Classic Retrofit Porsche 993!

Just acquired a 993!  It's a non-variorum C2 tip, non AC in metallic black.  Interior is black/marble grey.

image.thumb.jpeg.d5a89bd4cb0fb29d280280969102569b.jpeg

It's done 95K and has service records back to 20k with the right people.  Sold by Paragon in 2007 and has only done about a 1000 miles a year since then.  Totally stock and not messed about with.  Drives absolutely lovely, no squeaks or rattles. 

Of course, the engine was bone dry the day I looked at it but the next day, I was greeted to a big puddle of oil underneath.  After an initial panic, it turns out that there is a small oil filter that is prone to rusting and sure enough it had a pin hole in it.

image.thumb.jpeg.3984a0f6acd12751b0fd7a9b86fbb670.jpeg

Oil filter is above the heat exchanger orange rubber tube

image.thumb.jpeg.6c7ba2a14a97aa41d99ed04ef45a9408.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c633916e0f68977e98adb37a30596f8d.jpeg

What a rotter to remove, access is very poor.  Eventually after taking a oil shower, got it undone with the chain wrench.

It got pretty mashed up by the chain wrench but you can see the corrosion below

image.thumb.jpeg.517a0d15d7735e6a60c381ffa76d10b9.jpeg

I've been reading about the Tiptronic which is not well understood.  There are 5 ECU maps and the car switches between them according to your driving style.  

If you drive it like a Mercedes then yeah, it's a wafter.   On my brief first drive I managed to get it into the sport map on a twisty road by more aggressive throttle and braking inputs - it then delays changing up and sits in the upper RPM band.  There is definitely a technique to be learned.

Service kit should arrive today and then ready for the weekend!

Edited by Jonny Hart
  • Like 1

I was lucky enough to have access to a 993 Cab Tip for a whole summer about 20 years ago. It was a real joy to drive, pleasantly quick when required to be and very comfortable on longer journeys, and yes a beautiful thing to behold - :steering:

Just a very minor observation and definitely not meaning to sound negative but for an oil filter casing to rust you have to question how well servicing has been done.  I guess you will be changing all of the fluids straight away, hence the service kit, so can start afresh.

It’s a great looking car by the way.  Will you be fitting ac?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

Just a very minor observation and definitely not meaning to sound negative but for an oil filter casing to rust you have to question how well servicing has been done.  I guess you will be changing all of the fluids straight away, hence the service kit, so can start afresh.

It’s a great looking car by the way.  Will you be fitting ac?

Actually it’s a victim of the 12k miles service schedule.   This car has only done 1000 miles a year for the last 10 years.   So, the filter has been on the car 10 years but officially doesn’t need changing.     I also found out that when the 993 was launched, the intention was that the small filter was fitted for the life of the vehicle.    Porsche backtracked on this a few years later.  

Anyhow, the oil that came out was honey coloured and no sign of any particles.   Yes, full service being done to start with.  

Edited by Jonny Hart

Just for the sake of "geekery", the small filter was introduced on the 993 specifically to protect the hydraulic tappets. 

Congrats on the acquisition Jonny. 

Mark

3 minutes ago, SilverWT said:

Just for the sake of "geekery", the small filter was introduced on the 993 specifically to protect the hydraulic tappets.

:signs118:as always Mark :ani_nerd:

Looks Great Jonny!

Out of interest my 997 TT is a Tiptronic and if you give it a couple of "blips" on the accelerator while stationary it resets the mapping and the car is back to mental mode

Maybe the same on the 993 Tiptronic too?

Cheers

DT

6 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Nice car Jonny, planning on EV'ing it ?

For me,   EV’ing is reserved for cars with lacklustre drivetrains.   So no, not this one. 

7 hours ago, Ducktail said:

Looks Great Jonny!

Out of interest my 997 TT is a Tiptronic and if you give it a couple of "blips" on the accelerator while stationary it resets the mapping and the car is back to mental mode

Maybe the same on the 993 Tiptronic too?

Cheers

DT

In Park?

1 hour ago, Jonny Hart said:

In Park?

I assumed this meant in neutral as when in park I think a different set of mapping criteria would be in play, would be good to know for future reference. 

^ Well I just tried two quick 'blips' whilst driving normally in 'D' and the box changed down immediately!   Perfect for getting ready for an overtake. 

Nice

That might be the "kickdown" mode

If you get the chance do the blips while the car is stationary then see if throttle response and gear changes are quicker afterwards...you could try while in Park and then again in Neutral..993 may be different to 997

Cheers

DT

The 993 is throttle by cable so not much to be done in terms of adjusting throttle response.

I seem to recall the the 993-era tiptronic looked at how far you pushed the throttle open and how fast you pushed it open to select the transmission programme to use. 

Posted (edited)

^ it also takes into account how fast you come off the throttle and lateral movement of the vehicle.  This prevents lazy upshifts happening on twisty roads. 

Edited by Jonny Hart

Nice acquisition Jonny, have been thinking of getting something like that or a 996TT tip (would be cheaper here) for trips to the Big Smoke.