability.

Thanks Justin. I will follow up, probably a job for the winter