Engine bay soundproof mat

RichD1

What's the best adhesive for fixing the soundproof mat in place. Thinking that it is just above the engine it's going to get quite hot so does it need a heat compatible adhesive?

Richard

I guess some sort of high temperature spray on contact adhesive would be ok but if it's tatty and coming away then just change it for a new one which will have a self adhesive backing.

Sorry, should have said, it is a new one going in whilst the engine is out. Just checked it and it has no self adhesive backing. OEM version from Matt.

Richard

Edited by RichD1

Just had a look at the mat I bought from Matt which is an OEM item and it does not have a self-adhesive backing. I've ordered some Trim-fix contact spray which has a temp rating of 125C.

Sorry, I must have made that up then. It's my age.

Maybe I just sprayed contact adhesive all over it and pretended it was self adhesive, which it would have been at that point. 

As a point of interest, can a mat be fitted while the engine is still in the car without too much faffing around (my 3.2 does not have the big heater pipe on the left side and the air box has been replaced with a cone filter)?

SurlySurdi@ I’ve just started trying to fit mine with no engine in. Have a look at the attached pics and I think it will be very hard to get the mat right down onto the chassis cross frame and behind the wiring loom. Just to get at it I’ve wedged myself in the engine bay and trying to hold the back end up whilst trying to manoeuvre the front end down past the shock towers and behind the wiring loom and has taken me the best part of an hour. This is only a trial fit too. I’m not sure how it can be done when you have contact adhesive applied!!! You would need to have octopus arms and hands.

I’m thinking that I may cut the mat about 150mm up from the front edge and get that fitted first. 

Richard

3A3A7BA8-9A71-4DB1-8CAB-69F9582119D9.jpeg

C8B10D1E-97F5-479C-8039-1C80A312CF85.jpeg

5B28150F-63AA-43FB-AA2F-F47C7BC648B9.jpeg

531C0EFC-DD87-43E5-9FAD-E09CFDB5D2D6.jpeg

75472992-B9F8-4B82-ADE7-7A941BEE6DE3.jpeg

I guess another alternative would be to dry fit the mat with no adhesive on the front 120mm. Get that properly in place and then try and get the mat pulled down as far as possible without disturbing the front fit and then spraying the contact adhesive in whilst the mats in position.

What are your thoughts on my two possible solution or is there a better way?

Richard

16 minutes ago, RichD1 said:

I guess another alternative would be to dry fit the mat with no adhesive on the front 120mm. Get that properly in place and then try and get the mat pulled down as far as possible without disturbing the front fit and then spraying the contact adhesive in whilst the mats in position.

What are your thoughts on my two possible solution or is there a better way?

Richard

That is exactly what I did and it went in no problem. The bottom of the mat is pretty much wedged in behind the strut towers so it is only really the front edge that you need to ensure is stuck properly. 

Biggest ball ache is get all the crud from the old disintegrated mat out of the nooks and cranny of the engine as it gets everywhere when you try and rip it out. 

Richard that looks like no fun at all. On reflection I think it would be best to wait until I next need to drop the engine, I don't fancy faffing around that much. Cheers for the pics.