Speedometer /Milometer fix

Ant7

Hi All,

Just finished the repairs to the dreaded milometer issue on my 1985 3.2,  which I am sure many will have experienced as these cars age, and things start breaking down, especially certain types of plastic used in various parts of their construction.

First; removing the speedo from the dash, Without first going on line for possible videos that explaind the process, [that’ll teach me]  I started looking inside the front boot area under the dashboard for any signs of clips or fixings that may be holding the clocks in, but alas I quickly found out that there aren’t any, the clocks are just held in the dash by the rubber grommets fitted around the outside of the clock body!

After some pulling, and twisting motion, the speedometer finally loosened, and I was able to pull it out of the dash just enough to remove all of the wires, and bulb holders from the rear [make sure you pry up the whole metal body of the bulb holder, and not just the orange plastic part, use a blunt knife or blade etc.]

Make sure you make a note of all the wires and bulb holder positions  etc.

Once on the bench, I set about un-crimping the clock facia using various sizes of flat blade screwdrivers, it takes a bit of time and patience, but once you realise what needs to be done, the facia will eventually loosen enough to be able to be pry it off.

Once the facia and glass [acrylic] had been removed, I gently turned the speedo needle back and fore through its stops at each end of its travel while gently pulling upwards, until eventually the needle was free, and I could remove it.

Next, I removed the two black screws holding the dial in place and removed it.

Under the dial and on top of the milometer part of the mechanism are four screws, one has a shaped metal plate under it, make sure you make a note of this and where it came from etc.

Once the four screws have been removed, the mechanism can be pulled out enough to see the two wires attached by a sort of yellow glue to the mechanism, these wires are for the speedo needle motor, and can be carefully pushed away from the mechanism, keeping the wires and the glue attached, it should be easy to see how they go back into the position they were in when you come to put the mechanism back together.

Once you have removed the milometer part of the speedo, you will see the three gears that operate the mechanism, and more importantly, the one that usually fails, as it will have some teeth missing!

To remove the damaged gear, you must first remove the white gear that engages with the milometer wheels, it is secured in place by a metal pin that can be easily pushed out with a large pin or something similar.

Once this gear has been removed, the other two gears including the damaged one can be removed by removing the C clips, be very careful not to lose these when you pry them off [ I learnt the hard way, and spent the best part of an hour searching for one, eventually finding it quite away from where I was sure it had gone]

Once the gears had been removed, I inspected and cleaned the shafts in particular; the one the damaged gear came from, there was quite a bit of sticky residue left from the bad gear, which was obviously made of a different type of material to the others which were fine.

Once the shafts were cleaned and the gears re-assembled, it was just a relatively simple case of putting everything back together, being careful to make sure the two wires previously mentioned went back into place correctly before placing the milometer mechanism back on top, re-fitting the four screws and plate etc, then placing the lightly cleaned dial back on, and refitting the two black retaining screws. Next carefully placing and lining up the speedo needle, and pushing gently but firmly into place.  Finally I gave the glass and bezel a good clean, before reassembling and re-crimping the facia back onto the speedometer.

Refitting the clock back into the dash was quite straight forward, and with a quick test drive later, I am glad to say all is fine.

I hope my ramblings help those who may have this issue in the future.

Good luck.

Ant.

Dial Removed.JPG

First look.JPG

Wires.JPG

Old New.JPG

Close up.JPG

All three.JPG

Back together.JPG

Edited by Ant7
  • Like 1

Good job and write up,   

I replaced my gears last year,  took pictures at each stage,  fiddly but easily doable as long as you take your time.   Putting the speedo needle back at the right angle so it read the correct speed took a couple of goes.

13 hours ago, strosek34 said:

Good job and write up,   

I replaced my gears last year,  took pictures at each stage,  fiddly but easily doable as long as you take your time.   Putting the speedo needle back at the right angle so it read the correct speed took a couple of goes.

Hi Steve,

Cheers,

I  just wanted to show how straight forward it is, when you don't take out the whole guts of the thing, its the bottom part of the mechanism with all the wires and motors etc that seem to cause the most problems when some folk have attempted this job.

Ant