Esso and Ethanol

It seems Esso is ending the supply of zero ethanol petrol this years (borrowed from ddk)

https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels#:~:text=We currently supply,%2B 99 unleaded.

“We currently supply an ethanol-free Synergy Supreme+ 99 unleaded in some parts of the UK. From September 2023 our Synergy Supreme+ 99 will transition to contain up to a maximum of 5% ethanol at all Esso pumps irrespective of which part of the country they are located. The labelling at our pumps will remain as E5 for Synergy Supreme+ 99 unleaded."

yes saw this on another car forum, not impressed. 

Also not impressed that super unleaded is still 1.65 per litre at every garage no matter if their regular unleaded has gone down to 1.42 etc. Blatant rip off and a sure sign of future car management by the gov, they'll try and price us off the roads if they cant force us into EV. 🤧

• Like 1

Filled my daily yesterday at Costco with Super E5 @ £140.99/litre. If they can afford to sell that cheaply why is everybody else so expensive? I try to ONLY buy from the cheapest in the area, a one-man mission to force prices down.... 

There seem to be a number of different approaches to this, one of which involves burying the head in the ground!  Ask Fraser for his thoughts.  I think that changing the fuel lines for modern equivalents is the best version and then using an additive to negate the effects of the ethanol on other components in the system.  Ethanol doesn’t just affect rubber hoses apparently.  Other views are available

15 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

There seem to be a number of different approaches to this, one of which involves burying the head in the ground!  Ask Fraser for his thoughts.  I think that changing the fuel lines for modern equivalents is the best version and then using an additive to negate the effects of the ethanol on other components in the system.  Ethanol doesn’t just affect rubber hoses apparently.  Other views are available

Yes Ian, this has been a niggling worry since poor Fraser's 'event'!  I'm going to replace my lines this winter....from reading the experiences of others, am I right in thinking it's unnecessary to change the hard lines through the chassis and it's the flexis (tank to hard lines, hard lines to engine, and obviously the engine lines themselves) that need the upgrade? I'd prefer to use Porsche stuff but not sure if some bits are NLA and not even sure they've upgraded the tubing for ethanol fuel - I asked my local parts at OPC and got a less than definitive answer. If you do have to shop elsewhere for some of the parts was the general consensus Griffiths or Paul Mason from the States?

Bob

I just removed the old rubber lines from the hard in-tunnel pipes (carefully dremel off the outer sleeves in the hard line to rubber joints) and replaced with more modern stuff.  Simples.

I think there are a few ways to approach this.  I don’t know how many pipes are available from Porsche but it seems safe to assume that they will be ethanol resistant.  There are people who supply full kits for our cars, mostly in the US.  They’re not cheap.  The other way is to have a set made by a hose company.  I had one made by a company in Leicester and it was very reasonably priced.  I’ve got a set of old SC pipes that I am happy to lend out for copies to be made if anyone wants to try that route.  I think Chris Tarling may have his old 3.2 set?

Thanks Ian, I'll see how much the Porsche tax is first - and more importantly which bits they don't do. It's a winter project ....well it is for my local independent anyway!

E5 (as in UP TO E5) is fine I was told, but I use an 'ethanol stripper' additive which hopefully helps.

For road trippers,  just got back from Pyrenees and Picos where in some garages the SP95 is E5 and SP98 is E10 (guess they use the ethanol to boost the octane of the E5), so had to drop down to SP95 once or twice. You can still get E0 in Germany at some stations, and SP98 is still E5 in France (like UK).

I guess we are lucky in Czech we have ethanol free 100 octane OMV and Shell ....

Or you can just use lacquer thinner Toluene.When i lived in LA -CA...i used to go and buy one gallon half of it and half a tank of fuel ..I`d call it sweet sauce..it is amazing how it works.It has been used for racing purposes too.

here

Toluene is produced in the manufacturing of gasoline, and it is also a gasoline additive that can be used to improve octane ratings for fuel used in race cars and other automobiles. The higher the octane number or rating, the greater the fuel's resistance to knocking or pinging during combustion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That’s what I use and have done for a while.  Ensure you buy the 500ml bottles not the smaller ones.  The 500ml bottle will treat 500 litres of fuel.  The smaller bottle is a different solution and only treats 50 litres.  According to Millers the smaller bottle was brought out for people who apparently don’t like having to calculate/measure a shot for a fill up at a petrol station, they requested a one shot bottle.  It’s a very expensive way of achieving the protection.

I too use this and have done for several years.

I have no idea whether it does any good - mostly a question of it must be better than FA.

Frankly I think all additives are snake oil in various forms!!

Now in Ireland we can only buy 95 E10;so have staring  filling 7x 20 litre Jerry cans with 98 E5 when travelling in daily driver Range Rover to Ulster, UK etc.

c