Building the 8000 rpm 3.2 for my race car:

t was a pleasure meeting Chris and Rob today and really appreciate the 5 hours we spent going through everything and more.
Big effort, learnt a lot and have good details to send to Clewett and Electromotive for when the XDi box goes back to America.

We did not get it going.
Positives:
The sensor is good, especially when we reduced the air gap to 10/8 thou, the sinusoidal wave was crisp and 4 volts.
The air gap made a significant difference.

The status of the light is unchanged though twice and briefly it did in fact alternate for maybe 2 or 3 seconds, but then reverted back to 'solid green'.
Rob and Chris could not see anything I'd done was the problem.

Photographs were taken of the traces to send to Electromotive

We have got to the conclusion the XDi is suspect.

Negatives?
Have to pay to ship to USA and back
Loose 4 weeks
Cancel events and rolling road.

• 3 weeks later...
IT RUNS!

Checked all the wires, all the volts, all the pin-outs and most importantly swore at it.
Turned it all on. Pumped the carbs as usual and splutter and in an instant flashed into life.
Sound amazing.

Ran it for about 5 mins @ 2500 ish and blipped occasionally, oil pressure normal etc, no nasty mechanical noises etc.

XDi has a solid green on switch-on, red/green on cranking, solid green on switch off. Left it for a few mins while Mrs Hillclimber stood and was mighty relieved, and it restarted like before (always was a a good hot starter).

Switched off and linked the time light to #1 cylinder and re-started, 2650 rpm tick over, advance needs a tweak, but will leave it to Ben at BHP to dial it in.

So, I have a running 1,000,000 bhp @8000 red line Lola hillclimb car.

Might get to within 6 seconds of that Mini now.http://uphillracers.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Will take a video when at BHP and post it. Day booked for 20 April, 2 days before Prescott.

Please may I say a very big thank you to everyone on here for the help, guidance and encouragement through possibly the hardest, most frustrating thing I've ever done.

Graham.
  • Like 3

GREAT NEWS!! While I was enjoying the story and seeing my own rants in yours, I'm very glad it is finally behaving itself and in time for the season. Great job! 

I ran the engine 6 times today to check the plug leads and if all plugs were firing on cylinders 1,2 and 3.

all ok.

It starts really well cold or hot and the throttle response is instant.

This is allwith very approximate ignition settings which need to be optimised.

This will be on the rolling road Ina few weeks time unless I can get in quicker.

Will take a video when it's there.

• 4 weeks later...

BIG DAY today for me and the Lola, morning at the rolling road, BHP Performance, very local to me which is nice for a change.

Strapped the car down on the rollers and warmed it up. First time Ben had seen the Clewett ignition system, but no probs, he just thought it strange...

Broke the engine in for 20 mins up and down the rpm in 2nd and 4th to load it all up and then set too setting the advance positions, tick over, 3000 and 8000 rpm, the latter somewhat academic!

Mid way through the engine died suddenly. Loss of power to the ECU, blown 7A fuse, so 10A fitted (max current draw is 10A)
Got going again and did a few runs and a few discussions and ran the engine to peak power.

At this point we hit 295.6 bhp @ 6776 rpm, 243.2 Lbft @5066 rpm.

(transmission losses are 35 bhp)

Engine sounded great, good oil pressure and 100 deg C.

Talked about where more could be gained, filters (oiled KN fitted) and maybe carb chokes (38mm in 50mm carbs)

We decided to leave it there, the curves are great, very smooth and it sounds like it could go much further.
I expected/hoped for a good 300/320, 100 bhp /litre would have been great.

Engine still tight, and we didn't want to push the timing further but did try on deg less and lost 5 bhp, so we could be very close.

Needed to add fuel at 6K so re-jetted the PMO's and that helped.

Very happy with this, smooth engine, lots of torque and no peaks or flats.

Quick little video here, try opening the sound up.
Sounded ballistic in the chamber!

https://youtu.be/Btr1ATBrrLc

• Like 1