Pushing the red line on a stock 3.2 and a bit on cams...

2 hours ago, 911hillclimber said:

Many people do not understand a UK hillclimb and the way the cars are hammered, usually on wide open throttle and to the red line repeatedly but bouncing off the rev limiter for quite short periods, around 5 seconds.

Perhaps not altogether unlike drag racing, something an American supplier like Dougherty’s might also be more familiar with?

3 hours ago, 911hillclimber said:

I've emailed Steve recently about the rods asking if the 3.2 stock rods/arp bolts could tolerate 7500 and his response was no comment, just fit Carrillos!

From that response I assume the answer is no....

Thus, I've settled on Pauter rods, have to make some decisions on this lot, and have had a doubt put in my mind about the Wossner pistons having pockets deep enough for the DC60 cams, so another email to try to resolve. I can buy the pistons from Design911 so saving Brexit etc shipping hassles (Wossner are German).

Biggest sticking point are the cams.

Seems Kent cams are not enthusiastic, Dougherty certainly are, just in the USA, but they have been clear what is right in some detail.

Hope to send orders very soon so kicking this little project off. Many people do not understand a UK hillclimb and the way the cars are hammered, usually on wide open throttle and to the red line repeatedly but bouncing off the rev limiter for quite short periods, around 5 seconds.

I think your summary of the position of the aircooled engine is spot-on.

Graham I did get a quote for a 911 camshaft from Newman cams back in 2019 and he seemed very aware of the designs for GE40 and DC40 that I asked for. I did not buy from him at the time, but I think the price was £510 + vat (probably each) and they were able to produce in about 2 weeks. Dougherty did take many weeks to supply although the quality does appear to be good.

Things have moved on £££ wise!

However...

Kent cams have come up trumps. They have a cam the same as the DC60, GE 60 which I think is the Garretson Enterprises cam.

A pair is £912 inc vat. They do a spring set too for about £510 so I will order those.

Have asked (emailed) Wossner UK to confirm their pistons have pockets to take the GE60 lift.

JE pistons are 2 x the cost of Wossner. The difference pays for the cams!

Pauter rods are on 8 weeks lead time, so ordering those tomorrow.

Starting to come together, wife very supportive!