Fuel tank replacement - one from a breakers in good condition or a new Dansk?

Chassis pipes at the rear needed replacing as someone in the past had bent one of the pipes and flattened it slightly and creased it. Unions to plastic underfloor pipes would not budge so tried to get the pipes off the tank but the return pipe union was severely corroded and would not budge and has now broken off.

So need a new tank!!

Obviously there is the Dansk aftermarket one but does not have an internal filter and will need painting to match the OE finish. The alternative is to find a used one from a Breakers. I have found a 1985 Turbo tank for sale at £480 and it looks in reasonable condition, but would need a close inspection to ensure there are no corrosion and likely pin holes. But I think Breakers do provide a guarantee that their items are fit for use.

Not sure what to do. Anyone had a similar experience?

Or has anyone got one that they would like to sell?

Edited by RichD1

I've been thinking about the lack of an internal filter on the Dansk version and trying to work out how the OE filter functions. Looking at the replacements ones it just appears to be a round screen on the locking ring.

Has anyone had a good look inside an OE tank and can enlighten my darkness!! 

5 minutes ago, RichD1 said:

I've been thinking about the lack of an internal filter on the Dansk version and trying to work out how the OE filter functions. Looking at the replacements ones it just appears to be a round screen on the locking ring.

Has anyone had a good look inside an OE tank and can enlighten my darkness!! 

See the "sealing ring" just a above the threads. The fuel line is below that, so the fuel had to flow through the mesh into the centre to pass the seal to the fuel line.911-201-141-00-M100.jpg.ba10e39e3e147b9a00f9449b7a41bc1f.jpg  

• Like 1

I have recently gone the dansk + external filter route as described above. Pretty fiddly as the space is very limited and the angles tight but doable. 

Dansk here too, but I never bothered with an inline filter, that was about 5 years/10k miles ago.  It'll probably block/jam now.

I think in the UK you are fine with the engine bay filter only, Delhi or Calcutta could be a different issue.

On 19/07/2022 at 19:58, Type911 said:

I think in the UK you are fine with the engine bay filter only, Delhi or Calcutta could be a different issue.

I’d be more worried about the roads or someone bashing into you over there!

• 1 month later...

New Dansk 161560020 tank delivered this Morning from Matt and it now comes with a filter just like the genuine tank.

Also filter 1618700500 in box ready to fit after flushing