Porsche 911 / 930 Valve Cover gasket of choice ?

carrpet

Hi All,

There appear to be a number of options for gaskets

Standard gasket without a silicone bead
Standard gasket with a silicone bead (lower only)
100% Silicone from USA which are claimed to be re-usable
Graphite which are claimed to be reusable

I understand the Porsche Original are standard gasket material with a silicone bead (lower only).

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Peter

I see the lower gasket with the silicone bead are available from Type 911. MobyDick reported using these successfully after valve adjustment.

57 minutes ago, andybro said:

I ordered the ones with the silicone bead on saturday from Type911. Fingers crossed they are good.

Good choice I think. The issue with the 100% silicone ones appears to be having the confidence to use so little torque to tighten them down !

I would always use the ones with the silicon bead on, belts and braces!

Porsche just supply standard ones but do now recommend Loctite SI 5920 which is a silicon copper sealant, never heard of anyone using it mind!

1 minute ago, Type911 said:

I would always use the ones with the silicon bead on, belts and braces!

Porsche just supply standard ones but do now recommend Loctite SI 5920 which is a silicon copper sealant, never heard of anyone using it mind!

Thanks that is one of my questions answered about standard lower gaskets. Much appreciated! Order in the post !

• Like 1

Great input thanks. Will take a look. Had heard of these but never seen them

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished doing my valve clearances. The gaskets fitted previously were the same silicon bead ones I had bought to replace. Good thing is that I had zero leaks with these, so hoping I have the same this time round.

Carrpet, the kirk tool will be in the post to you tomorrow. I had great success with the tool, easy to use and felt confident that clearances are good. So much easier than trying to use a feeler gauge 😀