76 Sportomatic does the engine normally need to fast idle for a while prior to setting off and getting good gear selection ?

Generally my Sporto works very well however, I find occasionally that the engine needs to idle for a minute or 2 or blipped a couple of times before I move off and get smooth gear selection. 

Is this just the vacuum reservoir building up vacuum ? or is there some adjustment ? or Diaphragm on way out ? or is just the way they are.......?

Cheers

Glad it was an easy fix!  I've never seen a Sporto in action and great that it's now working perfectly.  Is this a UK original car as if so I'm guessing there may not be too many around now given low numbers and some being converted to manual along the way?

On 11/08/2021 at 09:18, MarkT said:

Generally my Sporto works very well however, I find occasionally that the engine needs to idle for a minute or 2 or blipped a couple of times before I move off and get smooth gear selection. 

Is this just the vacuum reservoir building up vacuum ? or is there some adjustment ? or Diaphragm on way out ? or is just the way they are.......?

Cheers

There is a vacuum adjustment. Essential the sporto is a 915 manual transmission with a set of points and a vacuum operated clutch plus a torque converter. There are few people that care for this old tech now and many were converted to manual but it was a fantastic piece of engineering developed by Porsche. They were available in 3 and 4 speed . They rely on vacuum. Vacuum is only provided at idle and is retained by an NRV in a reservoir.

DBS

• 2 weeks later...