Which oil to top up?

Guest VEG

Been looking through the service history and it doesnt say what oil has been used in the oil changes. So what oil will be safe to use to top up the oil level ?

how long has it been since last oil change. Maybe an opportunity to have a complete change and go for the oil that you are going to use going forward.

Im not sure what happens when you mix oils. I would imagine its fine for a top up. Perhaps use a good quality mineral oil, or semi synthetic

Top up with whatever you want to use going forward, it's not brake fluid and will all mix in.

Can you ring the servicers and find out what they stuck in it? No Castrol GTX stickers or similar on the door slams/boot slam/air filter housing?

edit: LOL Pete ;)

Probably not too much of a danger but I would avoid running the car for an extended period on "mixed" oils. Some of the cheaper synthetics (badged as such but not true synthetic) or semi-synthetics are packed full of additives and modifiers and there is a small chance of incompatability leading to problems.

German and Swedish are doing 5 litre packs of Fuchs Titan 10W40 semi-synth for about £10.70 (incredible price for a good oil) I think. Two of those and a litre or two for top up and you'll be fine.

Change for peace of mind if nothing else .............