Brake spanner recommendations

Fuchs915

Anyone have a recommendation for a decent brake spanner?  I am changing my flexible brake lines and the Halfords one I have is really poor.  I usually find their tools to be pretty good but the flare spanner does not work at all well.

Thanks

Kevin

I'm confused a bit (not unusual). I have one of these brake spanners but I never use it. I only ever feel the need to use regular spanners for any brake work and they do the job fine. Am I missing something?

3 minutes ago, Phill said:

I'm confused a bit (not unusual). I have one of these brake spanners but I never use it. I only ever feel the need to use regular spanners for any brake work and they do the job fine. Am I missing something?

A good quality 6 point flare spanner gives a better chance of removing stubborn nuts. They are usually deeper than regular spanners and allow the force to be shared over all six sides of the nut. If you go in with a regular open spanner and the soft fitting chews up then its game over or vice grips.

The cheaper ones seem to be bulkier and harder to seat properly on the bleed nipples, making it more likely that you round them off, especially when access is limited as it is with some of them.  Guess they are made from cheaper material so more is used.

8 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

Any particular model/make you can recommend?

Most of my good tools are Facom, Hazet or Stahlwille. Coming from budget tools, I initially found the prices of those brands ridiculous but now that most of my cheap tools have been replaced, I'm very glad that I did the investment.

Bleed nipples are not the problem, as Phil says, use a deep 1/4" socket to break the seal then normal spanner is fine. A brake spanner is for undoing brake lines, so is almost a 6 sided ring spanner but with a cut to slip over the metal brake hose. Personally I've found that if they are really stuck then nothing will shift them and the way forward is to cut the line and use another socket to undo. Easy job to re-make short brake lines or on a 911 up front, replace with braided flexi hose for easy calliper removal next time.

32 minutes ago, WP0ZZZ said:

Most of my good tools are Facom, Hazet or Stahlwille. Coming from budget tools, I initially found the prices of those brands ridiculous but now that most of my cheap tools have been replaced, I'm very glad that I did the investment.

Thank you

• 1 year later...

If you have trouble undoing the brake unions, try applying some local heat with a gas torch and liberal applications of easing fluid (WD40 or similar). Be patient and don’t rush it or you can run into a whole host of additional work!

After having a bit of trouble removing a brake union into my master cylinder last year (it was starting to round off the union which could have meant a whole new pipe etc) I borrowed a Snap On flank drive spanner which removed it easily.  The flank drives spanners only act in the centre of the flat and so there is no chance of rounding the corners.  I’ve since bought the same spanner just in case.

• Like 1