HELP! car won’t start

Well, we are off to France in the morning for Easter and so I went to fill the car this morning and guess what, it won’t start.  Truman over strangely, but doesn’t fire.  So assume batter, starter and fuel pump are working as I can also smell fuel.

Swapped the fuel pump relay out for the window relay in case this was an issue.  Car fired but won’t run, very strange that it fires with this relay but won’t with the fuel pump relay.  Put a spare old fuel pump relay in, turns but doesn’t fire.  Fitted a new Chinese fuel pump relay and the same, turns but no fire.  I assume electrics and am about to check spark at the plug, but can anyone suggest anything based on what I have said?

Thank you

If it farts, coughs initially but then just spins over, check for an airbag leak.  Do you have a pop-off valve ?.  Mine had the symptoms as I described, and the fault was the o-ring on the pop-off valve had partly left its slot.

Thanks Peter, I checked this out already as I have experienced a loose pop off valance a few years ago.  Still find it strange that if fires with the other relay but not with the fuel pump one.  It feels like it must be electrical but I’m slightly at a loss as to what it can be.  I’ll try a bump start and see what that does.  

What power are you seeing at the relay ?.

Terminal 87a should be 12v (red wire from fuse 16) only live when turning the starter

Terminal 87 (wired directly from the ignition switch) should be 12V when the switch is in the run position.  This comes via a yellow wire, with (IIRC) a joint near to the ign switch.

Bypass the fuel pump relay by connecting pin 30 on the relay socket to a live feed (I use the top of fuse 2)

Thanks again Peter.  Whilst you were writing that message I took a plug out to check spark and it was soaking in fuel.  Tested for spark and it seems healthy but it was obviously flooded for some reason.  Tried a bump start and it was slightly reluctant but did go in the end, warmed up properly and then idled happily.  Turned it off after ten mins and tried a re-start, all good and normal. I have no idea of what was wrong and do recognise that it may come back some time, probably over the next two weeks whilst we are in France……

Thank you for your help again

Ooh that’s an interesting thought Ivan, I like that.  So it’s stuck open and provides too much fuel, turning it into a flooded  situation?  Why didn’t it just start though, how long does it take the CSV to flood, any idea?

If the car doesn’t initially start (CSV not opening), ‘normal’ fuel could run into the cylinders & flood the engine.  When my pop-off valve o-ring was ‘out’, the engine flooded despite too much air / too lean to start

Your car started fine once warm but does it start when cold ?

Edited by PeterK

Thank you Ivan, Peter.  The problem occurred initially when the engine was cold.  It turned over but wouldn’t fire.  When I eventually took a plug out to check spark it was soaking.  Can I just unplug the CSV lead and leave it?  Some people seem to think the CSV isn’t really needed in most of the temperatures we get here and the car is in a garage.  

yes you have to have it ..but check your thermoT..switch..also possibility could be pin a little stuck inside your fuel distributor...possibly dirt.How old is your fuel filter?

Now it does not happen any longer ,right?

ok when you get home to check the switch- i realized you are on the road now;-)

Thank you, now safely arrived at our first stop in France.  The car has started ok and run all day, 510 miles. It does splutter a bit on half throttle and pops back when you lift off the accelerator.  This feels like too much fuel but as I haven't adjusted the mixture could it mean the CSV is leaking extra fuel in and causing a problem?

I’m sure that you know all this but …. mixture adjustment via the 3mm Allen key only affects tick over.  The WUR control pressure deals with the rest of the time - hot CP for running at operating temperatures and cold CP for the warm up phase.  The vacuum feed to the WUR leans mixture during cruising

I did have a small backfire when trying to start it the other day and was happy I have a pop off valve.  I have a 3mm key with me so could lean it slightly to compensate.  I assume this will work ok as an interim fix until I get back and can get someone to adjust the plate?  Thank you again

On 05/04/2022 at 09:16, Bugs 77 said:

Let us know that you get back safely :)

Well it might be worth letting you know how it’s going so far.  Just arrived in Carcassonne in south west France after four days and over 1100 miles.

