4 Pot front brake Callipers for 3.2 Carrera

Ant7

where to get cheap boxster brake calipers then? and the 315 dollar adapter kit

I found a really good set a few years ago for £200 (I think...) from a breakers. The adaptors came from Club Autosport for £80. Bolts were sourced locally and my local motorbike shop made up custom flexi hoses. £350 all in perhaps? 

23 hours ago, sopor said:

The surface area of the SC/3.2 pistons is slightly bigger than those of the 964/Boxster calipers so the SC/3.2 calipers will require slightly more MC movement to achieve the same amount of pad movement.

Sorry,this is not correct. The combined piston area for a SC/3.2 caliper is 3619.115 sq mm. For the 964 it's 4549.026 sq mm.

On 10/07/2023 at 22:03, axel said:

where to get cheap boxster brake calipers then? and the 315 dollar adapter kit

I got mine on eBay - about 300 for the pair.  As it goes I’ve ended up with both the elephant racing adapter kit and the rebel racing kit - I’ll sell one of them (likely elephant racing) once I’ve got it all fitted. 
Turns out rebel racing do ship eventually. 

My thinking is probably get the turbo MC and just do it all in one hit. 

Hey Lewis, drop me a PM regarding your spare adapter kit and how much (mates rates obviously ;) ).  My adapters are home made, whilst they are fine I've wanted to swap them at some point.

2 hours ago, Northy said:

@SilverWT does the sc/3.2 brake reservoir fit the 930 master cylinder? Or do you need that too? 

The std reservoir (SC, 915 3.2 & G50 3.2) is OK, no need to change.

Mark

• Like 1

On 11/07/2023 at 13:33, hagarep said:

Sorry,this is not correct. The combined piston area for a SC/3.2 caliper is 3619.115 sq mm. For the 964 it's 4549.026 sq mm.

You are absolutely correct. In my hasty maths I "lost" one of the 36mm pistons. My apologies for the confusions I've caused.

(There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count and those who can't.)

• 1 month later...

Has anyone gone for a rear Boxster brake swap too?  I’ve committed and got parts to do front Boxster calipers and turbo master cylinder. I figured I might as well refurb the rear 3.2 calipers, but actually would I be better off swapping out the rear calipers too. 

Thoughts? 

Rears are good enough and with rear bias valve removed the front/rear balance is correct. I'm sure you could save a few 100 grams with different rear callipers but is it worth it? 

28 minutes ago, Chris T said:

Rears are good enough and with rear bias valve removed the front/rear balance is correct.

+1

Also, the Boxster rears are designed for narrower disks (20mm like an SC disk, rather than 24mm like a 3.2) and you have to hog-out the four pad retaining pins to get them to fit 3.2 disks.

Additionally, the adaptors put them at a strange angle with the bleed valve too low.  You have to partially disconnect and rotate them when you want to bleed the system to get the bleed valve high enough to get all the air out. As per the pic I stole from somewhere.

CaliperAdapter_Rotated.jpg.b875b63c67d11ef0b843e2c7a020cefe.jpg

Mark

Edited by SilverWT

Ok so I managed to buy a set of front and rear calipers - also got new discs and pads. do the discs fit as well or?

was a package deal got it quite cheap, 250 quid or so for 4 calipers and new discs and pads..

8 minutes ago, axel said:

Ok so I managed to buy a set of front and rear calipers - also got new discs and pads. do the discs fit as well or?

was a package deal got it quite cheap, 250 quid or so for 4 calipers and new discs and pads..

Brilliant, well done! 

Going back to the front Boxster caliper install, I would like to keep the brake disc backing plates for that OEM look.

I'm going to need new backing plates anyway and, rather than cutting up a new set, I was wondering if it would be possible to use the backing plates from a Turbo/Supersport instead, which are already pre-cut for the larger turbo calipers :

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/49391

Anyone know if the above backing plates are a direct fit for the standard SC/Carrera backing plates...or do I need to get the Dremel out?