3.2 Owners say Hello

porkersc

ye i thought i had better do a search before i asked the "question" :)

Good man. And try to keep away from the flat lid society otherwise Gary will have to get his chart out again and none of us wants that. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
hi all,

tried posting in the main area first but no luck.

Anyway, just joined a week or so ago, recently purchased my first 3.2 [had two SC's previous] just wanted to say hello.

Ant.

Hi Ant - welcome to impactbumpers! :) would be great to see some pictures of your 3.2.

• 1 month later...
Hi Ant - welcome to impactbumpers! :) would be great to see some pictures of your 3.2.

Hi All,

I am a freshman here...having just bought my first 3.2 Targa!! Very excited and am enjoying the experience. I have previously owned a 1973 2.4E Targa, so the 1985 Targa is very much an upgrade. It feels very different to the 1973 car, although on first viewing it looked very much the same.

The additional electrics help make the car much more usable, and I have been up to yorkshire from Bristol several times already without a hitch, long may it continue.

The car seems very solid, but I have made a bit of a spend since buying. New Stainless Dansk exhaust, new rear heater vents, as the old ones were rusted through and didn't work at all. New front fan kit, to help blow the warm air through the car. A couple of new oil pipes and and some rear shocks, as the old ones were looking a bit shabby and were leaking.

Next on the list once the wallet has caught its breath, will be a slight refurb on the Targa roof, as the headlining is drooping, and also on the look out for some 16's as I'm running 15's. The 15's are in amazing condition, but think that the 16's give it a strong stance. Also thinking of buying the new Porsche Classic Radio, and have put a post on the forum to see if anyone has bought one and maybe has an opinion on whether its worth making the spend.

Anyway, hello all, and I'll keep you posted on how things develop.

Jason

post-5674-1320015043_thumb.jpg

post-5674-1320015080_thumb.jpg

post-5674-1320015123_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Just registered on IB and thought i'd say hi

Had my 3.2 for 14 years and still love it

LHD 1989 model, one of the very last 3.2 cars

Coupe, factory sunroof and limited slip diff, black leather interior

post-5731-1320825069_thumb.jpg

:signs122:

Nice car threepoint2, must have done a fair bit of work on her in those 14 years, spill the beans.

Thanks for the comment. Looks like we have a similar spec. '89 LHD

When I bought it from its German engineer owner in 1997 it was in immaculate condition. He'd fitted a front strut brace, a s/steel sports exhaust (maybe DP Motorsports) and lowered it, and also fitted a new CD player but kept the original Blaupunkt radio/cassette with the car

In all that time i've only ever serviced it and not changed a thing, and its spent 14 years in a car store, being driven on dry weekends and summer holidays, cleaned and polished religiously, and so it's led a rather pampered life out of the rain and salted winter roads

The only thing to ever go wrong in all that time was an alternator failure and the sunroof needing a small part replacement, so it's been incredibly reliable. It had a front end respray 3 years ago which sorted out the stone chips and a bit of rust bubbling under one of the lights. The rest of the bodywork is in great condition

At 80,000 miles it has just had a top end engine rebuild by Jaz Porsche in Wembley, as 3 cylinder head studs had broken. Jaz stripped the engine down and I was pleased to hear that the pistons and barrels were in very good condition. I hadn't realised that it was an American spec. 'catalyser' engine - catalytic converter and lower compression for the USA, Swiss, Swedish markets, so Jaz took the cat off and have uprated the compression to slightly higher than standard. From the chassis no. it's about the 30th from last 3.2 Carrera, so either Porsche sold it in Germany from their last available stock, or it might have been sold into Switzerland and come back into Germany before I bought it. I also found that it was delivered new with a Porsche limited slip differential, which was a rare factory option according to Jaz, and it was still on its original clutch, which has been replaced whilst the engine was out. It was also supplied with a front sports spoiler and rear whale tail, but the whale tail was replaced with a flat lid some time before I bought it

All the engine tinware and fixings have been re-plated / re-painted / replaced on the engine, and so the engine bay looks brand new. I've just run the engine in and it's having the oil / filter change, and at the same time i'm having Bilstein rear shocks fitted, after Jaz adjusted the suspension and geometry recently to see how it felt before adding the Bilsteins

I've just received some new floor carpets from Southbound Trimmers, and am having the rear bumper and valance re-painted to sort out some stone chips and cracking due to heat from the exhaust

So, it's had a fair bit of money spent on it in the last few weeks, but it feels and drives like new now and will keep me happy for another 14 years and beyond, as it's a car I can't see myself ever parting with

• 6 months later...

Thought i would say hello. I have had my 84 3.2 for 3 months now, i had owned a couple of Boxster's in the past (not sure if that is a dirty word on this site!) but they don't come close to 3.2 ownership. Mine was registered in Feb 84 by a London dealer and had one private owner from November that year until i purchased it. The car has covered 85k and has an extensive service history. It requires some attention around the slam panels/sills and sunroof drain by front wings but apart from that all looks good (fingers crossed!), the car is booked in with Vormotor in Halstead (Nick Bentley Automotive).

I will post some pictures of the old girl soon.

post-6189-1338306073_thumb.jpgThank you, call me Spencer!! I have attached a photo, not a great one though!

Welcome Spencer, which silver is it?

1984 A reg 3.2s are the best, especially if its Zinnmetalic :whistling:

Mark

Hi Mark, Well on the bill of sale from the original dealer they state the colour as Zinc. You don't see many silver ones about, my personal favourite on a 911.

So we may have what was a matching pair, did yours have a blue interior? Mine was registered 13/06/84.

If you look at the underside of your front bonnet there should be an options code sticker which includes the body colour. Zinnmetallic is code L956, more common on an SCs than 3.2s and is actually a VW colour.

There should also be a paint code sticker on the offside inner front wing, under the carpet next to the VIN plates....

DSCN2349.jpg

Zinc is a mistranslation, in German it is Tin, or sometimes used for Pewter (an alloy of around 90% tin). It is a bit hot wearing an anorak today :rolleyes:

Mark

Hi Mark,

My bonnet sticker is missing, but i will pull carpet back and have a look by O/S FW. I do have the blue interior so chances are we have a matching pair! I need to check the carpet code as i want to order a couple of door bins as mine like many are warped, i have been told to use Southbound Trimmers.

Wingnonut, yes it was the car from Coys March auction, did you go to view it?

Hi Mark,

My bonnet sticker is missing, but i will pull carpet back and have a look by O/S FW. I do have the blue interior so chances are we have a matching pair! I need to check the carpet code as i want to order a couple of door bins as mine like many are warped, i have been told to use Southbound Trimmers.

Spoke to Coys and they sent be additional photos. I got a bit scared by the rust so never went to view. If the rust can be dealt with it will be a cracking car with incredible history (which is what drew me to it). And the colour is :wub:

Would love to see it in the flesh one day. Congratulations :signs118: