Front wheel bearing thrust washer

Evening all

Am I correct to think that the diameter of the hole in the front wheel bearing thrust washer is larger than then axle spindle it sits around, so that the "moved back and forth" described in Bentley is lateral movement across the axle and not rotational movement?

Thanks in advance

Jack

A bit hazy here but if you're talking about the thrust washer movement using a screwdriver to check bearing tightness it's rotational movement (just not much)

Basically release the clamp nut using an Allen key and tighten it until the washer can just move - best description I have heard is like a feeler gauge tight - tight enough for no play but not so it's clamped tight. Tighten Allen key and replace wheel and check 'top and bottom'.

Edited by Roy M

Seems unlikely - does it have the location tab to fit in the stub axle slot? If so probably correct, if it's a plain washer then it would certainly be wrong. Although I can't be certain for all years

Just done a quick check - apparently there are two washers, one for 18mm (your size) and one for 16mm  (Early cars) so there isn't a correct washer which is too big for your axle if that makes sense!

Edited by Roy M

By a couple of mm, as in the photo?

20210905_175434.jpg

2 hours ago, Roy M said:

Just done a quick check - apparently there are two washers, one for 18mm (your size) and one for 16mm  (Early cars) so there isn't a correct washer which is too big for your axle if that makes sense!

Thank you for going to the trouble of looking it up, Roy.

I’ve just been doing this. Yes you should be able to move the washer backwards and forwards using a screwdriver, without levering against the hub.  However… my research on this suggests common thinking is get it so there is no play in the hub without the wheel and a little bit of play with the wheel and tyre on.  Apparently you do actually want a tiny bit of play in the wheel (which does seem odd to me). 

I should add, for me this was tighter than factory and required a slight levering against the hub to move the washer. 

On 05/09/2021 at 22:01, Dyaque said:

By a couple of mm, as in the photo?

20210905_175434.jpg

Thank you for going to the trouble of looking it up, Roy.

That looks fine depending on  where you have moved it to test it will protrude as per the photo. As the next message suggests it should be tighter than the recommendation so that there is a small amount of play when the wheel is back I  place 

Much of this is to do with heat expansion don't forget. The hub and wheel get hot and everything gets tighter. If you do it up too tight when cold you could cause damage when hot.