1991 Audi 80 16V

I've lost a parking space in my not even build man cave as we have an addition to the family fleet

I know there is some VAG 🥰 on here so I thought I'd post it up

WC Jr's 1st car, bought last Sun sight unseen, passed his driving test Tues., collected today but sadly can't afford to drive it for a year (needs to build up his no claims bonus)

A relatively rare car today, not as desirable or as nimble as a Mk2 Golf 16V but comparing prices it's was a bargain IMHO 

898702345_audi1.thumb.jpg.86826490f64156a33600881a0f02d24f.jpg

The car is well optioned up with a keep fit sunroof, rear electric windows, sporty steering wheel, and air-con which is surprisingly chilly 

1841700508_audi2.thumb.jpg.64eda059a9c0d29738ac46b2af0bd2c1.jpg

The seller https://pocketrocketsales.co.uk/ was a joy to buy from, home trader buying/selling cars he likes, no pressure, very genuine and everything was better or as described

Unlike my car buys this car is immaculate, £4.5k windows out paint job, re-trimmed/re-foamed seats and door panels, uprated Blaupunkt sounds with 3D printed OEM look speaker surrounds, lovingly cared for by a car collector for the last 10yrs, only 78k miles and lots of history

1623744827_audi3.thumb.jpg.46f5dc981bc7cbdeacda82377c4d8e0b.jpg

A few small jobs needed but it drives spot on, pulls well from 3.3k RPM, cruises comfortably at motorway speeds, has a slightly audible induction roar, brakes need a firm foot but work well by 90's standards, nice light gear change, feels quite solid and planted for an 31 year old car

As a 1st car I'm jealous as hell and looking forward to driving it again, when I'm allowed

• Like 1

Thanks gents, I'll pass on your comments,

Car is in fantastic condition, pic's don't show how good the paint is

Interior is great, only has the essentials needed for driving without distractions, forgot how low you sit and how comfy the seats are

No mods planned as he's going to be stung big time on the insurance and he likes the stock look

47 minutes ago, Beaky said:

A beach of a car particular as its his first.

Only issue is, you are  he is setting the bar quite high for the next one !

Beaky, fixed it for you

My car history has been the example to him of 'learn from my mistakes' 😁

• Haha 1

Yes, 1st car, he's been saving and lusting after an Audi 80 for years

Paid with his own cash and a bit on 0% Mum/Dad PCP 

1st car meet tonight, Strassenkultern at Caffeine and Machine tonight

Pole position parking 😎 I drove it here and then handed him the keys

20220216_173111.thumb.jpg.df817db5396e6d8174a09e46ede1e537.jpg

😎

Edited by World Citizen

Looking great there!   

My son is just thinking about his first car (16 at the moment, so planning ahead).  Can you get any kind of "classic" insurance for something like your sons Audi?   

2 hours ago, Dick said:

Looking great there!   

My son is just thinking about his first car (16 at the moment, so planning ahead).  Can you get any kind of "classic" insurance for something like your sons Audi?   

Good lad, he should start saving up too!

Insurance for a newly qualified driver is horrendously expensive but his Audi was a reasonable £1130 fully comp, 10k miles, parents as names drivers, no black box. 

After driving for a year with no claims it drops significantly so he's whizzing around in my wife's Fiat 500 Twin Air 

This is £900, he's the policy holder with both of us as named drivers. We contribute to the cost so he only pays the difference between what we would pay on our own and what he has to pay.

On 25/02/2022 at 18:32, World Citizen said:

Good lad, he should start saving up too!

Insurance for a newly qualified driver is horrendously expensive but his Audi was a reasonable £1130 fully comp, 10k miles, parents as names drivers, no black box. 

After driving for a year with no claims it drops significantly so he's whizzing around in my wife's Fiat 500 Twin Air 

This is £900, he's the policy holder with both of us as named drivers. We contribute to the cost so he only pays the difference between what we would pay on our own and what he has to pay.

Thanks very much for the detailed reply.  That's probably not "terrible" seeing as I was paying £500 a year 3rd party on a 1.1 Golf 30 years ago.  We also have a 500 for the kids to learn on, great little cars.

8 hours ago, Dick said:

Thanks very much for the detailed reply.  That's probably not "terrible" seeing as I was paying £500 a year 3rd party on a 1.1 Golf 30 years ago.  We also have a 500 for the kids to learn on, great little cars.

Our little white 500 is great fun, sounds like a wet fart, looks like a Kinder Egg but it goes surprisingly well

12 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Our little white 500 is great fun, sounds like a wet fart, looks like a Kinder Egg but it goes surprisingly well

😄 All very familiar here too!  Even my learner daughter complains it is slow compared to the Corsa she is having driving lessons in, but you can chuck them around!   They have a little personality.

We've had our 1.2 500 for over 10 years now. Both kids learnt in it and it's just had it's first new clutch at 78k miles. 

I personally think they are awful cars and would never buy another as the build quality is bad and the ride terrible. :lol: