Bought a four-post lift: Automotech AS-4T36S

Most big spending has been on hold while I am going through a divorce, but when my best mate pinged me about my perfect lift for sale recently it took two minutes to get a deal done. He spotted the lift in a Facebook group, I was not a member but he got the seller's number and I called him. Someone was on their way around to see it so I took a leap of faith and sent a deposit. Turned out to be a great thing to do. The seller was ace and the lift is like new - paid £1500 against a cost new of £3k so I am pleased.

Anyway, the lift is an Automotech AS-4T36S. This is the lift my garage/Porschehaus was pretty much built to house. It has a short bed of 3.2 metres that is perfect for a 911, leaving me some working space at the front of the garage. The garage roof was pitched at the angle to allow the 911's roofline to fit up into the ridge and give standing height beneath. 

Making the space for this job was a challenge. The 911 is off in storage since removing it from mother in law's garage and my garage had a dismantled CRV outside - not yet back together after a timing chain change and a front suspension rebuild - and the 924 Turbo up in axle stands inside. I had to put the CRV back together and then figure out moving the 924. There is a long long story around the 924 but anyway, upshot is that I got the CRV back together and running and we towed the 924 out with it.

Moving the lift was not an easy job. Ciara and I were helped by her boyfriend, Harley, and my youngest daughter, Orla. We were lucky not to have to move it in 40 degrees but OH MY GOD was still not an easy job. I had some advice from Tea Boy on dismantling it, followed that as best I could but the assembly varied somewhat and there was significant lifting involved. Putting it back together was easier, albeit I had not quite understood a few things - short learning curve and eventually all done. Sounds easy but was very very difficult as the Sprinter flatbed I used did not fit in the guy's garage to extract it. Harley and I built it up off the bed of the Sprinter once we were back at mine.

Now it is home and installed, what a brilliant thing! Looking forward to doing some work underneath it this weekend trying to put the 924 back together with fuel pumps and shift linkages. Fingers crossed. Very much looking forward to putting the 911 on here sometime soon - need to get some power to the garage first...

Car Lift JG.jpeg

IMG_5887.jpeg

IMG_5891.jpeg

IMG_5903.jpeg

A61CED2F-10A7-4762-9AB0-CD12D4554F20.jpeg

IMG_5933.jpeg

IMG_5940.jpeg

IMG_5943.jpeg

IMG_5946.jpeg

• Like 4

Most awesomeness in one thread, it fits perfectly 😎

Glad I'm not alone in designing/building a house around a car lift, thought I was the only spekle wrong un on here 🤔

If you an TB fancy the challenge of putting up the Burj Al Arab of 4 post lifts let me know or can I pop round to chat through how you went about fitting/setting it up?

How did you get hold of the Ravenna registered 924 Turbo, it looks a beauty?

• Like 1

Haha! You know we are always game for home visits ;)

I bought the 1980 Series 1 Turbo a good few years ago, crap Italian paint and a rough gearbox but came with another gearbox, was also crap. Painted it but it needs a mechanical refurb now really - lift will be handy. It is a rust free, no sunroof left hooker so a nice match for the Orange.

Well bought!

I have that same lift in the normal length - v handy. Managed to buy it last year  before the prices spiked. I went and collected it in a long wheelbase sprinter type van and still couldn't close the doors.

I unloaded it on day 2 on my own 'cept for an engine hoist and some wheel dollies. F me that thing was heavy and bulky. Wore safety shoes but thankfully didn't need them. Got a mate round to help me assemble it and we took our time. Instructions were good but not great. If you took it apart yourself then assembly is a relatively easy task.

Thanks Felix! Yes cool lift and the short one is awesome. F heavy but so much easier to put back together when you've taken it to bits. I am looking forward to many happy evenings and weekends under this thing.

Nice. My scissor lift is an Automotec and I can vouch for the fact they are built chuffin heavy! 
Twenty years ago when we moved into our house I promised myself a garage built around a lift and last year that promise came around. Didn’t have the width for a full two or three car den so decide an oversized single with tonnes of space around the car was the way to go. Built for a 911 but a w108 fits perfectly too! 22837353-F9B9-47C3-A411-A87A783C29B0.thumb.jpeg.0175eee561fa8845eb022cd52b1b7206.jpeg

Very nice John, but you have a long way to go to compete with our very own World Citizen.......................... :D

Edited by Beaky

Well done JG!  It's great when you plan for this and it works out perfectly!

This stuff is far heavier than you think.  I have the same one as Wingnonut - also buried in the floor.  I could not believe it when the delivery note said 750kg!   

I had to go full Egyptian with sandbags, planks and wooden rollers just to get it off the pallet! 

6 hours ago, ALEX P said:

Nice work JG. Great to be able to stack store them, just make sure the working one is underneath!!

So true!!!

Thanks all, very pleased. Richard, that 108 is superb!

14 hours ago, tea boy said:

I wouldn't fancy moving a four post lift, sounds like hard work! 😃

Yeah you didn't understate it. Left as much of it together as possible!!

• Like 1

Nice purchase, welcome to the automotec club ;)

Scissor lift weighing a stripped 964 shell:

33499345598_c0492be768_k.thumb.jpg.7189f8a1906d937a672d64e2fd5be429.jpg

And cos I know I'll get asked....

47375609241_153f1fa7dd_k.thumb.jpg.38f7c62a1a2adbc4fe5d3febf19b067d.jpg

On 28/07/2022 at 10:17, johndglynn said:

Very much looking forward to putting the 911 on here sometime soon - need to get some power to the garage first...

Yes! Do it.

Shout if you need a hand.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jevvy said:

Shout if you need a hand.

Will do - I am spending some time around Swindon these days so might pop in and see you. Have sent a 964 guy your way ;)