Targa Top Refurb

mascot100

Anybody got any recommendations for trimmer near Tonbridge Kent for a Targa top refurbishment. I'm aware Southbound are the best but a bit spendy and a waiting list as long as a  line of showgirls legs (that got your attention)! 

I did discuss this job with a local trimmer pre Covid,  suggesting using one of Matt's(Type911) kits - the trimmer kind of dismissed that idea - any views?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I'm not as geographically challenged as you might think. 😀

It depends on what you're looking for. If a superficial recover is your goal then a trim shop might be OK. But if you want a top that fits properly, doesn't have puckering in the beading, has the beading out of the airflow so it's quiet at speed and doesn't bow out at speed because the internal fabric has been properly tensioned you need to bring the top to someone who really understands how they were made in the first place and uses the correct materials. Southbound got mine close but not quite there - disappointing for having spent £1K.

There is a Porsche trimmer near Gatwick but I would want to see the quality of his targa top work before committing to him. Given that he took a year and 2 attempts to get a barely acceptable retrim on a pair of sport seats for me you might understand my skepticism.

Edited by sopor

As I said, there's a Porsche trimmer near Gatwick but I would want to see the quality of his targa top work before committing to him. Given that he took a year and 2 attempts to get an acceptable retrim on a pair of sport seats for me you might understand my skepticism. 😉

5 hours ago, mascot100 said:

They are in the States aren't they - hardly local to Kent UK - but thanks anyway.

They are in New Jersey.  I'm hoping they will be finishing my top and shipping it back to me in the next week or two. So, should be able to give everyone some first hand knowledge about the quality of the work once I get it back.  Shipping itself wasn't a big deal.  I discovered that two flat TV removal boxes (1 x 24 inch and 1 x 32 inch) from cardboardboxes.co.uk (£24 inc shipping) inside one another were perfectly made for shipping a targa roof and then just used UPS.  

8 hours ago, jehatwhitland said:

They are in New Jersey.  I'm hoping they will be finishing my top and shipping it back to me in the next week or two. So, should be able to give everyone some first hand knowledge about the quality of the work once I get it back.  Shipping itself wasn't a big deal.  I discovered that two flat TV removal boxes (1 x 24 inch and 1 x 32 inch) from cardboardboxes.co.uk (£24 inc shipping) inside one another were perfectly made for shipping a targa roof and then just used UPS.  

Got an email from Dan this morning to say the roof will be shipped this Wednesday.  There will doubtless be adjustment required to the windows, but will post some pics of the top, etc, once it gets back home. 

8 hours ago, jehatwhitland said:

I went to see Dan when I lived in New Jersey, he’s a thoroughly nice chap and his knowledge of Targa’s was incredible. 
I’d be amazed if the roof doesn’t turn out excellent. I wouldn’t send my roof anywhere else. He’s not widely known as “Targa Dan” for nothing😁
I’ve had the front targa seal from him and I’ll be fitting it once the car is back from the paint shop. And I’ve bought the headlining from him for my targa top too. (My roof is pretty decent so I’m just making it look cosmetically better until it does require restoration)

looking forward to seeing the photos etc of your roof when it’s back.

regards

Russ

Doesn't the targa frame need to be fitted to the actual car to ensure a good fit? I read articles and watched several vids on retrimming before I gave it to Southbound and everyone showed the aluminium plates being fitted to the cars opening before being trimmed. Plus there is the fitting of the rubber seals to ensure a good fit around the top of the quarter light which is the most vulnerable area for leaks.

Richard 

Not sure why you’d have to physically have the car there. The distance between the windscreen frame and the targa hoop must be a fixed size on all cars. The side seals etc can all be altered when plopped on the car along with the quarter lights etc.

Dan never mentioned he had to have the car there when reconditioning the roof.

He was more than happy to receive the roof by post.

I think the car is handy to have there as you can lay the aluminium plates in place to trim them but you could do it equally well on a jig.

🤔🤔

If the car has had poor quality structural repairs due to rust the gap between the header rail and the targa bar may not be as it left the factory; in this case having the car present can allow modifications to the top to adapt it to a bigger or smaller gap. I'll venture a guess that this is more prevalent in UK cars than the US cars.

4 hours ago, Rustybum said:

Not sure why you’d have to physically have the car there. The distance between the windscreen frame and the targa hoop must be a fixed size on all cars. The side seals etc can all be altered when plopped on the car along with the quarter lights etc.

I think the car is handy to have there as you can lay the aluminium plates in place to trim them but you could do it equally well on a jig.

🤔🤔

Ditto, I can't imagine that the roofs were originally manufactured as a tailored fit to each car - at least not by the time we got to SC and Carreras when the production volumes went up.  I guess I'll find out - but I am expecting to have to adjust the windows and I think the quarter light frame on the left of my car is perhaps a little low anyway after it was rebuilt - just never take it out in the wet, so haven't bothered too much previously! 😉

I doubt any 2 cars are the same dimensions now. Maybe only a few mm out but after 40 years targas have the tendency to open up, espiecally when jacked up badly. 

9 hours ago, jehatwhitland said:

Ditto, I can't imagine that the roofs were originally manufactured as a tailored fit to each car - at least not by the time we got to SC and Carreras when the production volumes went up.  I guess I'll find out - but I am expecting to have to adjust the windows and I think the quarter light frame on the left of my car is perhaps a little low anyway after it was rebuilt - just never take it out in the wet, so haven't bothered too much previously! 😉

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out! 😊

Keep us posted please.

regards

Russ

2 hours ago, Type911 said:

I doubt any 2 cars are the same dimensions now. Maybe only a few mm out but after 40 years targas have the tendency to open up, espiecally when jacked up badly. 

Agree. When I put my Targa on my home lift with the correct jacking points picked up the door gap is moved by at least 15mm and the door glass doesn't even touch the B post rubber seal.

Richard

Yes, really. Maybe nearer 10mm, but if you pick up on the jacking points there is still a lot of the engine weight hanging out the back.

Did ask Canford when I first put it on the lift and they said 'to be expected'

Richard

5 hours ago, RichD1 said:

Yes, really. Maybe nearer 10mm, but if you pick up on the jacking points there is still a lot of the engine weight hanging out the back.

Did ask Canford when I first put it on the lift and they said 'to be expected'

Richard

But doesn't it just then settle back once the weight is back on the wheels?  Feels like there should be some elasticity up to a point.  Mind you, if you see the way a targa or convertible folds in the middle if crashed, perhaps not the strongest structure in the world! 

On 20/09/2021 at 18:44, Rustybum said:

🤔🤔

Hope it works out and interested in seeing some pics.  I’m not too far from you as in south Sheffield.  Mine was done just before I got the car but needs some tidying up.  Main issue with sending to US is a new very valuable item getting lost in the post!  Did you insure when sending both ways?

The windows adjust in several ways: up and down (i.e. the stop point) and the top of the window in and out (angle I suppose you would say). I think the stop point can also be adjust differently front to back from memory.

I had my roof refurbed by Southbound and they wanted the car. As well as rebuilding the roof, they adjusted the windows to fit and tested it was water tight. It was a superb fit. But be under no illusions that even a quality retrim and refit will not completely eradicate wind noise. They are still noisy.

Garry at Classic FX also refurbs them and will also want to car as well for the same reasons as above.