Minilite on 3.2

jellyfishfields

Finally getting round to actually buying wheels after pondering for too long. I'm really just looking to widen the fronts to 7"

I have a price for new Fuchs but also wondered about Minilites. They do them in 16 X 7" and 16 X 8" but the offsets they make are et13 on the 7" and et0 for the 8" Can get a complete set for about the same price of the front pair of new Fuchs.

Can anyone advise me if they will fit without rubbing the wings with a pretty much standard suspension set up? 

Another thing is trying to find any photos of this size fitted to a car. I know longman had these wheels, but struggling to find photos.

I'm waiting to hear back from them about the weight, which might be another consideration. 

I just bought minilites for my BMW direct from the manufacturer. You can have them in any offset you like. Give them a call, they are very helpful. http://minilite.co.uk/products.htm
I also had a custom colour and they were ready when they said they would be. I also had a pair refurbed by them and they came back like new. A very good service all round.

Edited by Phill

2 hours ago, Phill said:

I just bought minilites for my BMW direct from the manufacturer. You can have them in any offset you like. Give them a call, they are very helpful. http://minilite.co.uk/products.htm
I also had a custom colour and they were ready when they said they would be. I also had a pair refurbed by them and they came back like new. A very good service all round.

I emailed them, that was the only option they gave for the 16" Porsche fitment. Large choice of colours though.

Which model of BMW do you have them on?

3 minutes ago, jellyfishfields said:

That does look good 👍

Any chance you have any other pics to hand you could show me? 🙂

Is the difference in weight something you can feel when driving?

Sorry no , the weight difference was quite a lot , repro Fuchs were lighter .. sold them to someone on the forum but cant remember who..

35 minutes ago, Phill said:

Mine are on a 1975 1602. 
To be fair they don’t list 16s on the website. I’m sure if you asked for a different offset they would do it for you.

Cheers, I'll give them a shout tomorrow. 👍

16 minutes ago, longman said:

have you had a look at Image wheels as they do some funky Fuchs-ish and Minilite style wheels

Thanks, I'll go have a look.👍

Edited by jellyfishfields

2 hours ago, jellyfishfields said:

The Minilite wheels look great, but from what I can see online they're around double the weight.

Decided I'll either go for the Campags, or just order a pair of 7" front Fuchs and hope they match the rears OK.

Nothing light about Minilites, chunky monkeys

Extra weight will dull the steering and nimbellness feeling

Campag's are heavier than Fuchs but probably lighter than Miniheavies

Fuchs are lighter than a light thing, strong too as they're forged

Thanks for all the input with this, much appreciated.

After taking everything into account, weight, strength, looks, finish etc. I decided to bite the bullet and go with a full set of new Fuchs. 

A bit of a backlog at the moment I'm told, so I'll see when they arrive. Hopefully in time for the warmer weather, whenever that is.

• Like 2

I was going to say don't just buy a new pair of Fuchs...I did that, buying 8s and moving the old 7s to the front. Didn't work as the new ones really showed the old ones up (which was funny as they looked fine as a set). Therefore had to buy new 7s as well...painful, but look and feel great steering wise, and a lot cheaper than some of the scabby old sets that used to be for sale on ebay!

Bob

9 hours ago, RivieraBob said:

I was going to say don't just buy a new pair of Fuchs...I did that, buying 8s and moving the old 7s to the front. Didn't work as the new ones really showed the old ones up (which was funny as they looked fine as a set). Therefore had to buy new 7s as well...painful, but look and feel great steering wise, and a lot cheaper than some of the scabby old sets that used to be for sale on ebay!

Bob

Yes, came to the same conclusion after speaking with a refurb place and the Fuchs agent. Both thought I'd be lucky for them to match. 

How did you get on with the centre caps, did they match OK?

9 hours ago, mean in green said:

Some of which cost more than new ones!

Old wheels then the refurb cost, it's not cheap.

32 minutes ago, jellyfishfields said:

How did you get on with the centre caps, did they match OK?

A PO had painted mine gloss black so ended up buying new. If yours are in good nick then the matt black matches the petal finish perfectly (presuming you've gone for black). It was a leap of faith as I believe I was the first on here to go for the new build Fuchs (there's a post on here somewhere), but you won't be disappointed as they are as perfect as the originals; they have the Fuchs stamp and only difference is the lack of a Porsche part no stamp - for that I guess you'd have to pay the Porsche tax which seems ridiculous.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, World Citizen said:

The old adage, Strong, Light, Cheap, Choose any 2 out of 3.

On 20/01/2023 at 13:10, World Citizen said:

10 hours ago, TargaWayne said:

The old adage, Strong, Light, Cheap, Choose any 2 out of 3.

Out of interest, both Minilite and Fuchs came back with weights for their wheels, as below.

Milinlite: 7" 12.0 KG,    8" 13.5 KG

Fuchs:     7" 5.6 KG,      8" 5.85 KG

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jellyfishfields said:

Out of interest, both Minilite and Fuchs came back with weights for their wheels, as below.

Milinlite: 7" 12.0 KG,    8" 13.5 KG

Fuchs:     7" 5.6 KG,      8" 5.85 KG

Looks about right, quite a difference

On my 964 I've stripped out over 200kgs,  biggest single difference I felt driving was the weight I removed from the wheels

Was a huge eureka moment, despite a lifetime of saving weight on super road and race cars 

It transformed the driving/steering feel. Less rotating inertia,  gyroscopic effect to the steering and unsprung mass transformed the acceleration, steering and grip

The 10kgs I saved on the wheels felt the same as the first 100kgs I saved on the chassis

• Like 1