Jump to content

New owner


elan

Recommended Posts

Hello All, I have always wanted an air cooled 911 and made a spontaneous purchase two weeks ago. It’s 1985 Carrera 3.2 Targa. It’s a rolling project and useable but needs a few items addressed. 

I am hoping to get the bodywork sorted soon including addressing some rust so any recommendations around London/Herts/Essex area would be great.

The speedo also needs to be repaired, I have purchased the plastic cog but not sure if I should tackle it myself?

I am looking to get advice and pick your knowledge as it’s my first air cooled car. I have a couple of other toys including 997s and 996.

Thanks, Elan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well done on your purchase Elan. I too took the plunge last year with a 3.0 SC project and I've never looked back. The chaps on here are really friendly and have lots of knowledge to help along the way. 

Hope to see some pictures real soon 😀

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. i will upload some pics shortly.

The first job completed is a major service including valve clearance.

I have already started collecting parts for the car! Is there a website people use for parts or is it main dealers? 

Need to find a pair of 8” or 9” Fuchs for rear too!
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, elan said:

Thanks guys. i will upload some pics shortly.

The first job completed is a major service including valve clearance.

I have already started collecting parts for the car! Is there a website people use for parts or is it main dealers? 

Need to find a pair of 8” or 9” Fuchs for rear too!
 

Matt is yer man 

Quote

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd also say speak to Nick at Dunmow Coachworks or Peter at Langley Autocraft for bodywork

10 hours ago, elan said:

Need to find a pair of 8” or 9” Fuchs for rear too!
 

You maybe better off with 8" as there is a wider tyre selection. You can order new Fuch's directly from the manufactureer, I and few others on here have. In real terms not that much more than used ones whos history/age will be unknown, and you are getting new one, 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another vote for Matt at type 911 for all your parts.

Other resources from my experience

Poeton in Gloucester area for cylinders nikasil treatment

Fiennes for  hardcore engineering work

Headshop in Warrington for general machining and heads, excellent

Classiccar Automotive in Alderly Edge for brake calliper refirb,   fantastic service and result

Greatworth Classics, Hamish for Cooling Fan and Shroud refirb.....proper job

Classic Retrofit, Johnny the owner is a legend and the products are top level

Mike Bainbridge for gearboxes......not currently operating but we keep our fingers crossed

Southbound for interior stuff, no personal experience but reputation is top

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Gezzer said:

Another vote for Matt at type 911 for all your parts.

Other resources from my experience

Poeton in Gloucester area for cylinders nikasil treatment

Fiennes for  hardcore engineering work

Headshop in Warrington for general machining and heads, excellent

Classiccar Automotive in Alderly Edge for brake calliper refirb,   fantastic service and result

Greatworth Classics, Hamish for Cooling Fan and Shroud refirb.....proper job

Classic Retrofit, Johnny the owner is a legend and the products are top level

Mike Bainbridge for gearboxes......not currently operating but we keep our fingers crossed

Southbound for interior stuff, no personal experience but reputation is top

 

+1 for all of the above, especially Matt, he's a diamond geezer!

SS

Edited by SurlySurdi
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That’s a lot of useful info, thank you.

I have already bought items from Type911 for my 997 Turbo and 996 C4S. Also recently purchased a genuine key from eBay for this Targa which turned out to be from Type911(as car came with aftermarket key).  Great service so far.
 

Already thinking about how far I want to go with restoration. I will get advice from the Bodyshop from but ideally I want to replace all the rubber trims and replace/upgrade the suspension. Maybe other areas to consider too?

Any recommendation on fuel tank replacement please? Are aftermarket decent?

I am hoping to have have the work done over winter ready for next summer, maybe too optimistic 😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, elan said:

That’s a lot of useful info, thank you.

I have already bought items from Type911 for my 997 Turbo and 996 C4S. Also recently purchased a genuine key from eBay for this Targa which turned out to be from Type911(as car came with aftermarket key).  Great service so far.
 

Already thinking about how far I want to go with restoration. I will get advice from the Bodyshop from but ideally I want to replace all the rubber trims and replace/upgrade the suspension. Maybe other areas to consider too?

Any recommendation on fuel tank replacement please? Are aftermarket decent?

I am hoping to have have the work done over winter ready for next summer, maybe too optimistic 😊

Check out my restoration thread, it's a good example of where these car's go. I think now DANSK have included the inbuilt filter, they are as good as genuine, but why are you changing does it leak or is it particular rusty?

Pics are helpful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/11/2023 at 18:28, elan said:

Hello All, I have always wanted an air cooled 911 and made a spontaneous purchase two weeks ago. It’s 1985 Carrera 3.2 Targa. It’s a rolling project and useable but needs a few items addressed. 

I am hoping to get the bodywork sorted soon including addressing some rust so any recommendations around London/Herts/Essex area would be great.

The speedo also needs to be repaired, I have purchased the plastic cog but not sure if I should tackle it myself?

I am looking to get advice and pick your knowledge as it’s my first air cooled car. I have a couple of other toys including 997s and 996.

Thanks, Elan

Welcome, 

I did my speedo a few weeks ago, see link below, hope it helps.

 

Edited by Ant7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...