Most popular 3.2 mods?

mohitos

Curious to know what the most popular 3.2 mods are, away from the obvious suspension upgrades.  Examples I have read about include:

- Blade style fuse box from Classic Retrofit (not sure if others make the same?)

- New bulbs behind dials (LED)? 

- Spacers

- Turbo tie rod ends

Any other obvious upgrades that are widely pursued by many?  Appreciate the feedback in advance!

Don't waste your time with any other fuse box manufacturers than Classic Retrofit. Jonny is a fellow IB owner and we have all been on the journey via this forum as he has developed these. Its a very worth upgrade.

In terms of others, proper set up and alignment of your suspension and good tyres are more worthwhile than any trinkets etc (I know you said that was obvious :)) buts its that important, I'll say it.

Other than that, better dash bulbs - Wevo shifter if its a 915 box - Turbo tie rod ends - Wider Fuchs wheels if budget allows - Blaupunkt SQR46 head unit for that period look - fruitier exhaust?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lesworth said:

Don't waste your time with any other fuse box manufacturers than Classic Retrofit. Jonny is a fellow IB owner and we have all been on the journey via this forum as he has developed these. Its a very worth upgrade.

In terms of others, proper set up and alignment of your suspension and good tyres are more worthwhile than any trinkets etc (I know you said that was obvious :)) buts its that important, I'll say it.

Other than that, better dash bulbs - Wevo shifter if its a 915 box - Turbo tie rod ends - Wider Fuchs wheels if budget allows - Blaupunkt SQR46 head unit for that period look - fruitier exhaust?

Thank you!  You had me at Jonny, certainly seems like the one, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. 

I have the SQR46 fitted.  Will also take a look at the Weave shifter, it does look interesting. 

I've done the following mods and haven't regretted any of them:

1. Wevo G50 short shifter and Precision Shift Joint

2. Turbo Thomas exhaust and heat exchangers

3. Poly bushes all round

4. Airbox cut out

5. MPL Tuning slave cylinder (30% reduction in foot force)

6. Bremen SQR46 radio

7. Rennline phone mount

8. DME solid state fuel relay

9. Carbon strut brace

10. LED gauge lights

• Like 1

Some nice seats? preferably lightweight like Recaros. Huge weight saving over stock seats, as in half or at least a third lighter depending on seat. I have Recaro Pole Positions in mine (10yrs!) - (Front Recaro seats replacing stock electric - 32kg weight saving!!)  but been thinking for a while of getting something more comfy yet still lighter than stock. (Rennsport safari rally or similar) 

These cars absolutely come alive with a weight reduction program.

These are just some of my many mods over the years:-

Recaro pole position seats
Wevo shifter
f/glass ducktail lid
nylon bushes - anti-roll bar mounts, (Clubsport) gearbox and engine mounts.
Bilstein front dampers & clubsport rear shocks
Aftermarket exhaust - in my case full race headers and TT 2-in-2out system
Strut brace
Re-chip (Steve Wong)
Odyssey lightweight racing battery
webcam 20/21 cams

Engine fruity rebuild by Richard Chamberlain

RS carpet set.

RS door cards

Perspex rear quarter lights (Shark gill)

F/glass bonnet

F/bumpers

8 hours ago, mohitos said:

Some excellent suggestions here.  As it's a Cab, I'm holding short on the lightweight / RS style mods.  Turbo tie rods and solid state DME ordered.  

If it's lower than stock. Bump steer kit.

• Like 1

Perhaps the first question is what do you want to archive? -  better driving dynamics from a "standard car" all the way to modded monster all obviously subject to the budget and return on value!

Rather than list my mods, similar ones have been noted above, if you look at the "Build threads" on engines, gearboxes, suspension, Wheels, exterior/interiors sub forums you'll quickly assimilate what the "norm" is.

Don't get rid of the original seats , especially if sport ones , there's nothing better available for comfort even though they are heavy , do change the fuseboard to a jonny special , do get a steve wong chip ,do upgrade the exhaust inc a bypass pipe ,do go 7" and 8" fuchs , do keep a spare DME , do go turbo tie rods , do go to Centre Gravity to get the suspension set up , as yours is a cab it will already have the clubsport engine mounts , I wouldn't bother with antyhing poly , new rubber ones will be just as good , drive it..

16 hours ago, TargaWayne said:

If it's lower than stock. Bump steer kit.

Proper one or just the rack spacers? 

On 14/10/2022 at 06:06, omalleym said:

I've done the following mods and haven't regretted any of them:

1. Wevo G50 short shifter and Precision Shift Joint

2. Turbo Thomas exhaust and heat exchangers

3. Poly bushes all round

4. Airbox cut out

5. MPL Tuning slave cylinder (30% reduction in foot force)

6. Bremen SQR46 radio

7. Rennline phone mount

8. DME solid state fuel relay

9. Carbon strut brace

10. LED gauge lights

Did you go for the WEVO PSJ shift coupler?  Considering getting one via TwinSpark when they get them back in stock before considering the shifter as well.

18 minutes ago, Ruskiedog said:

Did you go for the WEVO PSJ shift coupler?  Considering getting one via TwinSpark when they get them back in stock before considering the shifter as well.

Just be aware that this type of coupler can transmit more noise into the cabin.  I have one of a different brand (same construct as the Wevo) and it’s definitely noisier.

1 hour ago, Ian Comerford said:

Just be aware that this type of coupler can transmit more noise into the cabin.  I have one of a different brand (same construct as the Wevo) and it’s definitely noisier.

Thanks Ian, aware of that and not too worried, my scart exhaust will compliment! LoL ;o)

2 hours ago, Ruskiedog said:

Yes I did and really improves the precision of the changes

• Like 1

You mentioned about the obvious suspension upgrades.  One of the best things I did to mine was replace the old shocks with some box fresh Boge ones.  After a alignment setup this transformed my car!!  Don't discount just refreshing tired stuff.

Another point was to upgrade the rear ARB mounts.  Mine had cracked and replaced with some uprated Wevo ones, but think there are other suppliers now.

Seats to suit your behind!  eg as MarkJ mention, Recaro Pole Position (I absolutely LOVE mine).  Get to a shop that stocks seats and try as many as possible, what is comfy for me won't be comfy for you and vice versa.

New steering wheel also?  Most opt for a Momo prototipo, mines a Nardi classic.

Recommend 2x DME spares for when you find yourself at the side of the road and the first spare is also faulty. They aren't the most reliable part! :)

Do the headlight relay thing before the stalk contacts get damaged. 

Clubsport RS steering wheel one of my favorite upgrades.

How much is a Centre Gravity set up + turbo tie rods? Been meaning to do that for 12 years....

Must say after over 16 years and nearly 80k miles of carrying a couple of spare DMEs I've never needed to replace.  Have a solid state one installed now and I still have a couple of spare in the glovebox 🙄

10 hours ago, Nige said:

Must say after over 16 years and nearly 80k miles of carrying a couple of spare DMEs I've never needed to replace.  Have a solid state one installed now and I still have a couple of spare in the glovebox 🙄

It’s the day after you take them out of the glove box that you’ll need it 😊

On 18/10/2022 at 21:13, Nige said:

Same,