Le Mans 2023

Ian Comerford

I quite fancied going next year having been a regular for many years and then not going since 2018.  New teams, car designs and also the celebration of 100 years all contributed to an event worth revisiting.  I was about to start booking when a friend called to say that parking was sold out…….  This is a bit of a faff because I like to visit different areas, especially Arnage, and move about whenever I feel like it.  Not so easy now, so I am going to look for private parking options. I also checked Travel Destinations who I have used a few times before and all of their packages are sold out.  Oh dear!

For the normal Le Mans we tend to book with Lycian Events, when I went to reserve a pitch they said fat chance they have been fully booked for ages and could have sold it 3 times over!

Best bet is to tag onto a group booking and see if anyone drops out.

Other options people are considering are staying in town and using the tram to get to the circuit.

This classic isn't sold out...yet! and I prefer it to the normal Le Mans, both are celebration the centenary so should be special.

I have reserved a pitch with Lycian as my plan B, but may gave it up as now have a place in a gite elsewhere 

12 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

Not if you like endurance racing it isn’t.

Yeah fair point. But nevertheless if you can't get something together for the 24hours it will be a way of celebrating the 100th anniversary.

Edited by Chris_911

we got royally stitched up by Lycian and i dont think i'll ever use them again. We pre-booked months in advance for camping, ie literally after this years race! they told us we were on the pre-booked list and would hear once they officially started the booking procedure. Assumed all was good so didnt book anywhere else only then to see a loose statement published saying 'if you hadnt heard from us you didnt get a booking!' except this was announced so late that everywhere else had now sold out. 😡 Was not a happy bunny considering i have stayed with them many times over the years. Really p*ss poor way of dealing with what was obviously going to be a busy event, hence why we booked so early! So now looks like we have no chance of going without someone pulling out at last minute.

It will be painful for me to sit at home and watch this 100th anniversary event :(  Might also be dodging a bullet in the fact that it will be massively oversub-scribed and a nightmare to move about, buy food/drink etc. but a real shame to miss out on the inaugural Hyper car class.

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/12/2022 at 09:57, MarkJ said:

we got royally stitched up by Lycian and i dont think i'll ever use them again. We pre-booked months in advance for camping, ie literally after this years race! they told us we were on the pre-booked list and would hear once they officially started the booking procedure. Assumed all was good so didnt book anywhere else only then to see a loose statement published saying 'if you hadnt heard from us you didnt get a booking!' except this was announced so late that everywhere else had now sold out. 😡 Was not a happy bunny considering i have stayed with them many times over the years. Really p*ss poor way of dealing with what was obviously going to be a busy event, hence why we booked so early! So now looks like we have no chance of going without someone pulling out at last minute.

It will be painful for me to sit at home and watch this 100th anniversary event :(  Might also be dodging a bullet in the fact that it will be massively oversub-scribed and a nightmare to move about, buy food/drink etc. but a real shame to miss out on the inaugural Hyper car class.

Same here, no thought on loyalty and we've been going for many years taking several pitches as a group.

Now looking at alternatives, I staying with others in a Gite for the classic, ideally would like to do both!

Edited by Beaky

Well, although I went to this year's Le Mans I won't be going to next year's event. I have decided to go to the Classic Le Mans for the first time. A mate has just built a bespoke Mercedes sprinter van for the trip and I'm going in that. 

This year I took the 911 but I won't miss it, after the drive there I basically parked up for 4 days and then drove back, it was fun but want something different for next year.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SurlySurdi said:

Well, although I went to this year's Le Mans I won't be going to next year's event. I have decided to go to the Classic Le Mans for the first time. A mate has just built a bespoke Mercedes sprinter van for the trip and I'm going in that. 

This year I took the 911 but I won't miss it, after the drive there I basically parked up for 4 days and then drove back, it was fun but want something different for next year.

Right car, wrong event?  

Major part of the fun going to the classic is the drive down with the other classics.  

• 3 months later...

we managed to get a late booking for the 24hr 100th, presumably after someone else pulled out (as i had put us on a reserve list with a couple of companies). So we are now staying at Porsche Curves :) cant wait!   just hope the French arent too disruptive at the departure/arrivals considering how much industrial action and protesting going on out there at the moment. Should be a mega event with all the centenary celebrations and a massive line up of great cars from LMDH down to GT class. :cool: Got grandstand tickets as well this time, up near the Dunlop bridge, as sure the infield standing areas will be chocker.

Will be cruising down in the V8V 🤠

• Like 1

Good stuff. Hope to catch you for a beer and a baguette Mark - we will try and go to Arnage Friday night for a few. 

If anyone else is looking, that Telegram group has been going off all day today. So there are tickets available. 

15 hours ago, Northy said:

Good stuff. Hope to catch you for a beer and a baguette Mark - we will try and go to Arnage Friday night for a few. 

If anyone else is looking, that Telegram group has been going off all day today. So there are tickets available. 

ooh Arnage for evening beers sounds like a plan ! Love the atmos in that little village with bars full of petrol heads. Though i think there is a concert and things going on in the circuit friday as part of the centenary celebrations so will have to find out the itinary. We dont arrive until early/mid afternoon friday.  Be warned, the circuit only sells sh*tty Carlsberg at 90% of bars now, treason in my eyes! they sold out the Kronenbourg/Stella license to Carlsberg for some insane reason and it was weak (overpriced - 10 euro!) beer everywhere at CLM last year. 💩 Another good reason to escape to Arnage 🤠

On 27/04/2023 at 11:32, MarkJ said:

we managed to get a late booking for the 24hr 100th, presumably after someone else pulled out (as i had put us on a reserve list with a couple of companies). So we are now staying at Porsche Curves :) cant wait!   just hope the French arent too disruptive at the departure/arrivals considering how much industrial action and protesting going on out there at the moment. Should be a mega event with all the centenary celebrations and a massive line up of great cars from LMDH down to GT class. :cool: Got grandstand tickets as well this time, up near the Dunlop bridge, as sure the infield standing areas will be chocker.

Will be cruising down in the V8V 🤠

I assume you are staying with Joy and Stephen (Lycian Events), its a great location, has it own facilities, its where I normally stay

no they are the buggers that stitched us up over our early booking, wont be using them again. But have stayed in that camp site many times over the years. You get a fantastic atmosphere down by the Porsche curves at Dusk and dawn, still got memories of all the Danish that used to gather down there cheering on Tom Kristensen.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had an email from Select Motor Racing to say tickets dispatched today!  Excitement mounts!

However, following a skiing accident that resulted in a broken femur in March one of our party has had to drop out (apparently 25ksteps a day, hours on end in a car and sleeping on a carry mat in a tent don't work with two crutches!)

We have two camping pitches in the new improved Beausejour (but we will now use that between 3 of us and two cars) and full weekend tickets with Leonard Grandstand seat.  As such we would have one ticket and Grandstand seat going spare. Face value is £269 so looking to recoup as much of that as possible.

Recognise the chances of one person wanting a ticket is slim but also recognise no one is likely to want to join us in the car and camp site. But worth an ask.

Cheers,

Richard.

Good to hear that you are all managing to get tickets. The hypercars are stunning (especially the Ferrari 😍). They put on a great show in Spa with great racing until the end in all three classes. Just be prepared for both Toyota's to finish about a day ahead of the rest of the field ;)

2 hours ago, Wingnonut said:

Recognise the chances of one person wanting a ticket is slim but also recognise no one is likely to want to join us in the car and camp site. But worth an ask.

Cheers,

Richard.

I maybe worth elaborating on the logistics, travel plans, camp site, etc