Michelin Pilot Sport 5 review

Beaky

8 hours ago, Beaky said:

Reviews are always subjective, but worth a view

I think the main problem with this test is that it was conducted on a fast Golf and not an old 911.  The characteristics of the cars are so different as to make the results less relevant.  Other views are available of course but certain tyre types work really well on some cars and less well on others.

On 08/04/2022 at 16:41, Ian Comerford said:

I think the main problem with this test is that it was conducted on a fast Golf and not an old 911.  The characteristics of the cars are so different as to make the results less relevant.  Other views are available of course but certain tyre types work really well on some cars and less well on others.

Very true, that said modern compounds are far more compliant to the ones that originally came with our cars. Chris at CG highly rates the PS4 on our cars so was interested to see what the feedback on the PS5's.

Are we talking PS4 or PS4S?

contisports not being available any more I was wondering where to go next. 

Had the Goodyears which come out really well in that review on my CaymanR and liked them. I also need to find a good tyre for the BMW 335 that is my daily so it was a good video to watch. 

27 minutes ago, Ian Comerford said:

I have PS4S on my M3 and they are great but it’s obviously a very different car dynamically to the 911.  What tyres did you have before the PS4s Chris and what are the main differences?

Goodyear Eagle F1s on the front, Bridgestone S-02s on the back.

Got rid of all four not because of wear but age.

Ride quality seems a little better but it's mainly just how 'planted' the car feels.

Just now, Chris_911 said:

Goodyear Eagle F1s on the front, Bridgestone S-02s on the back.

Got rid of all four not because of wear but age.

Ride quality seems a little better but it's mainly just how 'planted' the car feels.

Thank you, so grip is good then?  I need to replace my SO2s in six months or so and want to get something with at least as good grip.

• 3 weeks later...

I replaced SO2's with the PS4 (16") all round.  The ride is better, particularly over little bumps, ridges etc.. That said, the Bridgestones were 10 years old, so not a very representative verdict...

I'm very happy with them, my old car is more of a tourer than a racer, but they've been very nice and predictable on mountain roads and there were no surprises when I drove from London to Vienna mostly in the rain last autumn

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have a question related to PS4's and other 17" tyres in general.

Obviously these tyres are not IB specific, as a result I'm trying to work out what tyre pressures to use now that I have some PS4's on order.

I've got 205/50 17's on the front and 255/40 17's on the rear. With the PS4's it's said that to ensure maximum longevity pressures are very important so what do you chaps suggest?

Got I have a question related to PS4's and other 17" tyres in general.

Obviously these tyres are not IB specific, as a result I'm trying to work out what tyre pressures to use now that I have some PS4's on order.

I've got 205/50 17's on the front and 255/40 17's on the rear. With the PS4's it's said that to ensure maximum longevity pressures are very important so what do you chaps suggest?

Got them fitted today, made a big difference to the handling. Grip is prodigious and they are low noise and comfortable.

The fitters asked me if I had considered PS5's but then we discussed the difficulty of supply for those.

For now I'm very happy, I paid 577 including fitting for the set through Asda tyres and got them fitted at my local place where I always go. 

Set the pressures at 34 rear and 30 front. Would welcome some feedback regarding that.