BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH

ROBINWILD

Just returned from a road trip down to the South West, 500 miles of driving pleasure, except.........

On a very slow section of the M5 coming home a car pulled up level with me and the driver told me my brake lights weren't working, which was very kind of him. Pulled off at the next exit and checked them. They didn't work with only slight pedal pressure applied, but when applied hard, they work. I suspect this is a faulty switch, but can anyone confirm. Can't find anything on here about switch replacement, is it an easy fix?

Interestingly, the brake lights don't work at all with only the ignition switched on, the engine has to be running. Is this normal?

Thanks

Robin

There are few fixes that have been done on here. The best one is probably what SilverWT did, recently discussed. I fitted a mechanical switch at the pedal as well as the MC switches which are bit slow at the best of times.

Phill....This is interesting, but it seems that it would probably be best to just replace the existing switch initially to see if that solves it. My car has done 178,000 miles so if the original brake light switch is still in place, then it could be forgiven for giving up the ghost. Looks like a replacement is only a tenner from Type911.

Robin

Yes you can easily replace the switches, 10 minute job. I had the same symptoms as you, changed the switches but it made no difference. This is why people modify them.

• 3 weeks later...

Just as an update on this.....

Replaced both switches, £30 in total from type911, and brake lights now work as they should. Maybe others on here could consider this as the first plan of action, given the relatively low cost and simplicity, rather than go for the additional switch modification 

4 hours ago, ROBINWILD said:

Maybe others on here could consider this as the first plan of action, given the relatively low cost and simplicity, rather than go for the additional switch modification 

The thinking with an additional switch is not just a reliability issue, it also enables you to then adjust the point at which the brake lights come on. With the standard switches light braking sometimes doesn’t illuminate the brake lights at all.

Not great when you also factor in brake lights that are small, low down and not as visible as a those on most modern vehicles, plus of course Darlene streaming Netflix in her Juke behind you.