Suspect fuelling on one bank post-rebuild: 911 SC

Ian Comerford

My engine is now around 4000 miles on from its rebuild and over the last month or so I thought I noticed a slight difference in colour of the exhaust outlets.  After doing ca 1450 miles over the weekend  on a run to a French classic event, mostly at decent speed I noticed the difference is more distinct as per the picture.  Behind the pipes is a single chamber, so gasses from both banks go into it and then exit via the pipes, but I think it sensible to assume that one bank, the left, is running better than the other.  I would welcome thoughts on what might cause this, could it just be a single plug or injector underperforming, or something more complex?

19513953-29F3-41D2-B499-F0BE1E83FB29.jpeg

Could you have a partial blockage in the right hand pipe which is reducing gas velocity and causing soot to form? If it's this there would probably be a temperature difference between the pipes which would be most noticeable at cold start as the temperatures would even out due to conduction later.

You on SSIs Ian?  If so I reckon that right hand bank could causing some of the soot.  Even though it merges together in the muffler gases from either side will exist the nearest point/tail pipe.

If not SSIs then it's a funny one.

Have you compared the plugs from either side?

Edited by Nige

Thanks all for your responses, it’s appreciated.  The engine has SSIs and the centre of the silencer has a single chamber taking gasses from both sides before they exit via the two pipes.  This could mean you can’t really tell what is happening and can’t say that the black pipe relates to the right side of the engine.  I’m going to take the plugs out as a starter and see what they tell me.  I will report back and look forward to more useful input.

Ian

I still reckon there is soot from one side.  The gases aren't going to mix that thoroughly and evenly before they exit, most likely bounce off each other and exit through the nearest hole.  Explain how else is it going to happen?

Have you compared the plugs yet?

Edited by Nige

Not yet Nige, some time on Sunday probably.  I agree with you but don’t understand how it can happen.  I probably wouldn’t have noticed this if the exhaust had a single outlet as the two colours would have merged and may not have looked strange

Plugs out today and they look pretty similar apart from the middle one on the right hand bank which is slightly sooty.  I’m going to clean then and put that one on the opposing side and see what they look like after a few hundred miles.  Nothing to worry about here though

CF1FC6B3-FBE6-41AA-9453-9D23D0004C97.jpeg

34C0B32B-AF16-4B80-92BD-28EB201BDF6C.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • johndglynn changed the title to Suspect fuelling on one bank post-rebuild: 911 SC