Turning over then cutting out

Tried starting my car this morning. Cranks fine for a couple of seconds then nothing. Cranks really strongly, even tried connecting battery to jump it but same thing. Recently had starter replaced, coil is recent, has fuel, checked HT leads seated ok. What else should I check guys?

No Matt, would they be part of what should be done when changing the starter motor? Or are you asking because if they have been changed then something could have gone amiss?

I started her up on Sunday because shed been sitting in the garage a week and just wanted to turn her over. She didn't miss a beat then, yet 2 days later this happens.

Edited by SurlySurdi

The odd thing is that she cranks really well for 2 seconds then stops cranking even though the key is still in position to crank and start.

Had a word with a mate, ill check the relay in the morning and then check the connections to the starter motor before I do anything else.

Hi Peter yes alarm/immobiliser fitted and I've bypassed them in case that's an issue but I'm sure it's not. If they prevent starting there is no cranking allowed at all.

The starter is refurbished and correct me if I'm wrong but our cars have a starter motor/solenoid which is all in one so I wouldn't expect that to be it however the car is being recovered to my garage and they will be able to hopefully check that. 

I've jacked up the car and the contacts are solid to the starter motor. Have swapped relays as well. Bit stumped unless it is the flywheel ref sensors as Matt has suggested although I wouldn't expect them to be fine one day then completely no good the next.

They certainly can be good one day, bad the next (as I found out) but that results in cranking fine just not firing or starting..... Ignition barrel switch would be my guess, easily tested.

Chris.

I would find out what pins do what on the back of it and short the appropriate pins to make the engine crank. I don't know what pins that is without looking at a manual, perhaps somebody has one in front of them? The connectors are insulated spades so you could perhaps slide them off one mm to expose enough metal to make the short while the key is in the ignition on position.... 

IIRC the yellow wire from the back of the ignition switch is the starter wire.  Power it up and the starter should keep spinning

Found out the immobiliser which I thought I had bypassed was not bypassed.  Sorted that out, the immobiliser cuts off the starter so now that its cranking continuously I know thats no longer an issue. Engine is cranking as long as I hold the key now however its not starting. Strong fuel smell, pulled the plugs and they're soaked. Next we got a new plug and attached a HT lead and cranked the engine. A strong fat spark is visible so the flywheel reference sensors must be doing their job. Can smell fuel so the injectors are pulsing. 

Cleaned up the plugs put them back, tried starting, loads of cranking, strong smell of fuel, no start. Have now ordered a new set of plugs to be delivered in the morning. So, theory says we have fuel, air and spark which should result in it starting. In summary, engine is cranking so starter motor is good, we have spark and injectors are pulsing so flywheel sensors muat be working sending a signal to the ecu. We will see in the morning with new plugs, can't think of anything else at the moment.

Edited by SurlySurdi

No expert but a couple of points.

Immobiliser is usually multiple circuit so if starter motor is running doesn't necessarily mean ignition and fuel circuits are ok

If you have cranking, fuel, and spark at the correct time it should start - at the wrong time it won't.

Apologies if I'm just stating the obvious!

Cheers Roy, I spoke to my alarm guy and he confirmed my immobiliser only connects to the starter motor. He said if starter motor is turning then immobiliser is not interfering. Another thought came to mind. The coil could be providing intermittent spark in which case a spark may be seen from a plug but this does nor necessarily equate to being able to start

A bit of background information.  Since the last 2 weeks I have been experiencing idling that is hunting a little. This may be the result of the coil packing up to the point where now its just not doing its job.

Edited by SurlySurdi

Yes I think it was, replaced it as a result of foolishly thinking it would be a good idea as part of my rebuild! Even more foolishly I then threw out the original !!

Have asked Matt if he has one, will phone D911 in the morning if Matt can't help. If anyone in Kent or its Borders has one I could borrow or buy please let me know.

Question for you guys, is it possible to use Bosch coil 0221118335 (92860211600) instead of the coil I need on a temporary basis until Matt can get me the proper one?

Just trying to think outside the box.

Edited by SurlySurdi

Wet plugs can sometimes never be fully recovered, even if you think that you’ve cleaned & dried them and they spark outside of the engine.  The voice of hard learned experience here.

Might I suggest that before you imagine the worst and start planning to buy a new engine a bit at a time, fit a new set of plugs and review afterwards.

Ian thank you sir, that is MUCH appreciated. I will get back to you later today once I know a bit more about the condition of my coil.

Thank you for the voice of reason Peter, I must admit, sometimes panic mode sets in and I'm straight into worst case scenario! New plugs will be fitted today, in the meantime I'll have my mechanic check the coils resistance to ensure its within spec.

🤞

Edited by SurlySurdi

2 hours ago, PeterK said:

Wet plugs can sometimes never be fully recovered, even if you think that you’ve cleaned & dried them and they spark outside of the engine.  The voice of hard learned experience here.

Might I suggest that before you imagine the worst and start planning to buy a new engine a bit at a time, fit a new set of plugs and review afterwards.

+1 on this = had same issue on 924, new plugs cured immediately.

c

Well guys, I've managed to prove my plugs were fine. New ones fitted and same thing, cranking but not starting. 

In further news, I have managed to purchase the only remaining coil in the UK !!

It's the correct coil as sold by Matt, I saw one on fleabay that was sold on the 18th. Called up the seller in the off chance they had another one and bingo! They had one last new coil on the shelf. It will be here next week then we will see what's what.