1982 SC - rebuild stock konis or new or..

car has only done 60.000 miles, they look mint but are probably the original ones...

what should I do for a pure road car? have em sent to a Koni UK centre for rebuild , new inserts.. something else? bilstein inserts?

thanks!

Koni struts on an SC?

Posted (edited)

I had Koni adjustables on my SC when I bought it.  I actually quite liked the ride on them, but I was young and foolish and had them wound up to full hard setting (ooh errr).  Nowadays, I wouldn’t go too hard on a road car. 

Edited by Northy

possibly Boge struts sorry. 

More than likely, Bilstein standard sport are probably the most used

ok need the inserts for boge struts front then 

I think the standard shocks are a lot better than the bilstein sports.

I'd like to try Tractive or the Tuthill ones (I forget the manufacturer) but can't justify the expense.

On 14/05/2024 at 08:07, Scumfrog said:

I'd like to try Tractive or the Tuthill ones (I forget the manufacturer) but can't justify the expense.

EXE-TC - https://www.exe-tc.co.uk/

They are on another level.

I have Konis on my (sleeping) car and they are great. No complaints.

I've always wanted to try these as EXE-TC are quite local to me when in UK....have you ever driven a 3.2 (or SC) with them fitted @johndglynn ? Apart from the price the main thing I worry about is losing something intrinsic to the G series feel by having a modern set up.

Yes, several cars of all ages and engine sizes. They are a high end product that someone obsessed with dynamics and capable of sensing subtleties would really appreciate (eg: Richard Tuthill). for people like me who are not so sensitive they are nice but not essential.

The difference I noticed quite quickly is over a series of bumps the front doesn't get as overwhelmed as it can do especially on a light tank and the rear is a bit happier under hard cornering when loaded but I am no expert. 99% of the time and at the speeds I drive at the Konis are perfect. When you sit alongside Richard in a car with them fitted, and he drives at his speeds, it is a different matter as 'standard' dampers get overwhelmed everywhere. On country roads local to us at speed, the EXE-TC dampers are mega.

Thanks John for the summary, they seem great. I'm just comparing to the TracTive setup that Chris Franklin's put on his stripped out 3.2. Although I'm lucky enough to drive in the Alps a lot, still not sure my ability is up to it. Decisions decisions...and then @Beaky makes it worse by tempting me with ITBs!

• Like 1

I'd like to try out the tractive, playing with the buttons and trying different settings on the fly and all that new toy stuff.  But that probably doesn't outweigh the 'more things to go wrong' risk factor; and if the EXEs perform as well, that's a no brainer. I called them a while ago and they reckon their newer model performs better than those they developed with Tuthill a few years ago due to a lower stiction material. Not sure if it's out yet.

Do the Konis only come in 'sports' guise? How do they compare to the Bilstein sports? Significantly better, I'd hope.

interesting discussion guys - keep the feedback comin!

is there anyone who can rebuild the orginal konis?