Any iRacing Enthusiasts?

Mac

I’ve been iRacing now for almost 3 years, it has been an amazing experience that has taught me so much about driving dynamics.
I’m in my late sixties and I’ve done a fair amount of autox, commercial karts and some track days, and had read several books about competition driving and so forth over the years, basically I’m a fairy serious car and racing enthusiast.  I thought I knew a lot about driving the car at the limit, boy was I wrong!  
I have raced over 2000 times on iRacing and I have raced at Silverstone, Brands Hatch, Le Mans course, Spa, Monza, Hockenheimring, Hugaroring, Tsukuba, Okayama, Fuji, Suzuka, Laguna Seca, Road America, Phoenix International, Road Atlanta, Sebring, Daytona, MidOhio, Phillip Island, and Interlagos.  There is no way I could have ever been able to achieve these experiences in reality. For an annual fee of less than $100 per year.  You get about 15 tracks and 15 cars to start and if you want more tracks or cars they cost $12-$15.

I use a$250 Logitech steering wheel and pedals and have since I started, I’m pretty sure $10,000 equipment might give me a tenth or two but I don’t think it’s worth it.

So, I’m curious, any iRacing enthusiasts on here?

Mac

Never heard of iRacing before.  I do have a steering wheel and set of pedals and use my PlayStation mainly for the ring and brands.

Since I started trackdays I've pretty much stopped virtual driving, there's no substitute for real world experience even if its non competitive. 

Good luck with it though, as long as you're having fun enjoy it.

yep i am an avid iR enthusiast, especially since lockdown! It was actually PCGB that got me into it as hadnt touched iR for about 10yrs! They put a thread in their forum about starting a Porsche cup series and got an overwhelming response. We've had grids of 60 cars at some rounds 😎  The racing is excellent. It put me on a spend journey for new hardware and now have a full rig, triple screen setup with DD wheel and decent pedals etc.

As well as the P-cup series, a lot of us race in a GT4 league too which had cracking close racing. I also race in a GT3 league every sunday via UKSR, again another 60 car a round series with different classes for points depending on skill/experience level. Very competitive racing. Have to admit it gives you the full racing buzz and has even curbed my need/want for trackdays :wacko: though it did also encourage a big group of us P-cuppers to go on trackdays together too, think about 20 of us went to Donington last summer :) so has a good social side as well.

I raced in iR’s Global MX5 for quite a while in the beginning.  Because of it’s relatively soft suspension it teaches you a lot about pitch and roll dynamics and how to use them.  I know, especially, with 911s they want you to brake in straight line turn in and get on power asap to put weight back on rear tires to plant it.  This might be fine at 6 or 7/10th driving but if you are going 9 or 10/10th above will absolutely not work.

I’m sure most of us are not willing to push to that extent on the track with our personal cars.  That is the beauty of iR, you can push all you want and that allows you to understand vehicle handling dynamics at a different level.  

The other important aspect of iR is their license system. You start as a Novice and work your way up D, C, B, A and finally to Pro level.  The way you progress up the ladder is not by winning at all cost, it’s by racing clean, not running into others and staying within the track limits. This is easier said than done since you cannot control other racers. Plus as you progress iR pits you against people with similar abilities so competition toughens as you get faster.