Day One Sunday

Early start to get to the Tunnel early due to delays predicted by Eurotunnel and the P&O debacle.  The car started first time and ran well down to Folkestone (180 miles) and hardly any delay at the Tunnel.  Then it was another 290 miles to the Hotel de France just south of Le Mans in a small town called La Chartre sur le Loir for the first night in France.  The hotel has quite a lot of Le Mans history as Aston Martin and Jaguar race teams used to stay there in the sixties and seventies mainly because it was a good distance from Le Mans and it kept the drivers away from parties in all of the fleshpots.  Anyway, it’s a good place to stay, is English owned (https://www.classicgt.co.uk/about-us/our-team/martin-overington/) and the restaurant is great.  The manager was kind enough to offer the hotels private/staff parking area to secure the car as well. Some of you will remember an earlier Le Mans trip where we popped down to the hotel for a Sunday coffee and we’re greeted by Derek Bell who was staying there.  The car isn’t quite right though as it pops back when you lift off and also is slightly splutters at half throttle.  Having said that, around 4K revs which seems to be a real sweet spot it’s very smooth and happy.  A long day but all ok so far

Sounds like a fuel/air metering kind of problem, stuck running on the rich side of things, happy at 4000 rpm but spluttery down low and popping on back off. There's something out of wack or flapping in the breeze that shouldn't be. So many vacuum hoses on CIS that control bits and pieces, when I first picked up my current car it had running/idle issues so surfed around the engine bay and found a hose for cruise control (ex US car) not connected (cruise control was knackered anyway), plugged that then reset idle and it made a massive difference, got carbies now.
Anyway trip sounds great, steady as she goes, safe home. 

Thank you.  Checked vacuum hoses and they all appear in tact.  

Day Two Monday

From the Hotel de France we headed south on Monday morning for Verteillac which is about 30kms south of Angouleme and a place some will recognise from our Circuit des Remparts trip.  Lovely free flowing road, car started fine again and ran ok but still splutters at half throttle with backfires on overrun.  No change there.  

Day Three Tuesday

A rest day in Verteillac which is a favourite place from many happy family hols in the area

4998E6F0-9A5E-4C19-90B2-1EDF2A768607.jpeg

Day Four Wednesday

Car started fine which was a surprise as it had been damp and cold one night.  Heading south again through the Bordeaux wine region to Pau.  We decided to travel half cross country and half on peage.  The cross country bit was fantastic, fast flowing sweeping beds and a good average speed.  Still popping back and spluttering but at least these are consistent behaviours which gives some comfort.  Nice journey and arrived in Pau to a lovely welcome from our B&B host.  We had time to explore Pau and conclude it’s worth a visit for the Pau Historique.  It’s 900 miles from home but we could use the ferry to Bilbao which is less that three hours drive from Pau.  A future plan for next year maybe.  We would stay here again

3B7B375D-2A29-44F3-99D3-2540486447B8.jpeg

Day Five Thursday

We were heading to Carcassonne today for two nights as it’s worth spending some time exploring the old city.  But first was a detour into the Pyrenees to a place called Les Eaux Bonnes.  I have wanted to go here for a while to take one picture because a few years ago I bought a lovely classic motorsport photo which was of some competitors in the Tour de France car race in their Ferrari 250 SWBs.  It’s a lovely characterful picture and I wanted to replicate it.  It will need some photoshop work but we will get there.  

2F7F59DD-E053-4CE5-8941-8F60374E707F.jpeg

8C1FD159-B90C-4137-8160-988181BA7F31.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Day Five Thursday (continued, or nearly not)

Of course the day started with the car deciding not to start again as it had done a week or so ago.  Turned over fine, no start. Smells of petrol. The host’s son, a car nut, was very happy to help push start and it went in 20metres or less and all was fine.  Ran well up into the mountains and back down  and then on toward Carcassonne.  At least it bump starts.  On the way we stopped for a break and it was like fate intervened as we bumped into a guy who had just an hour ago bought an R129 SL of the type we have discussed and I will soon buy.  His is a 280 and in lovely condition, we exchanged compliments, he offered to buy my car and then went on our ways.  The good thing is that SWMBO was party to the whole discussion so now can’t avoid being involved…..

73216190-58BD-4F6C-ACFA-C1FC6EFD72F1.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Ian Comerford said:

Day Five Thursday

We were heading to Carcassonne today for two nights as it’s worth spending some time exploring the old city.  But first was a detour into the Pyrenees to a place called Les Eaux Bonnes.  I have wanted to go here for a while to take one picture because a few years ago I bought a lovely classic motorsport photo which was of some competitors in the Tour de France car race in their Ferrari 250 SWBs.  It’s a lovely characterful picture and I wanted to replicate it.  It will need some photoshop work but we will get there.  

2F7F59DD-E053-4CE5-8941-8F60374E707F.jpeg

8C1FD159-B90C-4137-8160-988181BA7F31.jpeg

That's great, I love this kind of thing and what excellent imagery. We did this at Grenoble several years back, tracing a historic image and comparing with present day.

Enjoy your trip.