Jump to content

Expanded London ULEZ - anyone else effected?


SilverWT

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, longman said:

Its not just Islington , loads of London Boroughs do it , extra 50% per hour if Diesel .. that equates to £14 ish per hour to park on the street

just makes me laugh that i could stop on a single yellow leave the engine running carry out my client meeting obviously keeping an eye out and not have to pay & do more harm environmentally  🤷‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...
11 minutes ago, njpcarrera32 said:

It seems that the people of Ruislip and Uxbridge have given their verdict on this expansion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66264893

The Other Nige 

Reading what Angela Rayner has said, my bet is an announcement soon saying that "they are pushing back the go live, too ensure that the scrapage scheme works for all hard working families hit by the cost of living crisis."

i.e. until after the next election

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TargaWayne said:

Reading what Angela Rayner has said, my bet is an announcement soon saying that "they are pushing back the go live, too ensure that the scrapage scheme works for all hard working families hit by the cost of living crisis."

i.e. until after the next election

Various Labout MPs have already been calling for a delay in expansion and the Government have been calling for a total rethink, but it is a Devolved matter and SK is not listening. Hard to see what pressure they can put on him short of bribing him with a safe Labour seat and guaranteeing Party Leadership/PM!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, SilverWT said:

 Hard to see what pressure they can put on him short of bribing him with a safe Labour seat and guaranteeing Party Leadership/PM!

 

A tour to Ukrainian frontline.............................

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TargaWayne said:

Reading what Angela Rayner has said, my bet is an announcement soon saying that "they are pushing back the go live, too ensure that the scrapage scheme works for all hard working families hit by the cost of living crisis."

i.e. until after the next election

Agreed, she would not support ULEZ on the news this morning. They are falling back on the scrappage scheme as an excuse but that isn’t going to save them. The biggest concern, for me, is when will they move the goalposts and change the cut off to a newer euro emissions standard and force even more people to sell their cars?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone who lives in South London knows that the issue is public transport.

Going in and out of London is great but getting across is virtually impossible. Essentially you have to go into London to come out again. For example Sutton to Bromley across would be the best part of Three hours on bus . Even from where I live in Whyteleafe, to get to Sutton where I used to work would take an hour on the bus for an 8 mile journey. It’s quicker, and far more expensive, to go into London and out again. Therefore everyone uses their car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You forget it isn't an outright ban which if you are serious about pollution it should be.

You can continue to pollute, you just need to pay me £12.50 a day t do so, and I will not guarantee that all the £12.50 will be used to reduce pollution!

Its just a money grab as he's consistently blown his budget.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Beaky said:

You forget it isn't an outright ban which if you are serious about pollution it should be.

You can continue to pollute, you just need to pay me £12.50 a day t do so, and I will not guarantee that all the £12.50 will be used to reduce pollution!

Its just a money grab as he's consistently blown his budget.

 

All very true but it is a very narrow focus on a very specific issue. There is no consideration on the wider impact on the environment. We all know that keeping a car a long time reduces the overall environmental impact of that car. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So how’s a scrappage scheme going to help those who rely on bangernomics to keep mobile? If I own a car that cost me a few hundred £ to buy, and I have nothing else to add to the pot, what’s the chance of me finding a ulez compliant family car for under £2000 or whatever the scrappage allowance is?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Phill said:

All very true but it is a very narrow focus on a very specific issue. There is no consideration on the wider impact on the environment. We all know that keeping a car a long time reduces the overall environmental impact of that car. 

Agreed but… SK has a specific problem to solve and a rather limited toolset with which to do it. I would guess he could care less about the issues his solutions cause outside of London; he’s understandably just concerned about London. If his solution helps contribute to a problem elsewhere that’s of little to no concern to him.

Please don’t get me wrong; I’m not a fan of SK or his chosen solution but I do have some empathy for the situation he’s in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Beaky said:

You forget it isn't an outright ban which if you are serious about pollution it should be.

You can continue to pollute, you just need to pay me £12.50 a day t do so, and I will not guarantee that all the £12.50 will be used to reduce pollution!

Its just a money grab as he's consistently blown his budget.

 

Compare it to the way Scottish Clean Air zones work - non-compliant emissions vehicles cannot enter the zones period. If you do you get fined, with the fine doubling each time afterwards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And now the one day travelcard is being phased out, so discouraging visitors from outside London from using public transport.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66268315
 

Thus creating an incentive to drive all the way into London adding to the pollution problem. You couldn’t make it up! 
 

Does anyone in positions of power ever think about the law of unintended consequences?

 

 The Other Nige 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, njpcarrera32 said:

And now the one day travelcard is being phased out, so discouraging visitors from outside London from using public transport.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66268315
 

Thus creating an incentive to drive all the way into London adding to the pollution problem. You couldn’t make it up! 
 

Does anyone in positions of power ever think about the law of unintended consequences?

 

 The Other Nige 

Al least Sadiq Khan has achieved one thing that many think would be impossible....He's made Boris Johnson look like a competent London Mayor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/07/2023 at 16:46, TargaWayne said:

Al least Sadiq Khan has achieved one thing that many think would be impossible....He's made Boris Johnson look like a competent London Mayor.

Yes, I certainly don't see Sadiq Khan doing this

boris.jpg.e4a9b56298ac221a456f5f57d6224be3.jpg

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Disappointing news today. Now we can only hope he loses the next election.

I wonder how long before I’m forced to sell my 2007 Fiat 500 and then my 2012 Honda CRV.

Edited by Phill
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Phill said:

Disappointing news today. Now we can only hope he loses the next election.

I wonder how long before I’m forced to sell my 2007 Fiat 500 and then my 2012 Honda CRV.

Each time I want to drive the IB, I now have to pay that A Hole £12,50...................................least for the next 4 years until it becomes exempt.

I could always out the Boxster plate on it as its only one digit different, and I bet no one will notice 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Beaky said:

Each time I want to drive the IB, I now have to pay that A Hole £12,50...................................least for the next 4 years until it becomes exempt.

I could always out the Boxster plate on it as its only one digit different, and I bet no one will notice 

Apparently there are quite a few Taycans for sale...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No.1 son’s Golf is 8 years from eligibility. We are about to put an Audi R32 engine in it which is compliant but the car still won’t be. If he turns right out of our drive he won’t have to pay, if he turns left he will 😪

Depending on what his insurance is with 250hp under the bonnet it may even be worth buying a small runabout for daily use therefore adding to congestion :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Beaky said:

Once you have done the transplant, is there no way to get it tested and re-registered as compliant?

You can but it is hugely expensive for cars and it would need the same level of cats as the original. The DVLA has to be notified of the change of engine (which from other forums is pretty difficult in itself if you don’t have all the relevant details) and the car then has to be tested by the VCA on a rolling road.

Annoyingly this can be done for motorbikes for a couple of hundred pounds.

Edited by Phill
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fred said:

I have read that a few dealerships don't want to take back EVs as part exchange. Looks like second hand EV market is a problem. 

Wrong thread...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I put the reg of my 1974 Beetle, which is registered as historic, in the London zone website, it shows I would have to pay congestion charge and ULEZ. But checking other websites and on here, it looks like it should be free. 
Can someone clarify please.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...