Another topend rebuild

Got a week off so I have started my topend rebuild, long afternoon and engine and box are out. I know Harveys are well regarded for gearbox work, do they do engine work as well? As I think I will be needing some work doing on the heads. Worse part of getting the lump out was getting the car high enough up in the air to drag the engine out. Will start pulling it apart tomorrow. Will add some pictures as well. Baz

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got a week off so I have started my topend rebuild, long afternoon and engine and box are out. I know Harveys are well regarded for gearbox work, do they do engine work as well?

Yes mate, Neil did Bruce's recent rebuild and is doing Carlo's IIRC.

Good job, go for it ;)

Trick I used to do on my beetles and recently the 911 was for that extra few inch clearance was a piece of 2x4 or bigger, about 3 foot long across the chassis tub just forward of the rear axle tub. Trolley jack the car up there and you can add nearly another 6-7 inches in lift. Once the engine is cleared lower it back onto the axle stands. Obviously you need to trolley jack as I guess the other one is still under the engine.

To lift the car I used a chain block on the bumper irons from a beam of the garage roof.

End of day 3 heads are off, barrels are ready to come off. Is the best way to get the heads off of the cam carriers by backing the tappets right off and then taking the rocker arms out, I have taken the heads off in blocks of 3. When putting the shafts back in through the rocker arms and doing the cap heads up with the tappered caps will the shafts find their own position?

The heads will be going to someone to sort out the exhaust studs, a couple might need inserts putting in. If I went twin plug as well as machining the heads for the second plug thread and taking some fins out of the way what has to be done to the rocker covers to get the second HT lead in?

All of the head studs are OK, so do I replace or not?

A lot of oilly gunge on the pistons and heads to clean off not bad for carbon.

Whoever said the Germans have not got a sense of has not taken an inlet manifold off of an SC engine.

Day off today to keep SWMBO happy. Baz

Had half a day on it today, all of the heads are stripped, looks like it needs new valve guides fair bit of play on them all. Valves are dirty but not badly pitted should go again with the faces and seats cut. The barrels on mine are Mahle and look good, pistons will be cleaned and new rings fitted. Head studs are all OK, what is the price to replace and where from? Flywheel needs refacing and clutch needs replacing. Engine mounted oil cooler cant have been doing much as it was full of crud. Tomorrow all of the bits are going into boxes to make some space then sort out getting some of the machining done.

Baz

If it was me, I would definitely change the head studs while it's apart. Put 993 ones in, IIRC they are about £20 each. I seem to remember Tuthills saying they'd not heard of any breaking before, which is about as good an endorsement as you'll get.

Started getting some prices together for bits I need, do these sound about right.

Top end gasket set. £150

Bottom gasket set £39

Piston rings per piston £14.96

These are all from a local auto spares and are trade with no VAT.

Same supplier tried to get me a Sachs clutch but said he could not buy direct from Sachs so put me onto Competition Braking who quoted me £630.01 plus VAT.

Any tips for where to get chain ramps, oil return tubes and head bolts.

Not really touched the engine for a couple of days, work getting in the way, cleaned up and tidied up the garage.

Are the pistons easy to get off? Is it just a matter of getting the clips out from the holes in the pistons that hold the gudgeon pins. Regards Baz

Baz,

Prices look good, at least for rings & gaskets, but are these OEM as this makes a difference? Try looking at Eurocarparts as they will stock a lot of what you'll need & in many cases offer a "genuine" option, although a bit dearer. At the very least it will provide an easy (& competitive) reference. Don't discount your OPC/Tripe as some parts are surprisingly affordable.

David

All of the parts from the top end of the engine have been in the cleaning tank so are much easier to handle and see now. Looks like new valve guides, valves and seats to be cut and shimed, new piston rings and a set of head studs.

What is the best way to get the old head studs out, heat on the crankcase or plusgas and a quick prayer?

One more really silly question how does the alternator come out of the fan housing, I have undone the nuts that hold the cover onto the back of it and loosened the bolts that go right through the alternator.

