Traffic Rant Thread

SurlySurdi

Rant of the day.....

Why oh why do ar$eho!e drivers on a 2 or 3 lane road that is empty insist on sticking to the right hand lane. Or when they overtake someone just sit there in the right lane with nobody in front of them!!! Van drivers in particular are bad. I tend to just go to the left lane 50ft back and keep pace with them rather than undertake which is what I used to do in younger days.  Absolute bast@%£'s!

14 minutes ago, Ian Comerford said:

Probably not bloody minded, just ignorant/unaware

I agree with that for some people but others? I'm not one to tailgate or get stupid and aggressive or unsafe but on occasion I've been very patient and then flashed someone to move over. Now, I've driven all over the world in many countries where a flash is no big thing, you move over for someone, they want to get past, no biggie.

Here, it's like a personal insult to someone's ego that they are getting flashed and they go straight into stupid mode and then just stay there, I mean what the heck is that about? 

I need my medication 💊 

Lane discipline in the UK is far worse than most/all european countries i have driven in. They have an almost self righteous belief in the UK that they can just sit there in the wrong outer lane for miles and you should drive around them or sit behind.  You get idiots in all countries but i am always impressed in europe when they move straight over into the correct lane once passing. However i do also hate their impatience and they will sit within inches of your bumper unless you get out the way, or pull straight out in front of you when wanting to overtake someone slower ahead. :wacko:

1 hour ago, GaryH said:

Isn't centre/outer lane-hogging now a Highway Code violation ? 🤔

It has always been covered by ‘Driving without due care and attention’ or ‘Driving in a manner liable to cause inconvenience’ if you are in Scotland. But as Les says, not enforced.

I've seen police do something, although it was several years ago. I thought they were going to pull me as I was probably doing 80. But they dropped back behind the centre lane hog and gave him the blues and twos. 

21 hours ago, SurlySurdi said:

I agree with that for some people but others? I'm not one to tailgate or get stupid and aggressive or unsafe but on occasion I've been very patient and then flashed someone to move over. Now, I've driven all over the world in many countries where a flash is no big thing, you move over for someone, they want to get past, no biggie.

Here, it's like a personal insult to someone's ego that they are getting flashed and they go straight into stupid mode and then just stay there, I mean what the heck is that about? 

I need my medication 💊 

Not sure about that, I was cut up by a French White van man the other week.  I flashed him a couple of high beams so he knew I was there, I didn't pap. He flipped and brake checked me, although I was already heavy on the brakes avoiding rear ending him and had backed off.  He braked so hard he almost lost control of his van, must have dropped his croissant and spilt his coffee over his lap.  Then decided to straddle the lanes swerving between the two to prevent me from overtaking for the next 5 miles.  

But yes, it seems to be a UK thing but not totally.

Though I always started singing in my head Bad Habit by Offspring when bad driving annoys me.

I do 40k+ miles a year and middle and outside lane joggers are a real pain, if you do flash them it just seems to antagonise them. My real pet hate is people that change lanes half way around a roundabout and then change back before they exit, especially if the roundabout has lane markings to each exit 😱

As I understand it, "undertaking" is a contravention of the Highway Code.

I don't believe that "filtering" is - i.e. when two lanes of traffic are moving at similar speed on a multi-lane carriageway.

I move into the inside lane, wait a few moments to permit the offender to do so also. If they do not, I advance in the inside lane anticipating their belated decision to move into the nearside lane. Once past, I remain in the inside lane.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Lane discipline in the UK is far worse than most/all european countries i have driven in. They have an almost self righteous belief in the UK that they can just sit there in the wrong outer lane for miles and you should drive around them or sit behind.  You get idiots in all countries but i am always impressed in europe when they move straight over into the correct lane once passing. However i do also hate their impatience and they will sit within inches of your bumper unless you get out the way, or pull straight out in front of you when wanting to overtake someone slower ahead. :wacko:

Personally I'd say that some EU countries do have a generally decent standard of driving but... those are in the minority, many others are atrocious compared to the UK. 

I agree on the lane discipline though, and the sense that road manners in general appear to have declined lately. 

50 minutes ago, mean in green said:

Personally I'd say that some EU countries do have a generally decent standard of driving

Except Belgium obviously ! :lol:

I could always tell when I was on the Belgian bit of the autoroute :o

• Like 1

Except France as well! Driving standards in France are abysmal! Indicators, if used at all bear no relationship whatsoever to the direction they're heading - they're obviously treated as pretty lights on the dashboard that they use as some form of in car entertainment. It seems that the driving test (if it exists) consists of checking whether you can drive whilst eating a baguette, drinking wine, and texting someone at the same time and the majority never seem to lose the habit. As for the truck drivers having a bottle of wine each for lunch perhaps least said!

• Like 2

• johndglynn changed the title to Traffic Rant Thread

Oh dear oh dear.

I recommend the mantra "assume incompetence, not malice". Some folks don't know what they don't know. Most of the time, they do not know you exist either. Be happy you know 👍🏻

On 07/10/2022 at 16:33, Roy M said:

Except France as well! Driving standards in France are abysmal! Indicators, if used at all bear no relationship whatsoever to the direction they're heading - they're obviously treated as pretty lights on the dashboard that they use as some form of in car entertainment. It seems that the driving test (if it exists) consists of checking whether you can drive whilst eating a baguette, drinking wine, and texting someone at the same time and the majority never seem to lose the habit. As for the truck drivers having a bottle of wine each for lunch perhaps least said

I'll try to remember to use those pretty lights on the dashboard and finish eating my baguette before cruising on the Suffolk road next time...

• Haha 1

Ha!  That's nothing!  Round here (Newbury, West Berks), the authorities have adopted a protocol whereby if there's any roadside work (e.g. a manhole cover in the pavement), they close that side of the road and put up cones and temporary traffic lights.  I'm not making this up.  The cones & lights appear to go up the day before and are taken down the day afterwards, so one day of work on the pavement becomes three days (and two nights, for gawd's sake) of temporary traffic lights.  At any one time, there are four or five roads locally like this.  How's that for a rant?

Perhaps I should go into the traffic light rental business.

On 04/10/2022 at 09:31, alastair said:

As I understand it, "undertaking" is a contravention of the Highway Code.

If you’re in the inside lane approaching a slower moving vehicle in the middle or outside lane it’s not undertaking as you haven’t made a lane change. At least that’s the defence I plan to use if/when I get done for doing that. 😁

2 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

Ha!  That's nothing!  Round here (Newbury, West Berks), the authorities have adopted a protocol whereby if there's any roadside work (e.g. a manhole cover in the pavement), they close that side of the road and put up cones and temporary traffic lights.  I'm not making this up.  The cones & lights appear to go up the day before and are taken down the day afterwards, so one day of work on the pavement becomes three days (and two nights, for gawd's sake) of temporary traffic lights.  At any one time, there are four or five roads locally like this.  How's that for a rant?

Perhaps I should go into the traffic light rental business.

They are rank amateurs compared with Severn Trent Water. They managed to close the main road from our village to Evesham on 3 successive weeks for 4 days each time to repair 3 different leaks. All 3 leaks were present before they fixed the first one…