Cross drilled discs by brembo, pagid or bosch - 3.2 Carrera?

SurlySurdi

Guys I am looking to buy a pair of front discs to fit an 84-89 Carrera. I want them to be cross drilled and made by brembo, pagid or bosch. Does anyone know where I can source some please? I have looked to the point of giving up!

4 hours ago, Type911 said:

Yes, we list Sebros, why the need for those 3 makes only SS?

Purely based on reputation and experience Matt having used all three makes and being satisfied with them. At this point in time I have given up and therefore I'm considering sebro, zimmerman and perhaps A.T.E.

Zimmerman I've read are O.E. suppliers, I haven't found much on Sebro. I am open to suggestions Matt/Wayne. I was hoping this would be straightforward,  a few years ago I'm sure my preferred makes were easier to source.

Cheers for the feedback Roy, if it comes to Zimmerman vs Sebro I'd welcome further opinions please.

As a matter of interest how long have you had the Sebros on the car, are they cross drilled and have you tracked them?

Sebros from Matt on my 3.2. Been on 10+ years(!), lots of track time, hard/race pads, no problems, very little wear.

Not cross drilled, and if you do some research on Pelican you will find a lot of issues with cross drilled ones cracking.

Mark

Zimmerman are ecellent discs but not OE to Porsche. Sebro however do supply very early solid discs to Porsche so are OE Porsche! Brembo are just living off their name, they are actually the cheapest cost price discs and pads we list on our site.

3 hours ago, Type911 said:

Zimmerman are ecellent discs but not OE to Porsche. Sebro however do supply very early solid discs to Porsche so are OE Porsche! Brembo are just living off their name, they are actually the cheapest cost price discs and pads we list on our site.

If you had to choose between the zims and sebro both cross drilled which ones would you go for Matt? Can you supply them?

Guys I've been edumacating myself and have decided to go for solid vented discs with a decent set of pads rather than the drilled discs. Overall these seem to be better for road/track use. Live and learn.

Thank you to Matt for supplying a pair of solid Sebro discs and price matching (in fact beating) the best ebay had to offer!

In addition, having talked to EBC I have ordered a set of bluestuff, they firmly steered me away from yellowstuff telling me that for fast road use with occasional track days these are the pads they recommend and also saying they are R90 approved for use on the road. They did provide a discount code bringing the price down from £90 down to £72 delivered. I'll be happy to share the code if anyone wants it.

Lastly I have ordered a litre of ATE super blue brake fluid, I think that amount should be enough, if not please let me know chaps.

I'll be providing some performance feedback once it's all fitted.

Edited by SurlySurdi

An update and some advice sought. Discs have been changed as have the pads. However two issues have arisen:

1. The goodridge braided hoses I bought say they are for the SC, but it also says up to 1989 cars, my car has later 3.2 brakes. The front hoses fit without an issue However the rears have a difference in the threaded flanges such that they don't fit. Should I just buy a pair of HEL rear braided hoses?

2. The big issue. On the drivers side front caliper there is evidence of vapour leakage at the rear of the caliper where the two halves mate up. My garage recommend I purchase a recon caliper with a rebate for my old one. How much is a reasonable price and are there any recommendations for who I should purchase from (BTW I've already messaged Matt).

Thanks.

SS

Edited by SurlySurdi

12 minutes ago, TargaWayne said:

Might have even been £65 each. Need to find the invoice.

Cheers Wayne, however their website does not have a phone  number or email address??

Edited by SurlySurdi

16 minutes ago, SurlySurdi said:

Cheers Wayne, however their website does not have a phone  number or email address??

They are a bit old school, don't think they do email.  Phone number is 01625 860910.

20220826_165912.jpg

20220826_165922.jpg

Ok checked my statement it was £440 for all 4 callipers inc VAT and return shipping (April 2022). It think it was £85 or £87 before the dreaded VAT. Turn around is usually 7-10 days. 

Edited by TargaWayne

Thanks Wayne I'm still waiting for Matt to come back. I have spoken to cca and they confirmed it's £88 plus vat with  7 to 10 day turnaround. Tbh I'd rather pay 30 quid more to Matt and not have to wait. No patience me!

The correct braided hoses from Goodrich are good for all IB's. We have sold 100's over the years with no problems

I have 1 caliper in stock, PM sent!

Some feedback on the EBC bluestuff pads. No pad squeal (I was expecting some TBH) and no more dust than normal. I performed the bedding in procedure which was a challenge in terms of finding a nice traffic free road but eventually I managed it. There are up to 3 different bedding in procedures depending on whether you're driving on the road or the track or racing. I've completed the on-road procedure which is going from 80 down to 30 eight times consecutively with about two thirds pedal force. I'll be performing the track procedure for Brands on the 1st December. 

I have never had so much confidence in my brakes as I have now. I can brake much deeper going into a corner and the pedal feels solid and responsive with excellent modulation. So I now have bluestuff on the front with new discs and Textar on the back with old discs (with plenty of life). The only downside is that the new pads are not wear sensor compatible so we've cable tied the sensors for now. I'm not concerned as I regularly check my pads anyway but it's worth mentioning for those who rely on the sensors.

Overall very happy with the upgrades.

Edited by SurlySurdi

A follow up on the caliper issue. The new caliper from Matt was fitted this morning and the new brake fluid was put in.

On the road I tested the brakes and the car pulled really hard to the left, cue lots of cursing and pi**ed offedness. Parked up and mulled it over then came to the realisation that maybe a new caliper needs bedding in a bit.

Off I went again and after some more hard brake tests I ended up with the caliper working perfectly, phew! So it was just a case of bedding it in.

Car now stops perfectly in a straight line, normal service has been resumed.

• johndglynn changed the title to Cross drilled discs by brembo, pagid or bosch - 3.2 Carrera?