Light weight options for 89 3.2

We have just bought a 3.2 coupe 89 that needs a bit of bodywork, however thinking we keep it original.

Any suggestions how we can get a bit of weight out of it, can anyone recommend fibreglass bumpers for example?

Keeping it original, or original looking?

Biggest, easiest and reversible weight saving is probably changing the seats. As it's an '89 I'm assuming it's got the very heavy electric seats.

For some background research, have a look at the "Church of the Lightweight" thread.

The other big question is, what is your tolerance to noise and harshness?

Mark

1 hour ago, SilverWT said:

Biggest, easiest and reversible weight saving is probably changing the seats. As it's an '89 I'm assuming it's got the very heavy electric seats.

This, my original electric leather seats were if memories serves right about 27kg, the Recaro Pole Position I replaced then with 7kg!

Bumperettes delete at the back is a subtle change from original - I purchased a spare bumper so Its easy to revert back. 

There's a complete thread on taking weight out of your car, can be pricy depending on how far you want to go., also most fibreglass pael need a fair bit of modification.

I was down at Sportswagen last week, they said they have never come across a panels that didn't need a far bit of work to make it look respectable

• 2 weeks later...