Regards Baz

Good news day sold the Focus so have freed up some money for the rebuild, Tripe has come up trumps on prices for lots of the bits so will be sending an Email to him so that I can get started properly. Have been studying Wayne Dempseys book and got some good tips from it. The cylinders on mine are Nikasil with the right coating, slightly magnetic so these can be honed. Heads are stripped and pistons have been cleaned and look OK. Next job is to be brave and have a go at the head studs, have spoken to Mike Bainbridge and he recommends warming the crank case where the studs go in and then winding them out, simple! Got a Seally engine stand from Ebay £42 delivered, much better for working on the engine.

post-54-1201643802_thumb.jpg

post-54-1201643890_thumb.jpg

post-54-1201643910_thumb.jpg

post-54-1201643931_thumb.jpg

post-54-1201643955_thumb.jpg

What is the consensus of opinion on honing the Nikasil cylinders, in Wayne Dempseys book he says yes to the Nikasil ones but with the right honing tool. Has anyone had this done? Baz

What is the consensus of opinion on honing the Nikasil cylinders, in Wayne Dempseys book he says yes to the Nikasil ones but with the right honing tool. Has anyone had this done? Baz

If it is done properly with the right tools and materials (diamond not carbide or even CBN) I would say OK. Do they need it?

Perfect Bore have a "Nikasil" type coating plant at their site in Andover? I spoke about recoating/refurbing 911 barrells with a 911 engine "expert" (real spanorak) at Perfect Bore about two years ago. Had a really useful conversation and seemed only too happy to advise and educate .....

Baz

neither Bob Watson or Neil Harvey honed the cylinders on my SC during the rebuilds on my engine. I asked why and both said if the cylinders measured within tolerance just leave them alone. I would measure first before thinking about honing.

Here is a picture of the BW rebuild in progress, not the best pictures but you can see the bores have not been honed

BALCHIN_ENGINE_PHOTOS_004a.jpg

BALCHIN_ENGINE_PHOTOS_005.jpg

BALCHIN_ENGINE_PHOTOS_003.jpg

Also its a very very good idea to replace all the exhaust valves. The valve heads are welded to the valve stems and if you guides are very worn then the valve head will have been running hot which can weaken the weld metal.

sterling job tackling this yourself :ani_clapping:

good luck

Thanks for the replies, I will borrow an internal micrometer and have a measure and see how the bores compare. In Wayne Dempseys book he recommends honing to help make a better seal between piston and bore, makes sense to me, better seal better compression more power. Im starting to get the bits together to start rebuilding. Baz

Started getting the exhaust side head studs out today, have done 4 out of 6 on one side of the engine they are well in there with Loctite. A couple came out with 2 nuts locked together and the heat gun on them, the other 2 started moving with mole grips but the last 2 are tight. I have brought a set of stud extractor sockets from Machine Mart and will try them tomorrow. I have found an address of a good powder coater in Thanet so some bits will be getting taken over there soon.

Hopefully the heads will be getting sorted in the next week or two. Baz

All of the exhaust side head studs are out. I have also found a machine shop in Faversham about 20 miles from home that knows Porsche engines, he is going to lightly hone the cylinders and then start on the heads. He will machine out and put inserts in on the offending exhaust ports. Has anyone had SC valves refaced? Are they plated? Its starting to happen now at last. Baz

• 2 weeks later...

Collected honed cylinders, very light cut just taken the glaze off them. Gearbox has gone to be looked at waiting for a verdict. Cheque posted to Tripe for a pile of bits. Machine shop should be looking at heads re valve guides this week. Big pile of bits ready for powder coating take over early next week. Spent most of today cleaning all of the other bits. Stripped and cleaned the airbox. Once the rings and gasket set arrives I can start reassembling. Baz

Not many shiney bits to show yet, have only got a set of barrels ready for rebuild all the rest is in progress. I am waiting on a verdict on the heads and valves. Have had a fright on the gearbox lots of money, will start another thread in the right place. Baz