£425K?

sopor

I could be wrong (I'm sure a few Indies told me this) but plates LSD's are better than Torque LSD's for an IB particularly for deceleration dynamics - over to the experts 🤔

Edited by Beaky

Slight side track... interesting (puzzling?) to see how many companies are getting into the F/G body 911 shifter market. I think Wevo and J West were the early ones but now there's Rennline, CAE and Numeric as well. Not convinced Wevo or J West have left much room for improvement, expect perhaps for their marketing.

I wonder what Rolex themselves might make of that tach...

Edited by sopor

2 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

Seems a lot for what it is.  Only 248bhp, which is tiny compared to what the competition achieves and why does it sayRolex on the Rev counter?

It say over 300 bhp in the full description, so must be a typo in the items specifics 

1 hour ago, Beaky said:

I could be wrong (I'm sure in Indies told me this) but plates LSD's are better than Torque LSD's for an IB particularly for deceleration dynamics - over to the experts 🤔

Hope you're right as I had a Kaaz fitted with a 915 refresh

15 hours ago, Beaky said:

I could be wrong (I'm sure a few Indies told me this) but plates LSD's are better than Torque LSD's for an IB particularly for deceleration dynamics - over to the experts 🤔

ATB type differentials provide forward drive if both wheels have contact with firm ground. Good for traction away from standing start and still allow for a bit of showboating on roundabouts and hairpin bends. However they don't provide any 'limited slip' function on a closed throttle. They are more refined and in normal use its difficult to detect that an ATB type unit is fitted. If you bounce off a kerb or a wheel parts company with the road it behaves like an open diff.

The pro ATB type followers will argue that the plate type LSD's will increase the amount of understeer and the plate chatter / chunter is not a great sound for a 911. ATB's are generally more reliable with fewer parts requiring service or set up.

Plate type LSD's are set with 2 ramp angles - positive throttle & closed throttle. Generally a 911 is set with increased 'LSD function' on a closed throttle with the argument that a rear engine car isn't short of traction and restricting the differential on a closed throttle keeps things pointing in the in right direction on a closed throttle.  On a damp track when you run out of tallent you can feel a plate diff pulling the rear of the car back in-line. 

To make good progress they do require a change to regular driving habits. 

Despite the reputation that all 911's go backwards through hedges as soon as it rains my personal experience is very different with a well set up plate type differential IB's are very benign.

If you have a track focussed LSD they can snatch a bit on the road causing the drive shafts to click.

As the gearbox and diff share the same oil the use of LSD additives is not recommended.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leicestershire said:

However they don't provide any 'limited slip' function on a closed throttle.

True, unless they are a hybrid I.e.  Wavetrac.

Behave like an ATB most of the time, but also meshing wave shaped gears that come into play when one axle approaches zero load.

I have had one in my 3.2 for some years now. It can be felt locking on hard braking and deceleration on track. The one drawback is it is not very progressive, going quickly to locked when accelerating vigorously in the wet. You just have to be  aware and react quickly!

www.wavetrac.net/technical.htm

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Wingnonut said:

Saw the Rennsport one on a traders stand at the NEC at the weekend. Fit and finish was not £400k worth 🥴

One of the RPOC members owns a really nice Rennsport, even he says they are not a £400k car, but he did say the support from them when needed has been excellent.

Prices of the Singer, Theon, etc. are just bonkers, but it seems people are still willing to pay!

The bad side effect is that finding a good 964 is becoming increasingly difficult:mellow:

This Theon would have cost a lot more than the £175k it recently resold for when the donor car is taken into the equation. 

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1989-porsche-911-theon-design

The Singers seem to be the only of the Restomods that seem to have appreciated post build….I would wager a lot of that is due to a quality product coupled with a very effective brand positioning. 

I have only sold my 912 , which was break even maybe even a slight loss. this car will probably be sold with a loss too, i build em right , not to flip. 

you are right, I enjoy building em. but not as opposed to driving, I have a 930 in my garage I ride hard and put away wet 😜 

On 14/11/2023 at 21:07, hmg said:

This Theon would have cost a lot more than the £175k it recently resold for when the donor car is taken into the equation. 

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1989-porsche-911-theon-design

The Singers seem to be the only of the Restomods that seem to have appreciated post build….I would wager a lot of that is due to a quality product coupled with a very effective brand positioning. 

Not in this case - the Theon in the ad is the very first one (I know the owner).  At the time they were positioned around about £150k for a finished car.  Nowadays their builds are higher spec and price point. 

Edited by Jonny Hart
  • Like 1

the current theons are more like 400 arent they? 

beautiful car all the same and a snip at that price. I see it has AT Power ITBs, shaftless. same as I got in my 2.8 RSR tribute