A Bit of a Surprise

Gearbox oil change yesterday as part of annual ‘service’ and MOT. 

As the oil was drained there was an issue unexpected extra:

image.thumb.jpg.4272c951e97b666b5c682d1b0e812979.jpg

Was this actually in the bottom of the gearbox? Instinct says no, however the chuff/rattle at idle has disappeared, so maybe it has just been lying there and fortunately not done any damage.

My recollection is that the gearbox oil has not been changed in my 11 years of ownership.

Thoughts…

Looks more like an exhaust manifold stud to me, although the non threaded part is usually longer.

What size is it?  Assuming it was inside the gearbox casing I can't imagine it ever finding its way out of the drain plug.  It would have to come out near vertical.

More than likely flopped off something else, like the top side of the heat exchanger and into the drain bucket from somewhere else.  Or it was already in the drain bucket.

Edited by Nige

1 hour ago, Nige said:

Looks more like an exhaust manifold stud to me, although the non threaded part is usually longer.

What size is it?  Assuming it was inside the gearbox casing I can't imagine it ever finding its way out of the drain plug.  It would have to come out near vertical.

More than likely flopped off something else, like the top side of the heat exchanger and into the drain bucket from somewhere else.  Or it was already in the drain bucket.

The bottom drain plug does have a magnet in it...............................................still one hell of a lot of luck to get it out though!

I’ll say out loud what other are thinking, that was already in the bucket.

Reminds me of Ian’s washer :whistling:

Edited by Phill

Thoughts…

I’m thinking, why has it taken 11 years to change the gearbox oil. 😀

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tea boy said:

Thoughts…

:signs71:

i would say you are lucky..this studs was placed into the trans.by somebody.It did not get there any other way.Have seen it before by as...le mechanic who got pissed on the client...all this could have been before your time..with your 911.

back in LA i did found in the trans. part of the valve spring from the engine---

Ivan

On 20/03/2024 at 18:15, tea boy said:

Thoughts…

TB, I have only done 14,000 miles in that time, with no issues. I think that’s more than some on here.
Car has done 75,000 miles in total and still on the original clutch…

17 hours ago, proporsche said:

i would say you are lucky..this studs was placed into the trans.by somebody.It did not get there any other way.Have seen it before by as...le mechanic who got pissed on the client...all this could have been before your time..with your 911.

Ivan

Thanks Ivan for confirming the possibility that it did come from the gearbox. I couldn’t see how it could have dropped off another part of the engine just at the point that the gearbox was drained.

If you are still on the original clutch then what reason is there for the gearbox to have been out? Is there anything in the history that suggests it would have been. Certainly wouldn’t need a rebuild within 75k. Unless it was put in there at the factory that bolt didn’t come out of the gearbox. (IMHO)