Not-IB - Single skin wall /garage makeover advice

Morning all.  I have some budget (Ta, Mrs J) to get the garage tidied after a few years of making do.  I have an integral garage with the house, with a single skin brick wall on one side (longer side). The garage door and the other 2 sides are (mostly) within the property.  Hope that helps set the scene.  My question is what ought to be done, if anything, with the single skin wall?  As the wall is exposed, what is good practice?  Space is at a premium, so I want to limit loss of room as much as possible.  The garage doesn't get that cold, assume helped by it been 3/4 in the building any way, so am OK to have it 'cooler' if it saves space.  Brick work is solid, no damage, etc.

The garage walls will be clad with something to make at all clean and tidy.  I did wonder if simple using a pvc style cladding would be enough, some kind of vapour barrier (? right term?), however thought the clever peeps on here my be able to provide some guidance.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

I have a similar setup … a few things I would recommend :

1. Paint the walls white (with masonry paint) -  it will reflect the light and make the garage much brighter. 
2. paint the floor - it will stop dust rising. 
3. If you have a ceiling - paint that too - it will reflect the light again. If you haven’t got a ceiling, I would maybe consider fitting one  

4. fit some decent strip lighting - I got some from Wickes and they are really good. 

In terms of the single skin wall, I don’t think you need to do anything with it (other than paint it).  Given it’s an integral garage, it will get enough heat from the house without cold soaking everything. 

I guess in the end it’s about what do you want to achieve and budget. 

• Like 1

Make sure the guttering/drainage, particularly on the single skin wall, are clear and working as intended. You might consider covering the exterior of the single skin wall with some sort of water seal coating to keep moisture ingress to a minimum.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the info.  Much appreciated.  I am in the process of doing the floor to keep the dust, etc down so will have a look at the seal too for the wall.  I have a load of Duramat that will be going in too to make the floor pretty ;)  I think at some stage I will add a bit of insulation (it's an age thing) but getting it all painted does seem sensible as a starting point.  The walls, etc are all good and dry, so hopefully they'll stay that way.

thanks for the pointers.

Kevin

Insulation is good.... Ceiling most important (assuming it's not got a room above) in which case perhaps use cellotex or similar and leave it silver side down for even more light. Heating a garage is expensive but I use a dehumidifier running 24/7 with a condensate pipe running to outdoors so I never need empty it. Helps a lot. 

I have an integral garage too. I painted all the walls white, got plaster boards with insulation above them for the ceiling. I have traditional hanging strip lights but i would recommend getting the LED strip lights now for instant bright light. I havent yet but am thinking of fixing Ecotherm insulation panels along the walls (50mm thick) to prevent heat loss and cold bridging into the house. I have a standalone dehumidifier i fire up occasionally in winter to soak up any moisture/dampness from the car and garage space.

On the floor i put the rubber interlocking tiles over my garage slab. They do a good job and insulate a little from the cold slab. Have toyed with getting the floor resin coated a few times. 

Walls are adorned with obligatory Porsche racing pictures and Spa classic paraphanelia :)